• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station with fastest linespeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2555

Does anyone know the fastest station (s) in Southern England where trains pass through at speed? Are there any where speeds are 100mph or more? If so please recommend me a few. Thank you very much
Charlie

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Manchester77

Established Member
Stratford International?
I don't know what speed the passing Eurostars do

Watford Junction?
Ditto but pendolino speed there

oversteer

Does anyone know the fastest station (s) in Southern England where trains pass through at speed? Are there any where speeds are 100mph or more? If so please recommend me a few. Thank you very much
Charlie

Berkhamsted and I think Tring both have "EPS 125" signs so I assume the Pendos go through at full speed.

Lrd

Established Member
Woking is 100mph.

Some of the stations on the way into Paddington must be 125mph.

asylumxl

Established Member
Plenty of places. Places on the Midland Main Line such as Harpenden (110mph in certain directions).

Plenty of places along the Great Western Main Line too, such as West Drayton (125mph I believe).

Lee_Again

There's lots of stations in the South East, and all over England for that matter, where trains pass directly alongside the platforms at 125mph. There are no platforms on HS1 with a passing speed greater than this.

Some stations suffer from congestion that often affects approach speeds, Watford Junction is certainly one of those, but my station, Stevenage, has a regular supply of full line speed trains passing through. There are some excellent stations on the WCML southern section where Pendolino trains pass at maximum speed. One or two additionally have them at full tilt which is quite impressive. I seem to recall Cheddington might be one but somebody will confirm.

I'm not sure about Scotland and/or Wales. There are certainly 125mph sections in both but I'm not sure they are at places directly next to a platform face. Actually, not sure about 125 in Wales. Again, somebody will confirm.

Be careful though. Those yellow lines are there for a reason!!

Railsigns

Established Member
I'm not sure about Scotland and/or Wales. There are certainly 125mph sections in both but I'm not sure they are at places directly next to a platform face.

Permissible speed through both Prestonpans platforms is 125 mph.

Butts

Veteran Member
When I've been standing at Alnmouth and Northallerton the EC Trains seem to hammer through at a great speed - not sure if 100mph.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I've been standing at Alnmouth and Northallerton the EC Trains seem to hammer through at a great speed - not sure if 100mph.

Pretty sure linespeed at Northallerton is 125mph certainly it's 100+.

Butts

Veteran Member
I've cracked out the sectional appendices (they're in the sidebar) so often in the last hour it's unbelievable :P

Alnmouth is only 85, but Northallerton is the full 125.

Thanks for the effort....if the trains could travel at 180mph like the TGV's would any enhancements have to be made to the safe distance from the platform edge.

wintonian

Established Member
West Byfleet to Hook inclusive (UF only) and Micheldever to Shawford inclusive (UM and DM) are 100. Beyond Eastleigh there's nothing above 90.

Not at Winchester ATM theres a speed restriction and has been for a while </pedant>

I don't know what the line speed is through Avoncliff or Southease but with their narrow platforms I tend to feel the need to hold on to something solid so as not to get swept of the platform, which is slightly scary. :|

Lee_Again

Thanks for the effort....if the trains could travel at 180mph like the TGV's would any enhancements have to be made to the safe distance from the platform edge.

I'm fairly certain that TGVs (or similar) are not allowed to travel at full speed alongside a platform face. I don't know what the maximum is. I will try and look through the day.

JGR

I'm fairly certain that TGVs (or similar) are not allowed to travel at full speed alongside a platform face. I don't know what the maximum is. I will try and look through the day.
I've been stood on a platform (at Nuits-St-Georges) when a TGV went past at speed with no warning beyond a few seconds of rail jitter. Though this was perhaps not at full speed as it would likely be stopping in 20 or so km.

In general having lived in France for a while and used the TGV network a fair few times I've never noticed such a restriction.

The Ham

Established Member
A lot of smaller stations on the SWML are also 100. (I actually wonder if it's worth raising the speed a bit south of Basingstoke, even though it would only be of any use to Voyagers.)

...at present, once the overhead cables come along then there maybe a few more trains that could run a little faster (possibility of up to 110mph). It might be worth NR having a policy of reviewing the line speeds wherever they put up overhead cables.

driver_m

Established Member
Watford is 110 on the fast lines. Harrow/tring/apsley all have 125 on the fast lines and either 90/100 on the slows.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I'm not sure about Scotland and/or Wales. There are certainly 125mph sections in both but I'm not sure they are at places directly next to a platform face. Actually, not sure about 125 in Wales. Again, somebody will confirm.

There are as many sections of 125mph track here in Wales as there is electrified track: none. The North Wales Coast tops out at 90, as does the Marches Line (either side of the border). Even on the straight, level route between Cardiff and Newport the linespeed on the fasts is 95 (HST differential) and there aren't any intermediate stations on that section for this thread.

There is a tiny smidge of 100mph track near Pyle, but I can't recall if it's through the station itself.

EDIT: A glance at the sectional appendix tells me that it is 100mph (HST) through Pyle.

Last edited:

TGV

Nuits-St-Georges is not on an LGV, it is a classic 1500v DC line. Linespeed through the station is 160km/h (100mph in UK money), so not much different to many UK stations. Even then, the linespeed just north towards Dijon is 140km/h. Although it is TGVs that pass through, they are on "F-DC" classique mode. One platform at Ebbsfleet will have the highest passing linespeed in the UK which under certain circumstances will be 230km/h (about 142mph) but in practice this is rarely if ever used. As far as I'm aware, platforms on stretches which are signalled for 300km/h voie libre are not permitted anywhere.

The southernmost station on the ECML with 125mph lines is technically Knebworth although given that the change to/from 125 is only just south of the station, it's unlikely trains will be actually at that when they pass through. Stevenage is a better bet which is 125mph on platform faces. Then there's Biggleswade, St Neots and the next one is possibly Northallerton where the line is 125mph AND platform facing. Huntingdon is 125 up and down but no platforms on the fast lines. PBO has restriction and no platforms on fasts, Grantham has restriction as does Newark, Retford no fast platforms, same for Doncaster. York obviously not, Thirsk no fast platforms then it's Northallerton.

Last edited:

BrownE

Ebbsfleet has a line speed of 'over 125' - I'm not entirely sure what it actually is. However... Where trains pass at speeds greater than 125 mph (through the platform) - access to the platform is to be restricted.

Part 9.1 of GIRT7016 refers to this.

9.1 Aerodynamic effects of passenger trains passing at speeds greater
than 125 mph

9.1.1 At station platforms where the permissible or enhanced permissible speed on the adjacent line is greater than 125 mph, people shall be prevented from gaining access to the parts of the platform expos

starrymarkb

Established Member
I've been stood on a platform (at Nuits-St-Georges) when a TGV went past at speed with no warning beyond a few seconds of rail jitter. Though this was perhaps not at full speed as it would likely be stopping in 20 or so km.

In general having lived in France for a while and used the TGV network a fair few times I've never noticed such a restriction.

IIRC TGVs are limited to 200km/h on the Classic lines...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ebbsfleet has a line speed of 'over 125' - I'm not entirely sure what it actually is. However... Where trains pass at speeds greater than 125 mph (through the platform) - access to the platform is to be restricted.

IIRC it's 230km/h

TGV

As stated earlier, it's 230km/h - platform 4.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Curious- why does that platform have a high linepseed when none of the others do?

Status
Not open for further replies.