• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stockholm Alranda Border Control

zero

I had no issues at Geneva few weeks back when staying just for one night.
I do wonder if they get suspicious if going to EU for a very short time.

Geneva's not in the EU, although you can exit into the EU from there, but my experiences with French Switzerland match that of France, and German Switzerland with Germany as per the previous post (which I am in complete agreement for all the countries mentioned).

Basel is somewhere in between depending on whether you get a primarily French or German speaking officer :)

France - EGates, then stamp no questions
Germany - Normally a mini interrogation
Switzerland - Also pretty awful. Second worse to Sweden I would say. Chap in front of me was British and they wanted proof of the conference he was going to etc.

Sweden shouldn't be prioritising Swedish ID cards over EU/EEA/CH passports.

The point of Schengen is to remove systematic internal border checks.

I recall the Jon Worth blog detailing his long fight against internal border checks (mainly around France) but I think ultimately led nowhere.

Sweden has been "controlling" their Danish land/sea border since 2015 and it inconveniences citizens and residents too. Plenty of racial profiling including of citizens, just like I got racially profiled on a Scotland-NI ferry.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Disagree with the above with Nordic countries. Passport control at Oslo's probably not oslo Torp were their usual friendly selves again last week, with the usual mix of terrible sarcasm. Despite being very quick they are quite on the ball to stop the small handful that probably shouldn't be entering Norway.

It's one of the best little airports ever, if you're happy with the location. Biggest complaint of most Brits & Irish is that it's miles from Oslo, but for those travelling down to Telemark, Kristiansand or Agder - it's excellently placed, especially with the little Vy station at the back opened some years ago.

northwichcat

Established Member
Only ever entered Sweden by Sea in the past - was I just unlucky ?

I went there last month, they just asked me the purpose of my visit, no further questions. Two passport control lines were open, one EU and one International. You were just unlucky.

Sometimes the number of questions depends how you respond to the first. Arriving in Switzerland someone was asked "Where are you staying?" She wasn't sure and got out her phone to check. Border control started asking to see proof and asked further questions. I was asked the same. Named the French town but pronounced it wrong. No further questions.

WestCoast

Established Member
Hi there,
Exact same with me.
Since Brexit, I do find a massive difference between the Nordics and the Med states.
Here is my summary of places I have been to post Brexit on a British Passport ( I travel to an EEA member at least once a month for both work and tourism):

Malta - No questions, just stamp
Portugal - EGates, then stamp no questions
Spain - EGates, then stamp no questions
France - EGates, then stamp no questions
Czechia - No questions, just stamp
Poland - Brief questions, then stamp
Hungary - Egates, then stamp no questions
Italy - EGates, then stamp no questions
Germany - Normally a mini interrogation
Netherlands - At first I got royally interrogated going over (return ticket checked, counted all my stamps and proof of money checked, but now they have calmed down a lot and I just get a few questions
Denmark - Normally a mini interrogation but usually very friendly
Norway - Like Denmark, an interrogation but friendly
Sweden - Awful, by far the worst. Everytime a royal interrogation done in a very stern manner. Do they do this to Americans too I wonder? Is it point scoring over Brexit or is just a policy to do this to every non-EEA citizen? I also got thoroughly interrogated on a Denmark-Sweden ferry (they saw I had a non EU passport on one of their 'random checks' so had a field day, so much for border free Schengen)
Cyprus - EGates, then stamp no questions
Finland - Brief questions, then stamp
Switzerland - Also pretty awful. Second worse to Sweden I would say. Chap in front of me was British and they wanted proof of the conference he was going to etc.
Romania - Brief questions, then stamp
Belgium - Brief questions, then stamp

The tough approach by the likes of Sweden is pointless. I can just fly to Paris, go through the E-Gate without issue then fly onwards to Sweden unchecked.

FWIW I have compiled a list of EU/EEA states that allow UK citizens to use E-Gates: Hungary, Cyprus, Spain (some airports), Italy, France, Belgium (newly added), Portugal and of course Ireland (CTA)

I can add in a few others from my experience;

Austria - No questions, very brief check on previous stamps, then stamp (opposite of Germany and German speaking Switzerland).
French-speaking Switzerland - No questions, brief look at previous stamps, then stamp
Croatia - No questions, some brief interest in previous stamps, then stamp
Greece - No questions, no interest at all in previous stamps, then stamp.
Latvia - Brief questions, check of previous stamps, then stamp. Guy next to me got more of interrogation.
Iceland - mini interrogation, went through stamps but gave up, then stamp, very polite.

My personal favourite;
Spain (Lanzarote) - Egates, no one around to stamp(!), egates open and booths unoccupied on exit. I believe they are always getting in trouble for this from the local papers. Other Spanish airports are stricter and will scan and stamp.

