• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockholm Alranda Border Control

Butts

Veteran Member
Has anyone been to Sweden recently, particularly this Airport.

I got the third degree on entry tonight....

Wanted to see my return ticket....

How much cash I had on me ...

What was the purpose of my visit and where was I staying ....

I have travelled all around Europe and beyond over the last few years and never been asked any of the above questions. even in far flung outposts like Albania.

Only ever entered Sweden by Sea in the past - was I just unlucky ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The Germanic and Nordic countries do seem to be hotter on passport control matters than other EU countries.

I was recently on a delayed flight departing Italy and the passport control officers happily waved passengers back "in" and "out" of the Schengen entry/exit checkpoints (without checking passports!) to allow them to use the lounge and airport facilities.

Although otherwise a nice enough airport, Arlanda will always carry the memory of the worst passport experience I've ever had. When we arrived, they had some sort of IT issue and instead of processing everyone manually, they just let Swedish passport holders & residents through.

Everyone else (including EU passport holders, in breach of the Schengen Border Code) was forced to wait in a cramped area without seating for 1.5 hours whilst they umm'd and ah'd about what to do. At one stage we were told it could be 6 hours. Bearing in mind it was around midnight when we arrived, this wasn't ideal (to put it mildly!).

I sent in a complaint to the Swedish Ombudsman (JO - an organisation with a somewhat better reputation than the Rail Ombudsman!) but since the police gave a belated "if"pology, they decided not to investigate further.

RailWonderer

Established Member
I went there last month, they just asked me the purpose of my visit, no further questions. Two passport control lines were open, one EU and one International. You were just unlucky.

Butts

Veteran Member
I went there last month, they just asked me the purpose of my visit, no further questions. Two passport control lines were open, one EU and one International. You were just unlucky.

Same set up when I arrived, surprised they have not got e-gates - perhaps at the other terminals- this was T2

Butts

Veteran Member
The cash question may have been to do with moneylaundering, as it's nigh on impossible to spend cash in Sweden

Yes, found that out at the Hotel - didn't have any SEK so just used contactless everywhere.

The Pearl Lounge at T2 was crap, you really do miss BA Lounges despite all the the moans about them. No Alcohol on show and meagre food offerings.

Flight was a BA one operated by Finnair on the return leg. Really boring near 3 hour odyssey.

Last edited:

RailWonderer

Established Member
Same set up when I arrived, surprised they have not got e-gates - perhaps at the other terminals- this was T2
Same I was at T2 (I always fly BA).
The Pearl Lounge at T2 was crap, you really do miss BA Lounges despite all the the moans about them. No Alcohol on show and meagre food offerings.
Arlanda is a small regional airport, amenities are scant. Anything less than an international hub and it's mostly that way. Heathrow T5 is world leading in paid and complementary offerings.
The cash question may have been to do with moneylaundering, as it's nigh on impossible to spend cash in Sweden
I still have two 500kr notes nobody would take.

Chrysalis

I'm Swedish so obviously had no issue like that when I was visiting Sweden this summer. However, my partner, who is British, had to answer similar sort of questions (who are you staying with, what is their relationship to you, how long for etc).

Regarding Arlanda being a small regional airport... it is in fact Sweden's main airport but yes, it has far less traffic compared to many airports here in the UK.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've never entered at Arlanda but exited a few months ago. The fella was most jovial - we actually had a bit of a joke and laugh about my plane being late.

The Nordic countries I'd say are middling with how 'hot' they are on these things - usually a couple of questions but nothing too pressing.

Riga still wins the award for bordering on aggressive for no apparent reason - even shouting over me to ask the questions I was literally in the process of answering...

Chrysalis

Riga still wins the award for bordering on aggressive for no apparent reason - even shouting over me to ask the questions I was literally in the process of answering...
Goodness, and I thought they were aggressive towards me at Brisbane airport! At least I wasn't shouted at.

Starmill

Veteran Member

I have travelled all around Europe and beyond over the last few years and never been asked any of the above questions. even in far flung outposts like Albania.

Albania isn't in the Schengen area, and with all due respect to the Albanians, they probably aren't that fussed about the risk of British tourists overstaying their welcome or breaking their laws while there.

