• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steam Railtours advice request

Status
Not open for further replies.

fowler9

Established Member
Hi folks, wasn't sure where to put this. It is my dads 70th on the 16th January. Me and my siblings have decided for his birthday we are going to take him on a steam railtour. This doesn't of course have to be on 16th January, in fact I couldn't afford it, ha ha, but if anyone can advise on where is good to look for tours from Liverpool during the year it would be much appreciated. Yes I know I could Google but I trust the judgement of you guys and gals more not to mention your years of using them as opposed to a flashy advert.

My dad will of course get other presents but this is like his birthday treat, just like he used to give us when I was little. I had stuff like trips on a HST to Birmingham or a trip to the Ripple Lane Open Day.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Railway Touring Company (www.railwaytouring.net) are offering two tours from Liverpool on July22/July23rd. On the Saturday it is to Carlisle over the S&C with the steam loco coming on at Hellifield, and on the following day the trip is to Holyhead, steam from Lime St. The latter might be preferable if you want steam from, presumably, your dad's home city...but Holyhead as a destination for two and a half hours? Only if you haven't been there before...not my favourite place, as there is not a great deal to see, but, of course the North Wales Coast line can be good. Hills or coast, depends very much what is preferable to you and your Dad.
I've only had a quick look, in previous years there were more trips along the coast, and also Liverpool to Scarborough.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Hi folks, wasn't sure where to put this. It is my dads 70th on the 16th January. Me and my siblings have decided for his birthday we are going to take him on a steam railtour. This doesn't of course have to be on 16th January, in fact I couldn't afford it, ha ha, but if anyone can advise on where is good to look for tours from Liverpool during the year it would be much appreciated. Yes I know I could Google but I trust the judgement of you guys and gals more not to mention your years of using them as opposed to a flashy advert.

My dad will of course get other presents but this is like his birthday treat, just like he used to give us when I was little. I had stuff like trips on a HST to Birmingham or a trip to the Ripple Lane Open Day.

This is a perhaps a little belated for your dads birthday but how about 10th June, Railway Touring Company are operating a steam hauled tour to Scarborough departing Liverpool Lime St. at 06:35 returning at 22:00 fares from £99 standard class?

Ah, just seen above!

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
Railway Touring Company (www.railwaytouringcompany.net) are offering two tours from Liverpool on July22/July23rd. On the Saturday it is to Carlisle over the S&C with the steam loco coming on at Hellifield, and on the following day the trip is to Holyhead, steam from Lime St. The latter might be preferable if you want steam from, presumably, your dad's home city...but Holyhead as a destination for two and a half hours? Only if you haven't been there before...not my favourite place, as there is not a great deal to see, but, of course the North Wales Coast line can be good. Hills or coast, depends very much what is preferable to you and your Dad.
I've only had a quick look, in previous years there were more trips along the coast, and also Liverpool to Scarborough.

Many thanks mate, will have a look. Steam from Lime Street would be amazing but yeah, 2 1/2 hours in Holyhead would be hard work. Ha ha. Am sure me and one of my brothers would be happy in the pub but my dad is tea total and the other two aren't big messes like me. Ha ha.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The UK Steam Info web site - http://www.uksteam.info/index.htm - will give you details of all the steam specials planned for this year.

Look at "Steam Tours" and then "UK Mainline Steam Tour Programme 2017" and scroll down through the dates. Each tour will have a link to the organisers, so you'll be able to find out times and costs when they're available.

The first one from Liverpool looks like the 10th June trip referred to by Ash Bridge above.

TBirdFrank

On Moderation
It has to be said though - watch RTC like hawks for

different motive power

different routes

timings that bear no relation

different dates

Other promoters are much better for reliability.

fowler9

Established Member
Many thanks for all the advice folks. Don't mind what the date is really, have discussed it with my siblings and since my dads birthday is next Monday we accept the trip won't be on the day, ha ha.

alexl92

Established Member
Many thanks for all the advice folks. Don't mind what the date is really, have discussed it with my siblings and since my dads birthday is next Monday we accept the trip won't be on the day, ha ha.

I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but if you're flexible enough to be able to start and finish in places like Manchester, Crewe or Preston your options may be wider. However I'd fully understand if you preferred to stick to a Liverpool one as it's where you are.

fowler9

Established Member
I know it's not exactly what you asked for, but if you're flexible enough to be able to start and finish in places like Manchester, Crewe or Preston your options may be wider. However I'd fully understand if you preferred to stick to a Liverpool one as it's where you are.

Yeah that is a good point. Getting to Manchester, Preston or Crewe wouldn't require too much effort, especially Manchester and Crewe as we life a short hop from South Parkway.

eMeS

Railway Touring Company (www.railwaytouring.net) are offering two tours from Liverpool on July22/July23rd. ... on the following day the trip is to Holyhead, steam from Lime St. ...

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip some years ago from Lime Street. We missed out Holyhead, but explored Llandudno and even used the tramway to the Great Orme, with superb views. Excellent views of Conway Castle from the train on our return.

fowler9

Established Member
We thoroughly enjoyed our trip some years ago from Lime Street. We missed out Holyhead, but explored Llandudno and even used the tramway to the Great Orme, with superb views. Excellent views of Conway Castle from the train on our return.

Cheers eMeS. Me and the siblings will be having a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.