• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Steve Wright to leave Radio 2 Afternoon.

317 forever

Established Member
For anyone who thinks Radio 2 is skewing too young, it may be worth trying Boom Radio. It's on DAB as well across a lot of the UK.

Alternatively us lot in the community radio sector do things differently, and there are over 200 community stations across the UK, so there's likely to be one covering any largeish town.
I listen to Boom Radio quite a bit, but mainly Graham Dene, Nicky Horne and the top 5 at 11am with David Lloyd.

My only Radio 2 listening is Tony Blackburn and some Gary Davies or Pick of the Pops.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
I listen to Boom Radio quite a bit, but mainly Graham Dene, Nicky Horne and the top 5 at 11am with David Lloyd.

My only Radio 2 listening is Tony Blackburn and some Gary Davies or Pick of the Pops.
Does Boom have commercial breaks please?

Trackman

Established Member
Not listened to him since the R1 days.
Ah, remember when everyone listened to R1, then came along .. rest is history.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's amazing that Tony Blackburn - who played the first ever record on Radio One over 40 years ago ( Move - Flowers in the Rain ?) is still on Radio Two with Sounds of the Sixties.

Whatever happened to Arnold ?

dk1

Veteran Member
It's amazing that Tony Blackburn - who played the first ever record on Radio One over 40 years ago ( Move - Flowers in the Rain ?) is still on Radio Two with Sounds of the Sixties.
His 19:00 Friday show is excellent too. Such a calming voice.

Jamiescott1

Vernon kay has been excellent covering breakfast and plays some decent songs too. I usually listen to Sara whilst cooking.

kermit

The radio shows I have enjoyed most over the last 50 years have been those hosted by people who really loved, and knew about, music. Alan Freeman, Johnnie Walker, Janice Long, and even Tony Blackburn, whose enthusiasm for 60s soul was unimpeachable. Steve Wright never fell in to that category, but the principle has led me to Radio 6 Music - even though some of the music is a challenge to my ears, there is no doubting that Lauren Laverne, Mary Anne Hobbs, Steve Lamacq, Iggy Pop, Huey Morgan, Cerys Matthews and Radcliffe and Maconie, to name but a few, are absolute music obsessives, and their enthusiasm and knowledge about what they are playing shines through.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The radio shows I have enjoyed most over the last 50 years have been those hosted by people who really loved, and knew about, music. Alan Freeman, Johnnie Walker, Janice Long, and even Tony Blackburn, whose enthusiasm for 60s soul was unimpeachable. Steve Wright never fell in to that category, but the principle has led me to Radio 6 Music - even though some of the music is a challenge to my ears, there is no doubting that Lauren Laverne, Mary Anne Hobbs, Steve Lamacq, Iggy Pop, Huey Morgan, Cerys Matthews and Radcliffe and Maconie, to name but a few, are absolute music obsessives, and their enthusiasm and knowledge about what they are playing shines through.

The ideal radio station would be a combination of the best aspects of 6 music and radio 2. Both Huey Morgan and Radcliffe and Maconie had shows on Radio 2 which I always enjoyed before they were shifted off.

A similar thing has happenned with Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra, in that a lot of the best comedy has been hived off to the digital channel while radio 4's left with what they can't move over.

dgl

Established Member
Can't see why they would get Scott Mills in as he is terrible when he stands in for Ken Bruce, makes a complete hash of popmaster.

Sprinter107

I agree with that. Tony Blackburn I listen to, even now after all these years he still is enthusiastic about what he does. Johnnie Walker, another knowledgeable DJ, always try to catch his shows when i can. Janice Long was excellent, she really knew her stuff, a very knowledgeable DJ. Always tried to catch her show when I could. Yet people like these seem to be getting less and less. Radio 2 seems to keep replacing them with so called celebrities who probably don't have a clue what they're playing, and have no interest either.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Do they still do The Radio One Roadshow - smiley miley and all that ?

Younger members probably don't appreciate that before the fragmentation of broadcasting what huge stars Radio 1 DJ's were nationwide.