Sweden by contrast is very fussed about those things, as are many Schengen countries. I'm surprised you've never had those questions though, they're not particularly uncommon from say French border guards?

It's also a commonly used introductory question to observe body language and try to detect obvious lies. But the main reason for asking it, and the most defensible one under the Schengen agreement, is to ensure that the traveller has sufficient funds to cover the costs of their stay and return journey. Bit pointless nowadays given most people won't be paying cash.

Butts

Veteran Member
Albania isn't in the Schengen area, and with all due respect to the Albanians, they probably aren't that fussed about the risk of British tourists overstaying their welcome or breaking their laws while there.

Sweden by contrast is very fussed about those things, as are many Schengen countries. I'm surprised you've never had those questions though, they're not particularly uncommon from say French border guards?

It's also a commonly used introductory question to observe body language and try to detect obvious lies. But the main reason for asking it, and the most defensible one under the Schengen agreement, is to ensure that the traveller has sufficient funds to cover the costs of their stay and return journey. Bit pointless nowadays given most people won't be paying cash.

I was really annoyed my Passport is bereft of the Albanian Eagle as they didn't stamp it :'(

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Hmm, I've never had this off PAF personally. Maybe this sort of thing will reduce or start to disappear with ETIAS?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I caught the ferry from Corfu (Greece) to Albania a few years ago and they didn’t even check my passport upon arrival at Albania.

I flew there into September and all I got asked was how long I was staying for. Have never been asked that question at any other Schengen area airport before.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I got properly quizzed by Passport Control at Arlanda last month.

- Why are you coming?
- How long are you staying? (Had to show return ticket)
- Where are you staying? (Had to show hotel reservation)
- What are you doing? (They even made me show my Stockholm to Gothenburg train ticket!)
- How much money have you brought?

Eventually I got in, took a good 5-10 minutes! The officer seemed to struggle to understand why I would want to visit their country as a solo-traveller and didn’t plan to meet anyone there.

I wonder if it was the same officer!

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Fairly common to be asked a few questions when entering Schengen in my experience. Happens maybe 30-50% of the time to me.

Butts

Veteran Member
I got properly quizzed by Passport Control at Arlanda last month.

- Why are you coming?
- How long are you staying? (Had to show return ticket)
- Where are you staying? (Had to show hotel reservation)
- What are you doing? (They even made me show my Stockholm to Gothenburg train ticket!)
- How much money have you brought?

Eventually I got in, took a good 5-10 minutes! The officer seemed to struggle to understand why I would want to visit their country as a solo-traveller and didn’t plan to meet anyone there.

I wonder if it was the same officer!

Was it a young woman ?

I bet you were popular with everyone in the queue behind you - like I was :oops:

Fairly common to be asked a few questions when entering Schengen in my experience. Happens maybe 30-50% of the time to me.

Norway in a couple of weeks so will see how Oslo compares.

zero

The Nordic countries are well-known to spend 5-10 minutes per non-EU/EEA traveller on entry. On exit they don't need to ask anything so that isn't a problem.

The questioning is not a huge deal, but I will avoid entering Schengen in Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland if it is convenient for me. Of course it doesn't compare to how non-citizens are treated by English-speaking countries.

The Romance-speaking countries don't care and not too long ago officers in France and Italy wouldn't even bother to open US / Canadian etc. passports - even when the holder was of a non-white ethnicity.

I was travelling to Spain with my family (before Brexit) - we are all the same ethnicity, and we went as a big group into the EU queue. The officer didn't bother checking the EU or Australian passports, but one of us had a passport which required a Schengen visa. He was "annoyed" that he had to actually look at this and "admonished" my relative to "hurry up and become British so you don't need a visa any more" :p

Butts

Veteran Member
The Nordic countries are well-known to spend 5-10 minutes per non-EU/EEA traveller on entry. On exit they don't need to ask anything so that isn't a problem.

The questioning is not a huge deal, but I will avoid entering Schengen in Denmark/Norway/Sweden/Finland if it is convenient for me. Of course it doesn't compare to how non-citizens are treated by English-speaking countries.

The Romance-speaking countries don't care and not too long ago officers in France and Italy wouldn't even bother to open US / Canadian etc. passports - even when the holder was of a non-white ethnicity.

