• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Babet disruption - Saturday 21/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabrielhj07

Flooding still causing trouble on the MML. Northbound Notts trains this morning seemed ok, but believe 1B34 was the first to leave Nottingham southbound.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sleepy

Established Member
Norwich to Gt. Yarmouth and Lowestoft are now re-opening but Norwich to Ipswich still blocked.

UPDATE : Set from 1P56 last night which was screwed down at Stowmarket will soon be moved towards Norwich. Up line remains closed.

Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Probably not, as it's on the freight-only line.
The 12.22 from Peak Forest to Selby ( 6E51 ) was activated at 10.22 so it'll be worth watching to see if that runs... if it does, the tunnel must be open. The exact two hours gap between activation and departure time, though, does suggest an automatic activation may be in play?

Established Member
Much better than I expected. I see Hull Trains are suffering severe overcrowding.
Also, BBC reporting Kings Cross currently closed to passengers, as the concourse area is full and over crowded.

Established Member
One of those days. Not sure what people were expecting today.
Thing is like where I am in ecml, blue skies and sunshine.
People never believe the news even when the pictures are crystal clear what is happening out on the network!

People yesterday, complaining about delays, then admit had seen news and heard the do not travel but still decide to board a train.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
People yesterday, complaining about delays, then admit had seen news and heard the do not travel but still decide to board a train.

It's not that easy to not travel for some people. If you've travelled somewhere for work then you have to get back home, with the only alternative being staying in a hotel for the night and travelling back the next day instead. Businesses won't pay for extra hotel nights unless it's unavoidable i.e. no trains at all (via any route) and train operators not having any liability for putting stranded passengers in hotels.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Cambrian currently closed to Shrewsbury, and it seems the line east of there to Brum is also still closed.
Hoping it will be sorted out tomorrow as we are off to London midday. Otherwise it means we will have to drive down.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
East Midlands Trains winning few friends by not bothering to run anything between Sheffield and Liverpool today despite the line being clear and both TPE and Northern running normally through the Hope Valley.

dk1

Veteran Member
East Midlands Trains winning few friends by not bothering to run anything between Sheffield and Liverpool today despite the line being clear and both TPE and Northern running normally through the Hope Valley.

Not necessarily not bothering. Northern are cancelling Nottingham trains too and XC from Sheffield is a sea of red. It’s just one of those days.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
East Midlands Trains winning few friends by not being able to run anything between Sheffield and Liverpool today despite the line being clear and both TPE and Northern running normally through the Hope Valley.
How many units do they have north of the blockage? Where are the staff based?

The phrase 'not bothering' is totally inappropriate.

D6130

Established Member
I suspect that a lot of their units may be trapped East of Nottingham.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
How many units do they have north of the blockage? Where are the staff based?

The average passenger won't know where staff are based and even if they do, they won't know that it requires more than operators to just work together i.e. a spare Northern driver might not have the route or traction knowledge.

It's perhaps fortunate that the football schedule has a Merseyside derby today.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The average passenger won't know where staff are based and even if they do, they won't know that it requires more than operators to just work together i.e. a spare Northern driver might not have the route or traction knowledge.
Yes, that is fair, perhaps it is for East Midlands Railway to explain that.

Nottingham.
Quite. Explains why the phrasing of the original poster was inappropriate.

ChrisC

Established Member
East Midlands Trains winning few friends by not bothering to run anything between Sheffield and Liverpool today despite the line being clear and both TPE and Northern running normally through the Hope Valley
All routes north from Nottingham to Sheffield are blocked by floods and EMR cannot get their units through. The Erewash line is flooded between Nottingham and Alfreton, the line is flooded north of Derby and the line via Worksop is flooded north of Mansfield and between Worksop and Sheffield. The rain here in Nottinghamshire was torrential for more than 24 hours and flooding very widespread.

Aaron1

I notice the last train of the night from Doncaster to Grimsby 10:38pm today and tomorrow is cancelled due to flooding between Doncaster and sheffield, I will potentially be relying on this train on Monday! Anybody who's local know what the chances are of that 10:38pm to be running on Monday?

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I suspect that a lot of their units may be trapped East of Nottingham.
That may be the case but TPE have been able to operate between Sheffield and Liverpool despite the line being blocked between Doncaster and Sheffield so EMR's feeble excuses won't wash. There were several EMR 158s in Sheffield station when I was there around 1100 so not all of them are trapped East of Nottingham.

43095john

Leeds - Doncaster still blocked by flooding at Adwick & South Elmsall. LNER running 1 x Leeds - London a hour with Bi-modes Diverting via Micklefield & Hambleton Curve

Doncaster - Sheffield still closed with flooding at Mexborough and at Rotherham Central

Harrogate line still closed between Horsforth & Harrogate with flooding. Northern running Leeds - Horsforth and Harrogate - York shuttles

No EMR Sheffield - St Pancras services all day due to the flooding between Derby & Chesterfield.

XC Anglo scots running Leeds - Edinburgh only

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
There were several EMR 158s in Sheffield station when I was there around 1100 so not all of them are trapped East of Nottingham.
But their crews are! EMR don't have any traincrew depots West/North of Nottingham/Derby. Nottingham crews work through to Manchester and Liverpool, as I'm sure @LowLevel will confirm. In the current circumstances I would think it would be extremely difficult - or impossible - to taxi crews from Nottingham to Sheffield. Northern have traincrew depots at Manchester, Sheffield and Doncaster and TPE have depots at Manchester and Cleethorpes, so they are able to continue running via the Hope Valley.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Flooding at Mexborough (Ferryboat). Not quite over the tracks in this location but maybe a bit nearer to Conisbrough. The Don is fast flowing...

Attachments

• 20231021_140640.jpg
    20231021_140640.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 160

Peterthegreat

Established Member
That may be the case but TPE have been able to operate between Sheffield and Liverpool despite the line being blocked between Doncaster and Sheffield so EMR's feeble excuses won't wash. There were several EMR 158s in Sheffield station when I was there around 1100 so not all of them are trapped East of Nottingham.
There has been an EMR 8 car 158 blocking platform 8 at Sheffield for the last 24 hours or so.

geoffk

Established Member
The average passenger won't know ..... that it requires more than operators to just work together i.e. a spare Northern driver might not have the route or traction knowledge.
Indeed, and this is part of the fragmentation brought on by privatisation. Introduced by the Government which now says the railways cost too much to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.