• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stena Line from Liverpool to Belfast

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

You certainly don't have to book a cabin, as seats can be booked in the Hygge Lounge or the Stena Plus lounge. On some overnight ferry routes, you have to book at least a basic reclining seat, but I think you may not even have to do that on this route. Cabins are cheaper than you might expect, though. I presume any port tax is included in the prices given on the website.

On my journey in 2022 I slept reasonably well in the Hygge Lounge on the way out, but even with single occupancy a cabin was at a price that I felt justifiable in one direction, so I booked one for the return journey.

bangor-toad

Hi,
This is a ferry I use often.

There is no additional port tax to pay as an extra to any ticket you buy as a foot passenger or with a car. (I believe it's a bit more complex if you're using something like a PRIV ticket?)
You don't have to book accommodation on this route. You can find a few seats and lie down on them. Quite a few people do this. Or you can pay a bit for the Hygge lounge as 181 says.

Personally I would only now travel on the overnight when I can book a cabin. I find I can get a decent sleep in a cabin and I can then function the next morning. You are normally asked to leave the cabins by 6am.
My recommendation to anyone using the overnight ferry is to never do it without a cabin or at least the Hygge lounge!

The ferries used on the route are the new(ish) Stena e-flexers, Edda and Embla. They really are very pleasant ships to travel on.
Have a good trip,
Mr Toad

harry2919

Hi. I forgot to add that I work for the railway and we pay only port tax on this service as well as on ferry service from Harwich to Hoea van Holland where booking cabin on night very is compulsory..

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Personally I would only now travel on the overnight when I can book a cabin. I find I can get a decent sleep in a cabin and I can then function the next morning.

If you're a youngish student with not much money, there's an advantage to not booking a bed and travelling overnight, whether it's a ferry or a slow overnight coach vs a hotel and fast train the next morning. Once you get a bit older you really have a choice of either arranging a bed or writing off the next morning. Obviously if you live in Belfast and you're travelling home on Friday night, you might not care about wasting Saturday as a rest day.

Statto

Established Member
The Liverpool - Belfast Stenna Line service is the one that gots to,from Twelve Quays Ferry Terminal in Birkenhead isn't it, their is a bus service (i think it's a complementary bus service but not sure) operated by Stagecoach for foot passengers that operates Twelve Quays - Hamilton Square Station

Flying Snail

Established Member
The Liverpool - Belfast Stenna Line service is the one that gots to,from Twelve Quays Ferry Terminal in Birkenhead isn't it, their is a bus service (i think it's a complementary bus service but not sure) operated by Stagecoach for foot passengers that operates Twelve Quays - Hamilton Square Station

AFAIK that no longer operates, Stena certainly say it doesn't. There are public bus routes on the main road outside the port.

Siebrand

I took the ferry from Belfast to Liverpool in Summer 2023. The bus first collected us on the ferry and brought us to the ferry terminal. We then walked through the terminal. On the other side of the terminal the same bus picked us up again and brought us to the Hamilton Square station, for free.