• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you don't want to go to/be at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you get chance this summer you could always get the train to Ribblehead, alight and then walk over Blea Moor into Dent Dale. The walk is very easy to follow and I'm sure other forum members would be happy to join you. Or you could alight at Dent and walk over the Coal Road to Garsdale. In terms of alternative transport options your only hope is a part time mini cab!

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your day out on the S & C. Have you tried the Cumbrian Coast line, it's well worth a day out, although I'm not sure it's do able from Leeds or Manchester. Happy travels starmill!

I forgot to ask why was the train delayed?

I have indeed done the Cumbrian Coast - though it's rather longer than the S and C and somewhat more wearing if you get what I mean - less comfy train too. It is possible in the day from both Manchester and Leeds if you are prepared to be on first trains from them. It feels, if anything, even more exposed - and even brutal at times. Back in the context of this thread, perhaps Braystones and Nethertown are candidates for their remote location and very poor service!

The guard said a coal train was the cause of our delay - but I couldn't find a likely freight that had held us up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12CSVT

Established Member
All the unstaffed stations between Streatham - Wimbledon - Sutton (for similar reasons that other posters have mentioned Chatham, Gillingham, Luton, Bridgwater)

Last time I was at Manchester Victoria it was full of dodgy characters (apparantly from G4S), trying to mug unsuspecting joe public of £80

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The guard said a coal train was the cause of our delay - but I couldn't find a likely freight that had held us up!

I expect it was this one.

I wouldn't fancy the walk over the Coal Road. I drove it once in a Toyota Aygo, that was interesting enough! The walk to Dent village is worth it though, for the beer.

Katketty

Glasgow Central on a Saturday night. You've got BTP dealing with drunks crowding on to the last local trains on the low level platforms, then running back up to the high level platforms to meet more drunks coming off the Virgin or XC services. Drivers sounding their horns as yet more drunks crowd the trains preventing them from leaving, the shouts as two groups come to blows... Then of course if you do need to take a train home, you have to deal with people fighting on the train as the on board staff stay in the cabs and leave things to work themselves out. Quite lovely.

Clip

Established Member
Ill add my voice to the chorus of the Medway stations. Grim. Bleak. well maybe Rochester is ok given the view but still, its medway isnt it.

Dumton park is all that either.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Anderston. The leakiest, coldest station I've ever used (I've only ever used it twice, mercifully). Every time I've passed through, there has been at least one 'wet floor' sign or a bucket to catch the water. Refurbishment can't come soon enough.

user15681

Established Member
Ill add my voice to the chorus of the Medway stations. Grim. Bleak. well maybe Rochester is ok given the view but still, its medway isnt it.

Dumton park is all that either.

+1 to all of them. Not so bad up until 8am, but then after...

bramling

Veteran Member
I spent 45 minutes at Kirkby (Merseyside) today. The old woman going through the bins and tracksuit-wearing youths deciding to slip through fences to take a shortcut over the line adding to the time spent at this terminus made me wonder what other places on the network you'd rather avoid and why.

Thinking through, some random places which are unpleasant for one reason or another:

~ Aylesham - always seems full of unpleasant people, especially at night.
~ Hampden Park - "
~ many of the Coastway stations - quite troublesome at certain times, especially west of Brighton.
~ Hilsea - In middle of industrial area, plus always seems to have unpleasant types hanging around.
~ Cosham - not bad location but often chavs hanging around.
~ Reading West ~ immediate area is awful, and station seems to find use as a short-cut.
~ Sandy - perhaps surprising as the place outwardly doesn't seem too bad, but I find this town deeply depressing for some reason, a combination of the people there and the way the town is cut up by the A1. Station area often seems to have kids hanging around causing problems.
~ Leagrave - in a rough area.
~ Hatfield & Stainforth - not a pleasant place.
~ Lawrence Hill - rough area.
~ Stapleton Road - not much better than Lawrence Hill.
~ Ore - station seems to get vandalised on a daily basis.
~ Weeley - often kids hanging around causing problems.
~ Ifield - rough area.
~ Rainham, Purfleet, Grays, Chafford Hundred, Ockendon - awful places, though to be fair station are not too bad as tend to have a staff presence.
~ Glasshoughton - next to out-of-town type leisure complex, station always getting smashed up.
~ Thorne South - dump.
~ Chapeltown - dump.
~ Hattersley - dump.
~ Trafford Park - rough area.
~ Moston - station quite deserted.
~ Blackpool North - some very unpleasant and unhelpful station staff there.

Crossover

Established Member
I expect it was this one.

That looks like it - one does have to wonder with all that slack in the timings why it wasn't held a little longer! Nearly 4 hours late to 30 mins early at one point!

Thinking through, some random places which are unpleasant for one reason or another:
~ Blackpool North - some very unpleasant and unhelpful station staff there.

Agreed 100% on Blackpool North!

