• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations With Largest Step Down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevconnor

Whitehaven feels like it has both a vertical gap from being low down in parts of the platform and horizontally distant due to the curvature of the platform. Last time I was there I misjudged getting off and nearly face planted the platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
The Epsom-bound platform at Raynes Park has quite a step in a few areas - again, curvature is the primary cause of it!

Not sure if it's been changed - I doubt it! - but without the Harrington Hump, Newton St Cyres has a significant step between train and platform.

DorkingMain

The Epsom-bound platform at Raynes Park has quite a step in a few areas - again, curvature is the primary cause of it!

Not sure if it's been changed - I doubt it! - but without the Harrington Hump, Newton St Cyres has a significant step between train and platform.
The Raynes Park-bound platform at Epsom isn't much better either :lol:

Egg Centric

Bushey's pretty bad (apart from overground). Haven't been to most of these other stations so can't really compare. Could folk who have been to some start making comparative rankings, per chance?

Edit: @Pigeon are you the Pigeon from PH and then CTF?

Established Member
Anywhere with a Harrington Hump is among the worst in Britain and I think 156s are quite high up to start with. I thought the step at Burscough Junction was particularly bad but Northwich is the worst I’ve seen. A good 14 inches at least.

scrapy

Established Member
Dalton in Furness is so bad (towards Barrow) only one door can be opened on the hump on class 195s and class 150s banned from stopping there. This is due to both a large gap (where doors are 2/3 way down the carriage) and large vertical step.

Established Member
Dalton in Furness is so bad (towards Barrow) only one door can be opened on the hump on class 195s and class 150s banned from stopping there. This is due to both a large gap (where doors are 2/3 way down the carriage) and large vertical step.
What did they do there before they had the 195s?

Killingworth

Established Member
We can't realistically raise all these platforms. Class 745 and 755 trains go a long way to ease the problem. Are there examples to show how well they do?

Pokelet

Worcester Foregate P1 has a sizeable vertical gap and then towards the Droitwich end the platform curves with the train canted away. The diagonal distance is massive.

Furryanimal

Worcester Foregate P1 has a sizeable vertical gap and then towards the Droitwich end the platform curves with the train canted away. The diagonal distance is massive.
I always found getting on an HST at Worcester Foregate Street quite a problem.
Fortunately i’ve never had to get off one there.
i hate huge gaps between the train and platform more.

HST43257

Established Member
That’s no problem now really. Harrington Hump installed & only the single set of front doors of the 755 are released.
Is that not exactly the point of @Killingworth? The question was whether 755s had made any important difference anywhere and I raised Spooner Row, given the lower floor of the train and also the hump.

DustyBin

Established Member
Heighington now has a hump but until recently the platform was very low. I used to literally jump out of a 142 when I used the station!

dk1

Veteran Member
Is that not exactly the point of @Killingworth? The question was whether 755s had made any important difference anywhere and I raised Spooner Row, given the lower floor of the train and also the hump.
Oh yes. Don’t think I read the previous question to your reply. We stop a little short of where we used to with 170/156 units (I miss looking at the chickens) & tbh can’t recall whether the moveable steps are still in the shelter. Not needed now of course.

Last edited:

Neptune

Established Member
From what I sign:-

Ben Rhydding on the up is a very large drop made worse by the curve.

Horton-in-Ribblesdale up platform is also a huge drop and despite the Harrington Hump I’ve still had people board on the lower section of platform and complain about the big jump up onto the train!

Church Fenton platform 4 as previously mentioned. It’s a little bit lower than ideal but nowhere near as bad as the two above.

Gargrave was mentioned above but the lower section is only used when train lengths are longer than 2 cars (there are a few 3 car 158’s booked on the S&C and Lancaster services plus a 4 car on the first up service of the day). In which case it’s a case of telling them to use the appropriate section if leaving there and nobody ever waits to board on the lower section of the platform. It’s a quiet station anyway so never been a problem.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
In HST, pre-redoubling days at Charlbury, it was common for trains to slightly overshoot the stop, such that the bike door on carriage A was aligned with the end-of-platform ramp. Many times I’d be at the door handing bikes down to fellow bike commuters.

HSP 2

I'm surprised that St Bees has not been mentioned yet as it was the main baling (sorry) point when the 37s were working on the Cumbrian coast. A very large step up and down on both platforms.

CJSwan

The down platform, Perth bound, at Gleneagles has quite a considerable step down, mainly due to the can’t of the curve. I’ve nearly torn trousers stepping on and off an HST there!

mike57

Established Member
Most of the small stations on the Hull Scarborough line have low platforms, Arram, Hutton Cranswick, Nafferton, Bempton, Hunmanby. Humps have been put in which at least give one carriage to get out of with out too much of a drop. If you able bodied and get on or off elsewhere its not too bad, but if you are carrying luggage or a bike then its more difficult. Problem is bike area frequently doesn't align with hump. If we are expecting visitors arriving at our local station and know that they have mobilty issues we try and explain which carriage to get into. Equally the wheel chair area doesn't always line up, but the guard seemed to be able to cope on the one occasion I have seen a wheel chair user at our local station. The access is step free, but there is a short but steep slope off the railway property which would be a challenge.

Its just not possible to raise every platform, the cost would be way beyond any benefit, the humps seem to help, but there occasions where its more difficult.

Parallel

Established Member
Newton St Cyres had a very large step down before it got a Harrington hump! I’m fairly tall and found it quite extreme. No idea how shorter/less mobile people managed it!

Bayum

Established Member
Oxenholme the Lake District always had an issue with a steep drop or maybe it was Penrith North Lakes…

snookertam

Crosshill on the Cathcart Circle, inner circle line (towards Glasgow Central) is a very wide gap due to the tight curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.