"It's the sound that's alive it's on 275 and 285" :E

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do they still do The Radio One Roadshow - smiley miley and all that ?

Younger members probably don't appreciate that before the fragmentation of broadcasting what huge stars Radio 1 DJ's were nationwide.

"It's the sound that's alive it's on 275 and 285" :E

I remember seeing Steve Wright at a couple of different roadshows down here back in the 1980s and you’re right they were huge stars back then because the pool of available entertainment was much smaller, although at the time the whole family would listen to Radio 1 because it appealed to kids and adults and there seemed to be something for everyone.

I’ll be honest though I can’t listen to him now. I still think he’s a decent sort but things have moved on and I’d far rather listen to Craig Charles on 6 because although they do have a playlist you still hear the odd thing that you hadn’t heard before.

duncanp

Established Member
Nowadays they spend their time drivelling on about smart speakers etc.

Yes, I don't listen to Radio 2 on my smart speaker (because I haven't got one) or the BBC Sounds App or on 88-91 FM.

I use either my internet radio or Freeview.

It is almost as if the BBC are trying to get everyone to listen online somehow, so that they can switch off Freeview or the FM signal.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It is almost as if the BBC are trying to get everyone to listen online somehow, so that they can switch off Freeview or the FM signal.
It is more that the government would like to switch off the FM signal. It keeps on getting delayed, most recently in 2020, to be pushed out to 2032.

Big radio switch-off is DELAYED again: AM and FM stations will be available on old devices for another decade as switchover from analogue to digital is put off until 2032
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-listen-FM-decade-digital-switchover-off.html

Jimini

Established Member
...or on 88-91 FM.

That's always mildly bugged me for decades, mainly becuase it's broadcast on 88.1 to 90.2FM, not 88 to 91FM </pedant> ;)

Radio 1 is 97.1 to 99.8FM if memory serves me correctly, but that's advertised as 97 to 99FM, which is arguably even worse!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's always mildly bugged me for decades, mainly becuase it's broadcast on 88.1 to 90.2FM, not 88 to 91FM </pedant> ;)
The 'eighty-eight to ninety-one fm' jingle really wouldn't work with the point figures. As others have written, the multiple different jingle idents on the Big Show are a big part of it for me.

Jimini

Established Member
The 'eighty-eight to ninety-one fm' jingle really wouldn't work with the point figures. As others have written, the multiple different jingle idents on the Big Show are a big part of it for me.

Oh I don’t know, I’d find it quite amusing to hear them try to crowbar the full frequency range into the jingle :lol:

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Not a big fan of Mills, he was OK 15-20 years ago on Radio 1, but not my cup of tea now. Fairly woeful when he fulls in for Ken on Popmaster.

adc82140

Established Member
Yes, I don't listen to Radio 2 on my smart speaker (because I haven't got one) or the BBC Sounds App or on 88-91 FM.

I use either my internet radio or Freeview.

FM is going nowhere. They are still struggling to get approval to switch off AM.

Jimini

Established Member
Always impressed by the text number for the station.

Reminds me of fond childhood memories when they wedge the frequency in to the phone numbers etc. 071 4848 958, anyone?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Reminds me of fond childhood memories when they wedge the frequency in to the phone numbers etc. 071 4848 958, anyone?

It makes me cringe when I see telephone numbers that aren't formatted properly! <D

My "local" station, MFR (I use the terms in inverted commas because there's not that much local content these days), used to have 01463 227711 as their phone number, 271 being their AM wavelength.

Jimini

Established Member
It makes me cringe when I see telephone numbers that aren't formatted properly! <D

My "local" station, MFR (I use the terms in inverted commas because there's not that much local content these days), used to have 01463 227711 as their phone number, 271 being their AM wavelength.

Heh, me too, but I make special dispensation for this specific one!

dgl

Established Member

Wave 105 is the same down here, their number is 01489 481052, 105.2 being their main frequency, so even down to the .2!, BBC Radio Solent is the same with the last 3 digits being 961, again their main/high power transmitting frequency.

Last edited: