• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam engines powered by battery

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainlog

This is probably a title for another thread, but how has the progress been coming along for biocoal in the UK now? I know there was initial success at some lines with it, but I haven't seen many articles at the moment.

I know the NYMR is converting Dame Vera Lynn to oil firing, but a lot of thought has been put into that and at least it can keep the loco running with lower fire risks in hotter weather.

skyhigh

Established Member
Does this mean the boiler tubes will be replaced with electric elements? :D
Sounds like electric traction with 'special effects' to replicate the steam, rather than electrically heating the water as has previously been suggested on here.

Wandering Pom

The Facebook post linked in the RailAdvent article says only that the trains will "become electric" - there's no mention of batteries, nor any other specific power source.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Sounds like electric traction with 'special effects' to replicate the steam, rather than electrically heating the water as has previously been suggested on here.
Agreed. If they wanted to retain genuine steam traction they would be better simply to provide a boiler at the station with a connection to transfer the compressed steam into the locomotives. As it mentions they have a fireless loco they can probably do that already.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I imagine it is simply the removal of the steam engine innards to be replaced with a battery/electric motor ensemble. As with some electric cars, sound effects can be added to warn of approach (I might try to get hold of one for mine, based on a 'Black Five' perhaps!).

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I imagine it is simply the removal of the steam engine innards to be replaced with a battery/electric motor ensemble. As with some electric cars, sound effects can be added to warn of approach (I might try to get hold of one for mine, based on a 'Black Five' perhaps!).
You could probably use one of the sound chips sold for models, hook up an amp and some bigger speakers.

xotGD

Established Member
Burn coal.

Raise steam.

Steam turbine generator.

Traction motors.

Isn't that the idea?

MarkyT

Established Member
I've read elsewhere that all the battery traction kit including the motors will be housed in the tenders. The locos will be lightly modified to be pushed around by the power tenders. They may have boilers and pistons removed to reduce weight and resistance , although I'd have thought the cylinders might be useful to 'puff' a steam exhaust simulator. The cab will presumably receive some sort of new control desk for the new power source or maybe existing control handles and levers might be adapted for this. The approach seems to leave the main fabric of the locos fairly intact so in theory they could be converted back one day if desired.

Train Maniac

I'll be honest, when i first heard about this i thought it was going to be something along the lines of replacing the firebox with a battery fuel cell connected to the boiler and heat the water directly from there. This reality just sounds like a con to me...

Enthusiast

I've read elsewhere that all the battery traction kit including the motors will be housed in the tenders. The locos will be lightly modified to be pushed around by the power tenders. They may have boilers and pistons removed to reduce weight and resistance , although I'd have thought the cylinders might be useful to 'puff' a steam exhaust simulator. The cab will presumably receive some sort of new control desk for the new power source or maybe existing control handles and levers might be adapted for this. The approach seems to leave the main fabric of the locos fairly intact so in theory they could be converted back one day if desired.
Sorry, but unless this is a late April Fool's joke, I just don't see the point.

The clue is in the name - a steam locomotive. You need coal and water and you get heat, steam, smoke and a particular blend of noises. If you're simply going to fill a tender with batteries and traction motors (presumably with a thin layer of imitation coal on the top to ensure authenticity) you might as well throw the locomotive away, fit a cab to the front of the tender and use it to drag the coaches around.

It's rather like vegan "meat". If you don't want to eat slaughtered animals you can't have meat. Making crushed daffodil bulbs (or whatever - I've no idea what they use to produce the stuff) into something that looks like meat doesn't alter that. So it is with this. If you don't want to burn coal and boil water(or if doing so is outlawed) then you can't have a working steam locomotive.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Coal isn’t a pre-requisite of raising steam. I don’t think (m)any of us have coal-powered kettles…

…if you’re going to be pedantic, at least be factual.

Last edited:

Egg Centric

Suspect most or all of the participants in this thread already know this, but for the benefit of lurkers electric powered steam locomotives have actually been tried and worked in Switzerland back in the war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-steam_locomotive

SBB_Ee_3-3_8521.png

Image shows one in use

Enthusiast

Coal isn’t a pre-requisite of raising steam. I don’t think (m)any of us have coal-powered kettles…

…if you’re going to be pedantic, at least be factual.
No it isn't. But we're talking about steam locomotives and all of the mainstream preserved steam locomotives that people go to see in the UK use coal as fuel. That's nothing to do with pedantry; it's just a fact.

The idea of disembowelling a coal fired steam locomotive and providing electric traction in its tender is ridiculous. I have seen preserved industrial steam powered equipment converted to run from a modern electric powered boiler. Crossness sewage pumping station in South East London is an example. But the difference there is that little is lost by this. The boiler room and its operations are not the main attraction. Instead that comes from the majesty of the Victorian ironwork in the equipment hall and the huge beam engines and flywheels which can be seen at close quarters. Here's what I mean:

The beam engines (well, the one of the four that's been fully restored) still work on steam and this can be readily made out.

Much of the attraction of a steam locomotive comes from its footplate; the firebox, the stoker shovelling coal and all the associated knobs, pipes, gauges and dials that go with the production of steam. Added to that is the general aura that the steam creates: the safety valve occasionally blowing off, occasional gentle leaks from the cylinders and carriage connections, the violent release of steam via the drain cocks when pulling away from cold, the exhaust steam blasting from the chimney when the loco is under way and working hard. These are what people want to see when they visit a heritage railway or go to see a preserved loco on the main line.

If all this is lost it would be best to keep the locomotive intact, "stuffed and mounted" in a museum somewhere. They could run a film alongside to show visitors what they've missed. They'll gain more from that than watching a once proud but now eviscerated locomotive being pushed along by a tender full of batteries.

MarkyT

Established Member
No it isn't. But we're talking about steam locomotives and all of the mainstream preserved steam locomotives that people go to see in the UK use coal as fuel. That's nothing to do with pedantry; it's just a fact.

The idea of disembowelling a coal fired steam locomotive and providing electric traction in its tender is ridiculous. I have seen preserved industrial steam powered equipment converted to run from a modern electric powered boiler. Crossness sewage pumping station in South East London is an example. But the difference there is that little is lost by this. The boiler room and its operations are not the main attraction. Instead that comes from the majesty of the Victorian ironwork in the equipment hall and the huge beam engines and flywheels which can be seen at close quarters. Here's what I mean:

The beam engines (well, the one of the four that's been fully restored) still work on steam and this can be readily made out.

Much of the attraction of a steam locomotive comes from its footplate; the firebox, the stoker shovelling coal and all the associated knobs, pipes, gauges and dials that go with the production of steam. Added to that is the general aura that the steam creates: the safety valve occasionally blowing off, occasional gentle leaks from the cylinders and carriage connections, the violent release of steam via the drain cocks when pulling away from cold, the exhaust steam blasting from the chimney when the loco is under way and working hard. These are what people want to see when they visit a heritage railway or go to see a preserved loco on the main line.

If all this is lost it would be best to keep the locomotive intact, "stuffed and mounted" in a museum somewhere. They could run a film alongside to show visitors what they've missed. They'll gain more from that than watching a once proud but now eviscerated locomotive being pushed along by a tender full of batteries.
I don't particularly like it but it's a better solution than replacing them with those fake steam outline diesels once popular in theme parks. The locos are being retained largely intact, just being pushed around rather than powering the train, so people can still see them moving and they'll have to be maintained mechanically and cosmetically. The reduction in emissions will not only benefit the air quality but will avoid the cleaning of soot from the engine, rolling stock, and surroundings as well as eliminate the dirtiest and most time-consuming routine tasks in the depot. I think the particular solution is probably only suitable for small trains moving slowly along a short gently graded track. In a theme park setting, the railway represents just one attraction among a broad offering. They might have shut it down instead without these measures which will undoubtedly be cost-saving in operations and maintenance. The technique will preserve the locomotives largely intact albeit as 'dead' moving exhibits. I'll be interested to see what the special effects department comes up with for simulating the sight, sounds and smells of a loco in steam, particularly as they actively market it as an explicitly steam railway attraction currently. They'll have to be good. The modifications would likely be fully reversible if ever desired in the future or if the railway closes and the locos are sold. I like the NYMR WD 2-10-0 oil burner project. While that doesn't eliminate carbon output at point of use, it does offer much of the cleanliness benefit while being compatible with fuel that could be bio-sourced. I saw a recent Hyce YT video about a private 'Grand Gauge' 15 inch railway run by a Swiss billionaire on his California wine estate. That has a replica Swiss RhB metre gauge steam loco in ~40% scale. The amazing 2-8-0 is propane-fired with completely automated burner controls. Everything is so clean with no coal dust, soot, ash or clinker, but there's absolutely no doubt it's a real steam engine.