Last edited:

Established Member
Spain (Lanzarote) - Egates, no one around to stamp(!), also no check at all on exit. I believe they are always getting in trouble for this from the local papers. Other Spanish airports are stricter and will scan and stamp.
Excellent airport Lanzarote have indeed been in trouble for repeatedly letting British right through, with the CNP's argument that 'the infrastructure isn't there to cope with the numbers' although behind the scenes I hear this may (sadly) change soon.

Tenerife South's border staff are getting fed up of the 700m never ending queue. El Dia, the local newspaper regularly features the 2 hour taxi queue outside (must have a local Granadilla plate to work the airport, no other taxi allowed) - becoming a truly horrible airport despite the hundreds of millions spent by Aena.

david737

My personal favourite;
Spain (Lanzarote) - Egates, no one around to stamp(!), egates open and booths unoccupied on exit. I believe they are always getting in trouble for this from the local papers. Other Spanish airports are stricter and will scan and stamp.
Had the same when I went there a couple of weeks ago, E gates on exit no stamp and just a cursory glance at passport by gate staff on departure.

AdamWW

Established Member
Had the same when I went there a couple of weeks ago, E gates on exit no stamp and just a cursory glance at passport by gate staff on departure.

I'd be unhappy not to get an exit stamp. Presumably you have to keep evidence of the return journey with your passport in case someone counts stamps on the next entry to the EU and thinks you've overstayed.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd be unhappy not to get an exit stamp. Presumably you have to keep evidence of the return journey with your passport in case someone counts stamps on the next entry to the EU and thinks you've overstayed.
Yes - having been held up exiting the EU recently as they couldn't match up previous entries/exits I'd be making very sure I had matching entry/exit stamps!

northwichcat

Established Member

Some travel companies say if you're not given a stamp, you should go through a manned booth when you get back to a UK airport and ask them to stamp it. You could also retain copies of boarding cards (electronic or paper) but they are proof you've checked in, not proof you were on the flight.

Yes - having been held up exiting the EU recently as they couldn't match up previous entries/exits I'd be making very sure I had matching entry/exit stamps!

They can be a bit careless with stamping at some borders. In Portugal they don't seem to be bothered if the stamp has almost run out of ink, making the stamp barely visible.

I also had an interesting stamping situation in Spain. Entered through Barcelona in March 2023. They stamped a random page in the middle of the passport. On leaving I got an exit stamp in the next available place. On entering Malaga in Oct 2023 they put the entry stamp next to the exit stamp for Barcelona. On leaving Malaga he looked through the stamps, laughed and put the exit stamp next to the Barcelona entry stamp, making it look like I've been in Spain for months.

WestCoast

Established Member
I also had an interesting stamping situation in Spain. Entered through Barcelona in March 2023. They stamped a random page in the middle of the passport. On leaving I got an exit stamp in the next available place. On entering Malaga in Oct 2023 they put the entry stamp next to the exit stamp for Barcelona. On leaving Malaga he looked through the stamps, laughed and put the exit stamp next to the Barcelona entry stamp, making it look like I've been in Spain for months.

I actually had the same in Spain, stamp exiting Malaga plonked next to one entering Tenerife six months earlier. I get the impression they really do not care about the 90 day rule, actually seems more like fact as I read they have been lobbying the EU to remove the rule for British passport holders. It will of course be recorded in their system but not helpful when stricter places (Stockholm ahem) are looking at stamps! I have boarding passes on my phone for this reason.

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
I actually had the same in Spain, stamp exiting Malaga plonked next to one entering Tenerife six months earlier. I get the impression they really do not care about the 90 day rule, actually seems more like fact as I read they have been lobbying the EU to remove the rule for British passport holders. It will of course be recorded in their system but not helpful when stricter places (Stockholm ahem) are looking at stamps! I have boarding passes on my phone for this reason.

From my experience they don't take it too seriously in Italy either, just plonk a stamp anywhere !!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
On leaving Krakow airport for the UK last autumn, I offered the Polish official my passport open at the page with my entry stamp. He deliberately turned it to an unused page and plonked the stamp right in the middle.

I suspect he got a little bit of satisfaction from this!

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
On leaving Krakow airport for the UK last autumn, I offered the Polish official my passport open at the page with my entry stamp. He deliberately turned it to an unused page and plonked the stamp right in the middle.

Kraków and Warszawa-Chopin don't seem to be awfully bothered about where they stamp.

Meanwhile, I found Bydgoszcz and Gdańsk to be borderline obsessive.

The exile

Established Member
The exit stamp I got at Pisa in the summer was done on a separate page from the entry one (Bergamo) and so faint that all that is legible is the date. Caused a minor hiccup in Prague three months later - but when I pointed out the apology for an exit stamp and said “Italy” I got a smile and an entry stamp! Germany has been very perfunctory (Berlin & Karlsruhe) but there I’m able to kick the whole interaction off in colloquial German - which probably helps!

northwichcat

Established Member

To be fair they have to scan the passport and normally do that before issuing the stamp.

route101

Established Member
Before we left the EU the Southern EU countries like Greece would barely look a your passport. I remember entering Greece from Albania and they never even looked at my passport.

northwichcat

Established Member
Before we left the EU the Southern EU countries like Greece would barely look a your passport. I remember entering Greece from Albania and they never even looked at my passport.

EU did add in and implement a scanning requirement for entering or leaving the Schengen area before the Brexit vote. In something like 2012 a glance to check the passport matched was all they required, then it had to be placed in the machine to be recorded as an entry/exit. It's just taken 10 years for the EU countries to get one central database set up.

Butts

Veteran Member

I was disappointed not getting a whiff of The Albanian Eagle as my passport wasn't stamped on entry or exit.

route101

Established Member
I was disappointed not getting a whiff of The Albanian Eagle as my passport wasn't stamped on entry or exit.
I got a stamp leaving Albania from Sarande. The stamp is basically the same as all the other stamp without the EU stars.

Zerothebrake!

Going back to the Stockholm Arlanda experience..I arrived into T2 at 16.55 this evening to find two booths open with the non EU line moving a little quicker. The pleasant lady asked how long I was staying and my destination was and I was through and fell straight onto the 17.20 local train to Uppsala.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Arlanda - no issue.

Copenhagen - I was told off for approaching a booth without the friend I was travelling with. We then only got a question about the purpose of our visit, "holiday", whereas we'd overheard other passenger being asked for itinerary details, hotel bookings and return travel documents.

With the exception of the USA, I've never been asked any questions other than at the Danish air border. Which is quite amusing having previously travelled by sleeper train from Berlin to Stockholm without any border checks whatsoever.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was told off for approaching a booth without the friend I was travelling with. We then only got a question about the purpose of our visit, "holiday", whereas we'd overheard other passenger being asked for itinerary details, hotel bookings and return travel documents.
I wish countries would make up their mind, or at least put up clear signage, how they want people to approach this. If there’s no queue then we will often split up and go through two separate booths to save time, but some places want you together and some want you separately. What’s most annoying is places that want you to go up separate but then insist on wanting to see documentation which means the other person then gets called across to present that.

route101

Established Member
Berlin Brandenburg - No questions but it was very busy. There was E gates, can UK passport holders use them? No one in customs either.

Amsterdam - Are you heading back to UK was only question?

Butts

Veteran Member
Just arrived in Venice Marco Polo - used e-gates then a stamp in your Passport afterwards - no queue and no pack drill !!

route101

Established Member
Not abroad but at Luton yesterday there was UK Border staff manning the desks after security asking passengers questions, overhead questions about money. First time I've seen outbound checks in an airport. I suppose no surprise when you have all these Wizzair flights to the likes of Tirana.

Reliablebeam

Not abroad but at Luton yesterday there was UK Border staff manning the desks after security asking passengers questions, overhead questions about money. First time I've seen outbound checks in an airport. I suppose no surprise when you have all these Wizzair flights to the likes of Tirana.
I've seen this a couple of times down the years. Only had it once at Heathrow, had it more at regional airports - nothing better to do maybe? I don't know what the point is really but as you say probably trying to catch money launderers (charitable hat on) - pointless make-work pretend we're doing something useful, tick some box (cynical hat on)

Recently passed through Arlanda. Moderately hostile reception - complaints from Swedish colleagues that whole border movement through that airport is working badly no matter what citizenship you possess. I will say in fairness the guy at my counter tried to offer train advice to final destination (not needed). On the exit control, the woman serving me got obviously irritated by the number of stamps and was adding days on her fingers.

I was very impressed with Spain recently - total contrast.

Wolfie

Established Member
Years ago l had something similar at City airport. I was going to Madrid on HMG business. When asked for specifics l had no choice but to decline to answer... I was working for MOD at the time....

Cloud Strife

Established Member

That used to be quite common during The Troubles, with Special Branch sometimes pulling single male travellers aside on departure and arrival. A friend used to be involved in a car importation racket in Ireland, involving buying premium cars in London and sneaking them into the Republic through the NI border. As a result. he flew a lot from Dublin-London with nothing more than a large wedge of cash in his pocket. He'd get pulled several times a month, simply because he fit the profile of a typical terrorist.

The amusing part of the story was that he was always very honest with them about what he was doing and why. It wasn't illegal from the UK point of view, and because he always had everything he needed to buy the car, as well as being able to describe almost anything about the second hand car market, he was never given any bother. Eventually Special Branch gave him a letter confirming that he was known to them, because they had wasted so much time checking him out.

EU did add in and implement a scanning requirement for entering or leaving the Schengen area before the Brexit vote. In something like 2012 a glance to check the passport matched was all they required, then it had to be placed in the machine to be recorded as an entry/exit. It's just taken 10 years for the EU countries to get one central database set up.

That requirement exists, but in practice, it still isn't universal. There are still a lot of questions about how it's going to work at very busy crossings where it's just not possible to scan everyone, such as at La Linea/Gibraltar where scanning every document on entry/exit will cause tremendous problems.