• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stations you would rename.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
Reading West--->Reading Grotty Part
Reading---->Reading Nicer Part

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In fairness, the existence of Burscough Bridge station rather requires this - unless you're proposing having stations named Burscough Bridge and Burscough not-Bridge.

I suppose you could change it to "Burscough Junction Lane" (though the lane was named after the junction!) or, really pushing the boat out, the two to "Burscough Central" and "Burscough South", though the latter wouldn't work if/when Burscough Mill Dam Lane (proposed in the 70s) ever gets built, which if there's housing built around there and Merseyrail is extended it may well do.

Don't get the idea of renaming Wolverton or Bletchley, you would soon have people moaning "why am I 4 miles away from where I thought I was going?"

To be fair, the original renaming proposal was before Milton Keynes Central was proposed, I believe.

geoffk

Established Member
James Street to Liverpool Waterfront

Mainly for tourism reasons
Appropriate if St. James station reopens. Edit: already mentioned. What about light rail stations/stops - several Metrolink stops come to mind. Burton Road should perhaps be renamed Withington and Withington to Princess Road.

Last edited:

Purple Orange

On Moderation

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Whilst 'Piccadilly Circus' in London was built as recently as 1819, the nearby 'Piccadilly' roadway predates that.

Apparently, it was once known as Portugal Street, named for Catherine of Braganza, Charles II's Portuguese wife in the latter half of the 17th Century. When exactly it was renamed as Piccadilly is unknown — both names existed simultaneously until around the 1740s.

There was a Pikadilly Hall in the area a century or so earlier.

Happy to concede that the London 'Piccadilly' predates the slightly less upmarket version in Manchester.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Horwich Parkway to either Middlebrook or Middlebrook Stadium, which is what I thought it would be called.

There is more than the airport there. Probably more people use it to go to the NEC.

I would call it "Birmingham Airport (for the NEC)", the latter being a subscript on the signs only. I think there was a scheme to actually do that, wasn't there, but it was dropped due to cost?

Birmingham International does confuse people, I've been asked if it was the centre before by another passenger, because "New Street" sounds like some obscure mini-station.

LLivery

Established Member
Caledonian Road & Barnsbury -> Barnsbury
Shoreditch High Street -> Shoreditch
Brondesbury -> Brondesbury Kilburn
Norwood Jun -> South Norwood Junction
Catford -> Catford Thameslink
Wellingborough -> Wellingborough for Rushden (like Alnmouth)
University -> Birmingham University (University is as descriptive as calling London Bridge "Bridge")
Staines -> Staines-upon-Thames (half serious)
West Drayton -> West Drayton & Yiewsley

I also feel like Stratford Int'l should change, but no idea to what.

SargeNpton

Established Member
University -> Birmingham University (University is as descriptive as calling London Bridge "Bridge")

Sorry, you'll need to explain further about Rushden. Following that logic, every station in the country would have to list any nearby town. It's not even as if Wellingborough station has a convenient bus link to Rushden.

Glenfield

From my local area, I would suggest....

Paisley St James > Paisley St Mirren (right next to St Mirren's stadium)
Paisley Gilmour Street > Paisley Central
Paisley Canal > Paisley South
Hawkhead > Paisley East
Mosspark > Cardonald South (Mosspark, the area is a mile away and has Corkerhill Stn.)
Bishopton > Bishopton & Dargavel
Woodhall > Port Glasgow East
Port Glasgow > Port Glasgow Central
Bogston > Port Glasgow West
Cartsdyke > Greenock East
Branchton > Greenock South

I would also say that a lot of Glasgow's stations need renamed as the names don't always convey what they are near i.e Mount Florida > Hampden and High Street > Merchant City

class26

The reason i suggest renaming Birmingham International to Birmingham Airport is that it is amazing how people do not realise that the airport has a railway station and it is on a mainline and served by numerous trains. Adding (for the NEC) is a good idea.

AngusH

London Liverpool Street to something else (maybe London Bishopsgate)?

I seem to recall another thread where this was proposed to prevent confusion at Stansted Airport between trains going to Liverpool Lime Street (the actual city of Liverpool) and trains going to London Liverpool street (the London Station).

Unlikely I suppose...

Mikey C

Established Member
The stations in Kilburn don't seem very helpfully named, with the Jubilee Line station called "Kilburn" being the furthest away from the centre of Kilburn, and indeed further away than the Overground station called Brondesbury! Thus I'd rename
Kilburn - North Kilburn
Brondesbury - Kilburn and Brondesbury

I'd also rename Hendon to West Hendon, to reflect where the National Rail station is

Wolfie

Established Member

Caledonian Road and Barnsbury is on Caledonian Road but not in Barnsbury!

Shoreditch High Street was given it's name to distinguish it from the former East London line terminus station.

Catford station is not only served by Thameslink trains so your proposed renaming is misleading and could cause confusion.