Trainlog

I like the NYMR WD 2-10-0 oil burner project. While that doesn't eliminate carbon output at point of use, it does offer much of the cleanliness benefit while being compatible with fuel that could be bio-sourced. I saw a recent Hyce YT video about a private 'Grand Gauge' 15 inch railway run by a Swiss billionaire on his California wine estate. That has a replica Swiss RhB metre gauge steam loco in ~40% scale. The amazing 2-8-0 is propane-fired with completely automated burner controls. Everything is so clean with no coal dust, soot, ash or clinker, but there's absolutely no doubt it's a real steam engine.
I reckon this will probably be the choice that most heritage railways and some mainline locos will go for if coal can no longer be sourced. Electric might take off one some smaller lines such as zoos or mansion estate railways, but even some of the most environmentally friendly heritage railways are happy with using biocoal going forward such as the Talyllyn railway.

With the oil burning projects, I hope that it's successful with Dame Vera Lynn as you say it preserves the live steam element, plus they are interested with running it with biofuels. My prediction is that standard gauge locos will be run on either biocoal, (tank engines and small tender locos), and larger locos or mainline-certified ones will be oil-fired.

I always wonder what the views on oil firing on UK standard gauge would be today if Didcot made one of their GWR tender locos oil fired in the 80s or 90s or Tornado ran as oil fired as originally intended.

MarkyT

Established Member
I reckon this will probably be the choice that most heritage railways and some mainline locos will go for if coal can no longer be sourced. Electric might take off one some smaller lines such as zoos or mansion estate railways, but even some of the most environmentally friendly heritage railways are happy with using biocoal going forward such as the Talyllyn railway.

With the oil burning projects, I hope that it's successful with Dame Vera Lynn as you say it preserves the live steam element, plus they are interested with running it with biofuels. My prediction is that standard gauge locos will be run on either biocoal, (tank engines and small tender locos), and larger locos or mainline-certified ones will be oil-fired.

I always wonder what the views on oil firing on UK standard gauge would be today if Didcot made one of their GWR tender locos oil fired in the 80s or 90s or Tornado ran as oil fired as originally intended.
There's a Swiss oil-fired conversion of a German BR.52 owned and operated by modern steam company DLM on the European mainland. As suggested for the NYMR, they use light domestic heating oil, which is very close in characteristics to diesel apparently and can be obtained cheaply at warmer times of the year (when heritage rail ops are at their peak and fire risk is greatest). Fossil diesel or bio equivalents can also be substituted. None of that heavy bunker fuel planned in the late 1940s before British interests in cheap Iranian crude were nationalised (by them). Bunker oil is so thick it needed steam heating to move around. After his apprenticeship at Doncaster, Dad's first job assigned to him in the loco drawing office was to design the fixed plant for depot fuelling, which required a steam boiler for oil heating and for powering a small stationary engine used for pumping. That scheme never got off the ground and was abandoned quickly as the railway started getting top quality coal again for expresses, which they had difficulty sourcing throughout the war years. Dad recalled it remained a problem with the new NCB for a period after that.

Enthusiast

I think the particular solution is probably only suitable for small trains moving slowly along a short gently graded track. In a theme park setting, the railway represents just one attraction among a broad offering. They might have shut it down instead without these measures which will undoubtedly be cost-saving in operations and maintenance.
I would go along with that. When I read your earlier post I thought you were thinking of full size locos. That said, I cannot see it going down too well somewhere like Romney Hythe & Dymchurch or Ravenglass & Eskdale. For one thing those lines are too long but more important than that, the locos on those lines are as much revered by their fans as Mallard and Flying Scotsman!

