• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Station with fastest linespeed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rich McLean

Established Member
Many Stations on the GWML including Didcot Parkway and Slough have HSTs passing through at 125mph several times a day

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Plaform 1 is an International-only platform in the other direction too- yet I rather infer from this discussion that it doesn't have a high linespeed

notadriver

Established Member
TGVs can run at up to 220 kph (137 mph) thanks to KVB on classic lines.

What about Ashford? Not on a platform - but you might see trains passing on the flyover at up to 270 kph (168 mph)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
There are as many sections of 125mph track here in Wales as there is electrified track: none. The North Wales Coast tops out at 90, as does the Marches Line (either side of the border). Even on the straight, level route between Cardiff and Newport the linespeed on the fasts is 95 (HST differential) and there aren't any intermediate stations on that section for this thread.

There is a tiny smidge of 100mph track near Pyle, but I can't recall if it's through the station itself.

EDIT: A glance at the sectional appendix tells me that it is 100mph (HST) through Pyle.
I thought a fair bit of the line between Cardiff and Swansea was 100mph, certainly never heard of anything higher than 100mph in Wales though. What's the best spot on the GWML near Wales for filming FirstGW IC125s doing 125mph (is there any service that is actually guaranteed to be doing 125mph at a given point?)

Status
Not open for further replies.