• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with excellent facilities....not provided by the station, but adjacent businesses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So which significant stations are a bit rubbish in terms of retail, toilet and/or restaurant facilities, but actually have really good ones because of immediately adjacent businesses?

Here's a few:
Fort William - McDonald's and Morrisons
Windermere - Booths
Aylesbury - Morrisons
Exmouth - M&S Food Hall (thanks @WesternBiker)

Any more?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
It's in the station itself but The Stottie Company at Middlesbrough is outstanding.

Edit*

Just realised it doesn't really fit the spirit of the thread. It's a great place though!

Last edited:

Llandudno

Established Member
Derby - Fish & Chip Shop, Off Licence & basic shop, Two fabulous pubs, Brunswick and Alexandra….oh and according to a friend there is a massage parlour opposite the station entrance…!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So which significant stations are a bit rubbish in terms of retail, toilet and/or restaurant facilities, but actually have really good ones because of immediately adjacent businesses?

Here's a few:
Fort William - McDonald's and Morrisons
Windermere - Booths
Aylesbury - Morrisons
Exmouth - M&S Food Hall (thanks @WesternBiker)

Any more?
Haven’t you previously mentioned Clapham Junction, possibly in connection with problems getting in and out?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Haven’t you previously mentioned Clapham Junction, possibly in connection with problems getting in and out?

Ah yes, the shopping mall (in common with Liverpool Central which has a very similar arrangement) isn't technically part of the station.

Actually there you go - Liverpool Central - Sainsbury's Local and Costa in the mall straight outside.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The most extreme example would be MetroCentre station - virtually no facilities in the station, but the shopping centre which joins into the station is one of the largest in Britain (indeed within a minute's walk of the station exit there is a Greggs, a Subway, and a Wetherspoons).

py_megapixel

Established Member
I find the row of shops just outside Manchester Piccadilly station (Co-Op, Greggs and also a couple of coffee shops and other miscellanea) to be far more handy than anything in the actual station retail area, and depending on which platform you're at it might actually not be any further to walk

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Liverpool Central:

Sainsbury's & Greggs

Edit: I must remember to real ALL the previous posts!

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The Tesco next to Ely Station is very handy to pick up lunch or a coffee between changing trains.

DB

Ilkley - the trainshed is an M&S Food, and most of the rest of the station building is various eateries.

MikeWM

Established Member
The Tesco next to Ely Station is very handy to pick up lunch or a coffee between changing trains.

You beat me to that one :) For other things too (eg. cash machine; the one in the station disappeared fairly recently, not sure why).

There's a Tesco right next to Sheringham, which is certainly a rather 'spartan' station with minimal facilities.

The Sainsburys next to Spalding probably meets the criteria too, though you do have to cross a road.

PR1Berske

Established Member
I find the row of shops just outside Manchester Piccadilly station (Co-Op, Greggs and also a couple of coffee shops and other miscellanea) to be far more handy than anything in the actual station retail area, and depending on which platform you're at it might actually not be any further to walk
And Piccadilly Tap!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The most extreme example would be MetroCentre station - virtually no facilities in the station, but the shopping centre which joins into the station is one of the largest in Britain (indeed within a minute's walk of the station exit there is a Greggs, a Subway, and a Wetherspoons).
That's an amusing contrast with Meadowhall: a similarly expansive mall, but the platforms are a long (mercifully covered) walk from the mall proper. There's a convenience store halfway along the walk, where the bus station access is though.

On topic, Mirfield has no facilities to speak of but there's a nearby Lidl and the Navigation Inn. Walk a bit further and you've got the Co-op, Tesco Express and at least two decent chippies.

jamesst

Liverpool Central:

Sainsbury's & Greggs

Edit: I must remember to real ALL the previous posts!

Not forgetting the infamous Lobster Pot chippy, most of the manky 'food' which ended up on the station platforms (already eaten or not) on a Friday/Saturday night...

Aictos

Established Member
Edinburgh has the Half Way House public house opposite the station
Rainham (Kent) has the The Railway House public house opposite the station

AGH

Southport must be a contender. Nothing to speak of in the station. Lots outside. Frodsham is well served off site and my personal favourites are Irlam and Urmston which have great pubs in the old railway stations which are technically no longer on the railway estate.

Egg Centric

Furthermore, it was given planning permission for something or other (I forget what) on the condition that they extended the station car park into their own car park. Then decided it was 'too difficult' and the council let it stand. So 15 years ago I used to park there on principle (plus it was free and I was an impecunious student).

Not recommended now in the days of ANPR but they just used to leave me polite notes.

Interestingly (or not) cumberland sausages were half the price then from the hot food counter. VAT being added to hot food is partially responsible, but not the main cause.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
....... it was given planning permission for something or other (I forget what) on the condition that they extended the station car park into their own car park. Then decided it was 'too difficult' and the council let it stand.

Sounds like another brown envelope job!

Ianigsy

Saltaire benefits from all the facilities of Salts Mill as well as the ice cream boat on the canal.

Egg Centric

Radlett has some delicious takeaways very close by

Rickmansworth has an extremely close Waitrose (they share the same car park, just different levels).

Neither are 'destination stations' though.

Would Birmingham New Street count? :D

Yes I was wondering about this too. Unclear (to me) what is station there and what isn't. You could partly say the same about St Pancras in fact.

Egg Centric

Dundee station too.

I haven't been since the recent redevelopment but Elephant and Castle certainly was another 'New Street-like' station in terms of everything being in a shopping centre surrounding

Status
Not open for further replies.