MarkyT

Established Member
I would go along with that. When I read your earlier post I thought you were thinking of full size locos. That said, I cannot see it going down too well somewhere like Romney Hythe & Dymchurch or Ravenglass & Eskdale. For one thing those lines are too long but more important than that, the locos on those lines are as much revered by their fans as Mallard and Flying Scotsman!
They're big powerful engines for their gauge and haul some lengthy trains, albeit on the flat in the case of the RH&DR. Maybe oil or gas firing conversions would be better for these, like many of their bigger cousins. An automated burner system would make these single-person operated little engines much easier to handle and the cleanliness would cut prep and disposal time significantly.

Trainlog

They're big powerful engines for their gauge and haul some lengthy trains, albeit on the flat in the case of the RH&DR. Maybe oil or gas firing conversions would be better for these, like many of their bigger cousins. An automated burner system would make these single-person operated little engines much easier to handle and the cleanliness would cut prep and disposal time significantly.
15inch gauge locos will be able to convert to biocoal rather easily. The trials that took place two years ago at the Bure valley railway proved successful with the biocoal trial so they should be okay.

The only groups/heritage railways that are really concerned about the end of coal are ones that own anything larger than a small tender loco or anything mainlined certified.

MarkyT

Established Member
15inch gauge locos will be able to convert to biocoal rather easily. The trials that took place two years ago at the Bure valley railway proved successful with the biocoal trial so they should be okay.
The only groups/heritage railways that are really concerned about the end of coal are ones that own anything larger than a small tender loco or anything mainlined certified.
It looks like there will be a range of solutions that owners and operators can choose for locos of all sizes. Some simply want a direct replacement for coal. Others may also want to clean up and streamline the operation more radically and eliminate fire risk with oil-firing or similar. The old push the exhibits round with a battery tug approach is probably rather niche, but might catch on for small commercial park and zoo railways.

John Luxton

Established Member
Suspect most or all of the participants in this thread already know this, but for the benefit of lurkers electric powered steam locomotives have actually been tried and worked in Switzerland back in the war: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric-steam_locomotive

SBB_Ee_3-3_8521.png

Image shows one in use
The Brown Boveri design reminds me of a cartoon which appeared in the Ffestiniog Railway Magazine in the early 1970s with a pantograph of the top of the cab of a Fairlie - it appeared again in the Spring 2024 Ffestiniog Railway Magazine.

MarkyT

Established Member

SBB_Ee_3-3_8521.png

Image shows one in use
Worth noting these could reach full pressure from a cold start under wire in about an hour and once 'charged up' could venture off along unelectrified trackage like a fireless loco. I don't know for how long or how far they could go before they needed to put the kettle on again. They still had a conventional firebox and grate and could be lit up if staff could find any suitable solid fuel.

AndrewE

Established Member
I don't think anybody has yet posted a couple of important things:

1) a steam engine is inherently inefficient - thermodynamics mean it physically can't be better than a certain amount, even if you try to improve it by using waste steam for feedwater heating etc, whereas an internal combustion engine is always(?) better. This was demonstrated at school 50 years ago in a course on thermodynamics... I remember the principle or the outcome, but wouldn't have a clue how to derive it now!
2) people have no idea how poor a battery's energy density is compared with fossil fuel...

So if you really wanted to run a "steam engine" on battery power you have to deal with a double whammy. A battery tender with electric motors is probably the only way it would work - and you would have to do a lot of work to make sure the lubrication worked on a "cold" steam loco.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
As with some electric cars, sound effects can be added to warn of approach (I might try to get hold of one for mine, based on a 'Black Five' perhaps!).
I rather fancy the idea of an EV amplifying the sound from an English Electric 16SVT (in class 40) or 16CSVT (in class 50). That'll get the attention of pedestrians and other road users. ;)

On a similar vein...
Back in the mid 1980s, I cycled to my favoured photography locations. I'd equipped my bike with an air horn, from a local motorists' centre. It was a blessing along country lanes.
I fondly recall giving a blast as I approached a narrow bridge over the Grand Union Canal - and, on the other side, finding a motorist frozen to the spot with worry of what the heck was about to crest that bridge. :D

I've read elsewhere that all the battery traction kit including the motors will be housed in the tenders
Is it me, or does this basically sound like a full size version of a Hornby tender-drive model of the 1990s....

Last edited: