• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stop Request Bells On Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all,

I was travelling from Glasgow to Corstorphine on the Scottish Citylink route 900 earlier today and, much to my surprise, the service I was on was operated by a Parks of Hamilton liveried Jonckheere, rather than the usual Citylink liveried double-decker coach.

The custom is to ring the bell (denoted by a red "STOP" button - much like a regular bus - on the ceiling of the usual coaches) for Corstorphine (among other stops) as the coach near enough turns into a local stopping bus service as soon as it enters Edinburgh.

The Jonckheere I was on today, however, didn't have a stop button - or at least not a clear one anyway. There were two buttons on the ceiling labelled "S" and "H" - very helpful!

Assuming "S" was the bell, I pressed it and it didn't sound - and neither did "H" upon trying. I assumed perhaps it was silent and a warning appeared on the driver's dashboard, but we went flying past my stop - at which point, I walked to the front to speak to the driver.

Has anybody else had one of these coaches on the 900, and if so, did the bell (if even a bell) work?

Or even better, is anybody able to tell me what the "S" and "H" actually mean on these coaches, because today's experience has gotten me thinking that neither of them were actually bells(!)

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm purely guessing here, but would one be for "Stop" and another for "Host/ess"?

Status
Not open for further replies.