• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Friday 20/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Nothing left Norwich towards Ely since 14:27. Next possible service is 21:12. All East Midlands trains are cancelled. Yarmouth/Lowestoft now has a landslip with nothing since lunchtime.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Flooding at Oakham.

16:00 CBG-BHM is currently on the move westbound 31 minutes late passing Manea.

This will have potentially severe implications tomorrow if not resolved, as EMR IC services are being diverted that way this weekend.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It may be that the water from the hills arrives and takes it out later, particularly if at high tide, but there hasn't thus far (I know I am jinxing it) been a flooding damage incident since all those boulders were dumped by the flood prone part of the line a few years back. A more likely risk might be a landslip further down as the cutting is steep in places.
One thing about the current storm is that the worst weather is coming from the east, and it's the coast and Clwyd hills, along with the southern Pennines, taking the battering at the moment.
For once, Eryri might be having a quieter time of it, but it's not over yet.

DaveB10780

johnnychips

Established Member
Just before Mexborough station from Doncaster there appeared to be a huge lake, but then to my surprise the train crossed the Don, at a higher level than normal but not overflowing, then the canal. Presumably the overflow floodplain scheme is doing its job, though I don’t know how much longer it can hold out.

At Sheffield, manual announcements said that the advice was not to travel at all.

Strathclyder

Established Member
There has, thankfully, been no rain today in the West of Scotland, however it has been and still is, very windy. National Rail Enquiries saying no Neilston trains for the rest of the day;

Well, there has been quite a bit of rain in this part of the country today (I got soaked taking my dog out eariler!), but it's not anywhere near as bad as it was on October 7th in terms of the sheer amount of rain. The wind has been incessant all day though as you say, not surprised at the raft of delays/cancellations across multiple lines.

Rhinojerry

Weather was OK in Preston, a few delays but nothing serious and no flooded roads near home. Nothing too terrible encountered heading towards Manchester down the Atherton line now (advances via Wigan to Mcr)
I haven't heard anything bad about the M6 either.

If anyone knows what's going on with the inspection of the Buxton line, the information would be welcome too.
Northern journey check says no services between Hazel Grove and Buxton rest of the day.Flooding.

Bartsimho

Fair enough but if it could have found a loop and stayed there for a rest quite a few passenger trains could have passed by which seems to me to be the fairest plan. Of course that might not have been an option, I don't know all the loops available but it seems to have ploughed on. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:H31646/2023-10-20/detailed
No loops between Milnthorpe where it was 6 mins late and Oxenholme South Junction where there was no report. Nothing south until Carnforth North Junction where it was 4 minutes late and could have developed it by then looking at the fact that 3 minutes were lost between Hest Bank and there which isn't far but that could have been a signal as well

AndrewE

Established Member
No loops between Milnthorpe where it was 6 mins late and Oxenholme South Junction where there was no report. Nothing south until Carnforth North Junction where it was 4 minutes late and could have developed it by then looking at the fact that 3 minutes were lost between Hest Bank and there which isn't far but that could have been a signal as well
but it was obviously sick (going northbound) at Oxenholme where there is a loop, at Penrith station, over Shap and through Carlisle, also passing Quintinshill. Was it too long for all these loops?
I very much hope that the operator gets absolutely caned for ploughing on regardless.

L401CJF

Established Member
TFW update (North) picked from internal emails so can't quote.

Still no rail service between Chester/Crewe, Chester/Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury/Birmingham, Shrewsbury/Aberystwyth. Limited road transport in operation.

Marches line did reopen and Manchester-Cardiff services resumed, however there is now reports of a tree down between Ludlow and Craven Arms so more cancellations/alterations.

Services starting to be cancelled in advance for tomorrow morning on various routes - a mix of displaced units and also anticipated weather will be the cause.

As of now, Chester-Holyhead/Llandudno, Chester to Manchester Airport and Chester to Liverpool (TFW) all running relatively OK.

Edit to add - Bidston-Wrexham line Still closed due to flooding, services cancelled tomorrow morning.

0530 Llandudno Jn to Blaenau Ffestiniog cancelled tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Thank you, I understand they've stuck RRBs up this evening. I just hope it's running tomorrow evening.
That one has a rider attached that it may be closed for several days, along with the freight route from Chinley to Peak Forest due to severe flooding.

Furrball

LNER are running again. 1S26 1700 King's Cross-Edinburgh left 15 late and has passed Welwyn. Meanwhile, 1E07 0830 Edinburgh King's Cross is still going and has just passed Hitchin a mere 308 minutes late.

Looks like hourly to Edinburgh till at least 1900 and a 1903 to Leeds is also showing.
The 1700 Edinburgh is showing as a 14 car - is this correct?