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Hattersley...You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. I feel sorry for the few decent residents

Brinnington... If you are not pregnant and had kids by 14 you feel left out.

Mauldeth Road too many Students paying their £1 evening returns by debit card and rumour is there is the odd dodgy character here that sometimes uses that station! hehe

Last edited:

We have an unwritten rule in Glasgow. If a train station has a really nice name, it's either a horrible place or there's nothing there at all.

• Summerston
  • Maryhill
  • Mount Florida
  • Singer
  • Milliken Park
  • Fort Matilda
  • Alexandria

bramling

Veteran Member
We have an unwritten rule in Glasgow. If a train station has a really nice name, it's either a horrible place or there's nothing there at all.

• Summerston
  • Maryhill
  • Mount Florida
  • Singer
  • Milliken Park
  • Fort Matilda
  • Alexandria

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten to list Alexandria! Never been off there, but from the train the place looked hurrendous!

Strathclyder

Established Member

• Summerston
  • Maryhill
  • Mount Florida
  • Singer
  • Milliken Park
  • Fort Matilda
  • Alexandria

That's my local station!

Genocide

Suggested previously but - in the old days - Blackpool North.

In the early-mid 80's they really did have a nasty set of nutters on the barriers who were quite prepared to let drunk idiots through but they'd pull bashers.

Maybe it was easier for them. Poulton and Kirkham benefitted because you'd sacrifice miles to avoid the hossing at North.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Who in the right mind would want to get on or off a train at Severn Tunnel Junction?

Does anything exist in the station area?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Who in the right mind would want to get on or off a train at Severn Tunnel Junction?

Hello!

Does anything exist in the station area?

From a brief exploration I would suggest that there are a few houses a couple of hundred meters away and that's about it. I didn't exactly have much time as I was taking advantage of the train I was on having a 7 or 8 minutes dwell at the station.

That's my local station!

It's my local station late at night, when I can't be bothered waiting half an hour for the next Clydebank train. :D

Seriously, Singer has a much better train service. Although Clydebank does have the fantastic 8:05 train that goes all the way to Hyndland without stopping.

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten to list Alexandria! Never been off there, but from the train the place looked hurrendous!

Alexandria has a few tower blocks. It's where West Dunbartonshire houses a lot of junkies. I know, one of my cousins is up there.

Last edited:

Balham station can be quite bad. I also thought Perth and Glasgow QS were horrible. a, because theres only diesel and b because the platform at queen street was slippery.
Purley (main) gets freaky in the morning but Purley (oaks) was perfectly fine.

plastictaffy

Newport - dump of a station, dump of a town, stuck on the edge of a dump of a country.
Coventry - had a PNB late at night there some weeks ago. Got asked by four chavs for a light between the platform and the messroom. The sort of chavs that you don't like to say no to.......
London Victoria - had the misfortune of visiting that terminus today - what a dingy, horrid place.

Con

Going across the Irish Sea, Broomebridge on the Maynooth commuter service is one of the dodgiest places on any railway in Britain and Ireland. It's often entered in Irish Rail's Best Kept Station competition purely as a ****take but for some reason never wins..

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
In reply to some of the earlier suggestions, based on personal experience:
Euston - agree its a dump inside, but the area outside with the various sausage/pasty vendors isn't bad.
Birmingham New Street - hellhole, avoid.
Southminster - pub was open when I went, and very pleasant too.
Alexandria - bit of a wasteland, I flabbergasted a local bus driver there by asking for a ticket to Luss (where I was staying) rather than getting the train to Balloch like anyone sane would (the perils of shack-scratching! )Wakefield kirkgate - scruffy but improved

And a couple more contenders:
Leeds - add 10 minutes to your journey time to exit the station
Whitland - probably the dullest place I've ever changed trains

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
What have people got against Leeds? Since the rebuild I think it is perfectly pleasant for a very busy urban terminal.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Seriously, Singer has a much better train service. Although Clydebank does have the fantastic 8:05 train that goes all the way to Hyndland without stopping.
Singer has the 8:09 service which only calls at Maryhill & Possilpark & Parkhouse en-route to Queen Street. A very convenient train when I'm working at Townhead on certain days of the week.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
What have people got against Leeds? Since the rebuild I think it is perfectly pleasant for a very busy urban terminal.

It takes 10 minutes to get out of the place. This is due to everyone being funneled into one exit, fumbling with their tickets at the inept barriers, forcing their way past everyone coming in dodging the queues at the food vendors inside, dodging the bus/taxi queues outside, and so on.

For anyone heading from stations between Moston and Todmorden to York and beyond, Hebden Bridge, Dewsbury or even Garforth are far more pleasant changing places.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Mauldeth Road too many Students paying their £1 evening returns by debit card and rumour is there is the odd dodgy character here that sometimes uses that station! hehe

Watch it! :p

And for the record, your colleagues are generally very pleased with my helpful change denominations ;) And it's £0.95 too!

Status
Not open for further replies.