PeterC

Established Member
Caledonian Road and Barnsbury is on Caledonian Road but not in Barnsbury!

Shoreditch High Street was given it's name to distinguish it from the former East London line terminus station.

Catford station is not only served by Thameslink trains so your proposed renaming is misleading and could cause confusion.
There was only a three year gap between closing Shoreditch and opening Shoreditch High Street so it was necessary to make it clear that it was at a different location. I think that it would be reasonable to drop "High Street" from the name when the station becomes due for some redecoration.

Wolfie

Established Member
There was only a three year gap between closing Shoreditch and opening Shoreditch High Street so it was necessary to make it clear that it was at a different location. I think that it would be reasonable to drop "High Street" from the name when the station becomes due for some redecoration.
Except that the cost of redoing maps etc is non-trivial.

Trackman

Established Member
Horwich Parkway to either Middlebrook or Middlebrook Stadium, which is what I thought it would be called.
That's a good shout, it should be called Middlebrook.
They changed the boundary so it was in Horwich rather than Lostock.
Oddly enough if you leave the station and walk either down the left or right hand side of the road you are in Lostock, but the road itself is in the Horwich.
St Anne's on the Sea should be St Anne's on Sea
I'd call it St. Annes, most people do.
Manchester Piccadilly back to Manchester London Road, ...
Sounds horrible, I suppose you could call it after its original name Store Street.
London road just sounds depressing.
(Shame Victoria Park and Moss Side don't have stations, as they'd fit the "stations that sound nice but aren't" thing if they did! :) )
That's an understatement, there is a 'Moss Side' station on the Blackpool South line.
I dropped someone off near Moss Side Manchester about 1am on a Sunday morning in the 80s. As we approached the lights there were lads knocking about, he told me if the lights turn red keep going and if we stopped behind a car leave plenty of space so we can make a quick getaway!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I dropped someone off near Moss Side Manchester about 1am on a Sunday morning in the 80s. As we approached the lights there were lads knocking about, he told me if the lights turn red keep going and if we stopped behind a car leave plenty of space so we can make a quick getaway!

I've lived there on the Rusholme side and it wasn't bad, far less trouble than you got in the actual student areas. But it's hardly salubrious :)

SargeNpton

Established Member
The two Hammersmith stations and the two Edgware Road stations on the London Underground.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The two Hammersmith stations and the two Edgware Road stations on the London Underground.

The two Hammersmith stations are directly opposite each other across the road. The walk between them is shorter than the walk between lines through the tunnels at many other Tube stations. So I think I'd leave those alone.

Edgware Road I would probably agree, they are not as near to each other.

I don't entirely get why Bank and Monument are named separately; one side of me would rename the whole thing to Bank-Monument.

Trackman

Established Member
I've lived there on the Rusholme side and it wasn't bad, far less trouble than you got in the actual student areas. But it's hardly salubrious :)
A long time ago I went out with a girl from Rusholme, I could write a book about that. Her house was an old Victorian terrace and the bathroom didn't have any windows!

Back on on topic, talking of stations reverting to old names I nominate Kearsley to go back to Stoneclough.
You could also rename Farnworth to Farnworth and Kearsley North as it is right on the border. Technically speaking if you stand outside the booking office you are in Kearsley.

Bungle158

Reading West--->Reading Grotty Part
Reading---->Reading Nicer Part
Not quite accurate for Reading West as some of the streets off Oxford Road are quite pleasing. The exit towards Tilehurst Road gives access to some 'leafy' thoroughfares and is not far from Prospect Park.

SargeNpton

Established Member
The two Hammersmith stations are directly opposite each other across the road. The walk between them is shorter than the walk between lines through the tunnels at many other Tube stations. So I think I'd leave those alone.

Edgware Road I would probably agree, they are not as near to each other.

I don't entirely get why Bank and Monument are named separately; one side of me would rename the whole thing to Bank-Monument.
Though the two Hammersmith stations are close you can't see one directly from the entrance of the other. First time I visited Hammersmith I ended up at the wrong one after a concert and couldn't work out why there were no trains back to where I'd come from.

Lewlew

How about Tring Station. It's at least a mile outside of Tring! Not sure what you'd call it though!
You could call it "Tring Station" station as the area around the station is shown as that on Google Maps.

Same thing for Micheldever.

MarlowDonkey

Though the two Hammersmith stations are close you can't see one directly from the entrance of the other. First time I visited Hammersmith I ended up at the wrong one after a concert and couldn't work out why there were no trains back to where I'd come from.

There used to be two stations named Shepherd's Bush. As they are gettng on for a mile apart, it's perhaps just as well that one of them is now Shepherd's Bush Market. The Central Line station and West London line station are still both Shepherd's Bush but are adjacent.

Mikey C

Established Member
The 2 Hammersmith stations felt closer together before the District/Piccadilly station was redeveloped with that shopping centre

Status
Not open for further replies.