AlastairFraser

Established Member
That one has a rider attached that it may be closed for several days, along with the freight route from Chinley to Peak Forest due to severe flooding.
Ah thanks for telling us. Guess that's me on RRBs the whole weekend!
Does delay repay apply or not due to severe weather?

driver9000

Established Member
but it was obviously sick (going northbound) at Oxenholme where there is a loop, at Penrith station, over Shap and through Carlisle, also passing Quintinshill. Was it too long for all these loops?
I very much hope that the operator gets absolutely caned for ploughing on regardless.

Yes 4S43 is too long for those loops except Penrith but by the time it reached there and with the nearest passenger train still quite a distance behind it the decision was made to make run for it to get to Kingmoor where the locos could be swapped. It's now stuck south of Lockerbie due to the trees falling onto the line. It's initial failure was due to an ADD activation just south of Oxenholme.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport

driver9000

Established Member

There's a 20mph ESR at Carnforth which would explain the loss of 3 minutes. The train failed just south of Oxenholme station.

York station was absolute chaos around 1630. Not seen it that bad in ages. First train south (5.802 TPE 1P32) to Leeds left people behind.

Leeds not faring much better, but I was lucky that there were 2 Calder Valley services on P9/11 respectively so didn’t see the concourse which I can only imagine was worse. Both Calder Valley services (1D71 Chester cancelled short to Manchester Vic & 2K25 Halifax) left full and standing

Darandio

Established Member

InOban

Established Member
The forecast for Scotland was nailed on several days ago, but at that time the various computer models were disagreeing about the intensity and location of today's rain, hence the much shorter notice. The forecasters did warn that the unusual wind direction was likely to bring down trees etc which were more used to Westerly gales, as well as focusing the rain on East -facing slopes. I think the Met Office did an excellent job.

CHAPS2034

Ah thanks for telling us. Guess that's me on RRBs the whole weekend!
Does delay repay apply or not due to severe weather?
If RRB's are not running there is the 199 bus service from Stockport to Buxton. Leaves Stop BB in Mersey Square at 1805, 1830, 1900, 1930 and then hourly until 2330 on Saturdays. Journey time about 90 minutes assuming the roads are not flooded too.

The 199 also passes through Hazel Grove. Northern tickets are not valid on this service however, at least at the moment

Last edited:

AlastairFraser

Established Member
If RRB's are not running there is the 199 bus service from Stockport to Buxton. Leaves Stop BB in Mersey Square at 1805, 1830, 1900, 1930 and then hourly until 2330 on Saturdays. Journey time about 90 minutes assuming the roads are not flooded too.

That's what I'm currently on lol! RRBs are running from HG and Buxton, just very infrequently. So I jumped off at Hazel Grove and onto the bus.
For those forum members living in the High Peak, it's currently not too bad in Whaley Bridge - a bit wet as expected, but it's still raining heavily so I'm not sure the road will stay open later. A bit of standing water on the road on the A6 New Mills, Furness Vale and Disley too.

Jozhua

Established Member
Train nerds - I'm stranded in st pancras and need to get home to Notts. I can potentially employ a friend to pick me up - what's my best option?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is for today's rail disruption and will be locked tomorrow morning; anyone requiring travel advice tomorrow can create a new thread (if there isn't a suitable one already).

If anyone has any comments, observations , experiences related to the current weather conditions generally, please use the following thread:

BJames

Established Member
Train nerds - I'm stranded in st pancras and need to get home to Notts. I can potentially employ a friend to pick me up - what's my best option?
Pick up from where?

I can see the inbound working for the 2005 is just passing St Albans on its way to St Pancras, although I imagine the concourse might be very chaotic...

Edit: Seems the inbound working for the 2034, if you're unable to get the 2005, is expected into St Pancras at 2031 according to RTT.

Wivenswold

Established Member
The forecast for Scotland was nailed on several days ago, but at that time the various computer models were disagreeing about the intensity and location of today's rain, hence the much shorter notice. The forecasters did warn that the unusual wind direction was likely to bring down trees etc which were more used to Westerly gales, as well as focusing the rain on East -facing slopes. I think the Met Office did an excellent job.
You are spot on. The harder bit was working out where the centre of the system would be, hence the uncertainty over the Southern edge of the band of rain but the Met Office did say there was less certainty down south.
It'll slowly turn into a more El Nino-type winter in January/February so colder and drier.

LowLevel

Established Member
Nottingham trains from London are one of the few lines of route that are working, there will be a train eventually albeit perhaps very busy. Every train I saw was full from front to back this afternoon and leaving people behind.

Snow1964

Established Member
Flood line England now 273 alerts and 242 warnings
Can't remember it being over 500 locations before

SEPA (Scotland) has 5 severe, 17 warnings, 12 alerts

South, South West, South East of UK seems to have generally escaped although some rivers running high

Status
Not open for further replies.