• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam engine Tornado trapped on North Yorkshire Moors Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcmal

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-43387839
A historic steam locomotive is to be moved by road after it became trapped on a railway line following damage to a bridge.

Tornado was unable to leave the North Yorkshire Moors Railway after a bin lorry hit a bridge at Castleton Moor on Monday.

The locomotive will now be moved by low-loader on Wednesday.

It is due to attend an event at the Severn Valley Railway in Shropshire on Friday.

Network Rail said all services on the line had been suspended, with a replacement bus service operating between Middlesbrough and Battersby.

So I am curious if the NYMR are currently running the services from Battersby to Whitby? And if not why not :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I am confused - there is nothing stopping the NYMR running from Grosmont to Pickering but they clearly can’t run to Battersby

Ploughman

Established Member
NYMR is currently shut down with no services running.
Services restart for the year on 24th March
I believe a training session is on going for operating to Battersby but no public services.

Malcmal

I am confused - there is nothing stopping the NYMR running from Grosmont to Pickering but they clearly can’t run to Battersby

I thought the NYMR were cleared to run to Battersby with the class 25 and a couple of steam locos. And of course they are running to Whitby as a matter of course these days.

gazthomas

Established Member
I thought the NYMR were cleared to run to Battersby with the class 25 and a couple of steam locos. And of course they are running to Whitby as a matter of course these days.
They are but Battersby is west of the bridge strike!

Malcmal

They are but Battersby is west of the bridge strike!

Ah right!! I think my confusion came from the fact that the bus replacement is between Middlesbrough and Battersby in that quoted article. So any passengers for the rest of the line can walk or is there an error in the original source?

Harpers Tate

Established Member
If the line is closed at Castleton Moor then it's feasible to run trains from Middlesborough to and from Battersby as that's the first token section after Nunthorpe. The next is at Glaisdale which is at the Whitby side of the closure.

bearhugger

There was a bus replacement service running to Whitby as the school kids would have needed to get to & from school in Whitby. I think for the first day when the incident of the bridge strike happenned that the article may have been correct.
As far as the NYMR is concerned:
1) They don't normally run that many passenger services to Battersby, just the odd Pullman service on a weekend?
2) I think they use the line to Battersby for testing the locos they have that can run on the national network to update relevant certificates.
3) I think it it would be easier, generally, to take visiting locos by rail to the NYMR due to the steepness of the local roads in the area. It must be quite a specific route by road from Pickering i would imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.