I was travelling to Spain with my family (before Brexit) - we are all the same ethnicity, and we went as a big group into the EU queue. The officer didn't bother checking the EU or Australian passports, but one of us had a passport which required a Schengen visa. He was "annoyed" that he had to actually look at this and "admonished" my relative to "hurry up and become British so you don't need a visa any more" :p

No, in the UK they can use the E-Gates with no stamp required :E

We really should reciprocate and make them queue up and get a stamp.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
We really should reciprocate and make them queue up and get a stamp.

No we should never have left the EU. When the Brexiters talked about "Taking back control" they never mentioned the fact that it would be the EU that was doing so not us!

Butts

Veteran Member
That would cost UK taxpayers a lot more money.

Well The Europeans don't seem bothered about that ?

No we should never have left the EU. When the Brexiters talked about "Taking back control" they never mentioned the fact that it would be the EU that was doing so not us!

That's as maybe but we could take back control of our borders by making them have their Passports stamped.

Any that agree a quid quo pro of not stamping ours then fine.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
That's as maybe but we could take back control of our borders by making them have their Passports stamped.

Any that agree a quid quo pro of not stamping ours then fine.
I'm not sure we'll have to have our passports stamped for tourism visits in future (if you're eligible for ETIAS, that is).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, I was detained for 90 minutes until people started to rebel and they finally let us through at something like 0200. It has very much put me off visiting the place.

The border guards were downright nasty individuals, one of them was goading passengers, presumably trying to incite people into being arrested. I've never experienced anything like that anywhere else.

No issues departing from there, but if arriving, my advice is: avoid!

Reliablebeam

I've got good professional connections with Sweden and go there fairly often. The Arlanda border control are awful, not only the way in but on exit control as well where they seem to be as slow as humanely possible. They seem to deliberately cause problems and are actually worse than the United States - I'm not entirely sure what they think they're protecting their country from given you could enter a friendlier Schengen country and take an internal flight. It's also one of two countries I've seen Customs and Borders do racial profiling and behave in an overtly racist manner and I'm not alone amongst my work colleagues in that. Copenhagen by contrast I have never had any issues in*

I'm told by Swedish colleagues that they have their own loony-tunes politicians and 'foreigners' (and yes that includes EU citizens as well) are a convenient target for the countries ills. It is frustrating that they can just walk into this country using the E-gates. Great country once you are in!

I will balance this by saying I was very impressed with Gothenburg Landvetter border control recently.

*Top tip - the Eventyr lounge is a favourite of mine!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They seem to deliberately cause problems and are actually worse than the United States
I entered the States twice and my experience at Arlanda was far worse; the States were a breeze in comparison.
I'm told by Swedish colleagues that they have their own loony-tunes politicians and 'foreigners' (and yes that includes EU citizens as well) are a convenient target for the countries ills.
Yes they were refusing to allow foreigners unless they could prove Swedish residency, and the other exception was they did allow BA staff through.
I will balance this by saying I was very impressed with Gothenburg Landvetter border control recently.
Yep I had no issues entering Gothenburg. Although I am a bit put off going to Sweden, I won't be totally put off but will do my best to enter through Gothenburg next time. I was definitely going to visit Sweden this Summer to do the Narvik sleeper, but that's now a maybe as a result of my experience.

Reliablebeam

I entered the States twice and my experience at Arlanda was far worse; the States were a breeze in comparison.

Yes they were refusing to allow foreigners unless they could prove Swedish residency, and the other exception was they did allow BA staff through.

Yep I had no issues entering Gothenburg. Although I am a bit put off going to Sweden, I won't be totally put off but will do my best to enter through Gothenburg next time. I was definitely going to visit Sweden this Summer to do the Narvik sleeper, but that's now a maybe as a result of my experience.
Agreed I go to the US fairly often and they can be slow but not overtly obstructive - but the US has this reputation as a 'nasty' place whereas Sweden is supposed to be nice and smiley...

My best Sweden experience was being told by the woman on the exit booth that 'You have miserable and unhappy face' after being kept waiting for 45 minutes. They had been letting US citizens exit through the Schengen queue in this time...

I'm told this thing about prioritise people with Swedish ID cards is not really lawful but they do it anyway.

I was impressed with Landvetter - you could have eaten your dinner off the floor, it was that clean.

Denmark is friendlier, but I can't read Danish (can read Swedish)