• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station Made Railcards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Do you have a railcard currently?

If the answer is 'Yes' then you can get the same type of railcard from any staffed station and they'll do it within a few minutes, no new photocard is required.

If the answer is 'No' then it's cheaper to do it online as you can upload a digital photo instead of getting special passport photos, which cost around £5 for 4 little photos. You then get a combined photocard and railcard in one. However, there is the obvious postal delay if you choose that method and you need a valid passport number for them to check that your photo is of you.

mindfeeder

The old photo cards were awful. I remember the last one I had I used so much that the ink that printed the end date came off, had to buy a new one :-x

will1337

Both types can vary as the ink comes off paper tickets especially if it's thin to begin with. The plastic cards you get online can also fade but you have the advantage of only having one piece. I believe if it becomes illegible due to wear you can replace it for free at a station?

Established Member
It is better to get one on the net as you can buy the 3 year one (don't think you could do this the last time I was at the station), and you get a discount compared to buying 3x 1 year ones at the station. This also has the added bonus of meaning you don't have to pay when the price of a railcard goes up.

Even better is that you can buy one up until your 24th birthday so therefore get one until you are nearly 27, which is a year longer than you can with a normal one.

Established Member
personaly nothing beats getting a ticket from a machine, only to get that extra VOID VOID VOID VOID one :lol:

Pumbaa

Established Member
Even better is that you can buy one up until your 24th birthday so therefore get one until you are nearly 27, which is a year longer than you can with a normal one.

Not true - you can only buy the 1yr while you're 24, you can't buy the 3yr card from beyound your 22nd birthday.

barrykas

Established Member
Not true - you can only buy the 1yr while you're 24, you can't buy the 3yr card from beyound your 22nd birthday.

Err...No. You can buy a one year one (assuming you're not in full-time education) up until the day before your 26th birthday. And you can buy a three year one until the day before your 24th birthday.

Cheers,

Barry

Pumbaa

Established Member
Err...No. You can buy a one year one (assuming you're not in full-time education) up until the day before your 26th birthday. And you can buy a three year one until the day before your 24th birthday.

Cheers,

Barry

Ta for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.