• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations with Metal Platforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Following from the wooden platforms can anyone name the ones with metal platforms. Can recall walking on cage type metal platform recently but not sure if it was in this country.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kylemore

Following from the wooden platforms can anyone name the ones with metal platforms. Can recall walking on cage type metal platform recently but not sure if it was in this country.

Just a thought if it was on an electrified line you could electrocute all the waiting punters simply by connecting the third rail or overhead to the platform:lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Most of the two new side platforms at Rugby are a steel frame construction, they only used mass concrete where the buildings stand.

asylumxl

Established Member
Just a thought, any metal platform would probably have a non metal top surface which would provide insulation. Even if electricity reached the platform, it would go through the metal structure bypassing you.

kylemore

Interesting to note that you are laughing at the thought of this occurring.

Ahem....

The remark was a humourous non serious one, as indicated by the LOL, it's called Black Humour, I assure you that I would not take pleasure at the sight of a platform full of twitching punters!

As Oscar Wilde said "LIGHTEN UP" (well maybe Oscar didn't say that....):(

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Ahem....

The remark was a humourous non serious one, as indicated by the LOL, it's called Black Humour, I assure you that I would not take pleasure at the sight of a platform full of twitching punters!

As Oscar Wilde said "LIGHTEN UP" (well maybe Oscar didn't say that....):(

Well at best it was a crass comment and by trying to justify it you are only digging a deeper hole. My advice would be to stop digging.

Clip

Established Member
Just a thought if it was on an electrified line you could electrocute all the waiting punters simply by connecting the third rail or overhead to the platform:lol:

Rubber soled shoes would put paid to that though :lol:

transmanche

Established Member
No but on a forum such as this it would be nice to at least make the effort!
Well there's no way he'd know that you be offended by a bad joke. And that's all it was. It obviously wasn't a malicious attempt to offend. Just click and move on...

richw

Veteran Member
Get out the wrong side of bed today?

You beat me to this, was clearly a bit of light hearted humour, I thought was quite funny. It's not like it will happen.anyway. :lol:

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
As humour is entirely subjective I don't really think anyone is in a position to comment on the likelihood of his success.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
As humour is entirely subjective I don't really think anyone is in a position to comment on the likelihood of his success.

Thats very true! However, poor taste humour should always be considered risky and at best be described as 'edgy'. I'm not so sure that 'edgy' has a place on a public forum that's all.

mirodo

Thats very true! However, poor taste humour should always be considered risky and at best be described as 'edgy'. I'm not so sure that 'edgy' has a place on a public forum that's all.

Indeed. It probably amperes his chances of his post being taken seriously.

Looks like you've come up against some resistance to the very valid point you made... Sometimes, the truth hertz. It's not your volt.

Indeed. It probably amperes his chances of his post being taken seriously.

Looks like you've come up against some resistance to the very valid point you made... Sometimes, the truth hertz. It's not your volt.
Ohm my God, that was bad. Watt made you tell that joke? I'll get my coat, I'm off Ohm anyway

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
HALT...HALT...HALT

Hands up all who think this thread has gone wildly off-thread....<(

Can I ask a question connected with the thread. When the railway stations on the Styal line, such as Mauldeth Road, Burnage, East Didsbury and Gatley were given platform upgrades, were these platforms of a metal-base construction ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
HALT...HALT...HALT

Hands up all who think this thread has gone wildly off-thread....<(

Can I ask a question connected with the thread. When the railway stations on the Styal line, such as Mauldeth Road, Burnage, East Didsbury and Gatley were given platform upgrades, were these platforms of a metal-base construction ?

I wouldn't say it's gone off thread, more off-topic ;), but not to a massive degree anyway.

Mauldeth Rd, Burnage, East Didsbury and Gatley certainly appear to be of metal base, yes, like a lot of other stations built / rebuilt over the last decade or so.

gage75

Hayes and Harlington P1 extension to cater for the 2x5 Adelente units is made of metal with a non conductive surface

fgwrich

Established Member
As is the fairly stupid new one at Templecombe - Whilst it's lightweight and can be removed easily, i know i'd rather have seen the money go towards extending the track & signalling back into the station allowing it to act as a passing loop too / continuing with the doubling of the mule.

Status
Not open for further replies.