• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Doris Thursday 23rd - Major disruption on some routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
I made it to Liverpool Lime Street after much confusion at Southport, to find the Northern 1316 to MIA showing Cancelled on all the boards. However nothing on RTT or NRE to confirm that. I jumped on a TPE that is stopping at Victoria and will have to make my way to Picc from there, but does anyone know whether the 1316 LIV-MIA was cancelled or not? I may have some explaining to do at the gate line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nean

They seem to be heading in at MAN again now , looking at the 'METARS', it would appear the crosswind component would have been off limits for the last couple of hours for many operators.

Yeah, windyTV (really quite a nice site... https://www.windytv.com/) is showing the wind's now died off and has aligned itself slightly more with the runways.

Back on topic... CLC is fun at the moment, signalling problems between HNX and LSP as well as WAC closed to inspect weather damage on top of the LIV disruption!

D1009

Established Member
I jumped on a TPE that is stopping at Victoria and will have to make my way to Picc from there, but does anyone know whether the 1316 LIV-MIA was cancelled or not? I may have some explaining to do at the gate line.
Hasn't moved yet according to RTT. Why would you need to explain anything at the gateline?

gavin

@Virgin_TrainsEC

#VTECUpdate Due to #StormDoris please avoid travel today. Tickets can be used for any service tomorrow.

tsr

Established Member
Kings Cross-Peterborough pretty much suspended now. GN services badly affected by power outage at Holloway and the stranded trains around Meldreth, and the roof on the track at Sandy is still causing problems for everyone, too.

Harpenden isn't looking great because another tree seems to have come down, this time possibly not in contact with the overheads.

VTWC out of Euston slowly resuming with severe delays - special stops added, restrictions all lifted and tickets for today may be used up to & including Saturday (as it stands - please check with them first though!).

Tadworth has reopened.

Trains via Oxted running to all routes with sporadic delays. Some services, miraculously, are now actually getting back on time!

NEW:

Slow Lines open at St Albans on the MML, and Welham Green plastic bag is clear of the OHLE.

Hertford East branch closed due to a tree on fire (OHLE contact) at Ware.

Downham Market (single line) OHLE suspected to be down.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Should just pack it up and come back in the evening when it's calmed down before someone is injured.

All sorts of farces reported, from skylights blown out closing platforms at Leicester, the platform roof being damaged at Warrington Central to probably hundreds of trees down to roofs and other structures landing on the railway.

All north to south mainlines closed or nearly closed, fires due to obstructions on the overhead and so on.

You wouldn't get me in today for anything.

Nobody's need to get anywhere is worth the degree of risk that is apparently occurring, start again after 1800.

tsr

Established Member
ECML at Sandy reopened at slow speeds.

Trees also reported down at Lenham & Charlton on the Kentish network...

Caterham Branch (ha!) very slow moving if not halted - unsure why - suspect debris/tree...

tsr

Established Member
Debris on OHLE at Bedford, may be moved fairly quickly but movements stopped in the mean time.

Meanwhile, the latest from Southeastern:
You may be delayed by up to 10 minutes on routes in our metro area, and by up to 30 minutes on longer distance mainline routes.

- High Speed services between Ashford and Ramsgate via Dover Priory will be diverted via Canterbury West between 10:00 and 18:00
- An additional shuttle service between Dover Priory and Ramsgate will run between these times.
- Charing Cross to Tunbridge Wells services will only run between Charing Cross and Tonbridge and will be formed of 8 coaches between 11:00 and 18:00. High Brooms & Tunbridge Wells will continue to be served by Hastings services.

Trees have fallen at West Wickham, Petts Wood, New Eltham, Charlton, Robertsbridge, Maidstone East, Broadstairs, Lewisham, Chatham & Minster. Response staff are being sent to the locations of fallen trees as quickly as possible, but lines will be blocked whilst trees are removed.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Lots of objects falling on the line in the Manchester area now with several lines struggling to keep going. Hoping TPE can get me home in about 2 hours!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
The aformentioned roof dammage and platforn closures at Preston taking its tol now, 10:51 EDB PRE now being held at Lancaster with the 12:40x Glasgow, which appears to have departed on time and is my booked train hot on our heals when we get moving.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Slightly off topic but there are some t***s round here who have insisted in putting their rubbish bags out - we now have rubbish blowing everywhere. grrr.

gavin

@Virgin_TrainsEC

#VTECUpdate There are currently no services departing King's Cross. We advise customers not to travel today if possible #Doris

trainophile

Established Member
Hasn't moved yet according to RTT. Why would you need to explain anything at the gateline?

Barriers at MCV which would reject my ticket, however I was let through after a brief explanation.

Now stuck at Piccadilly as my 1430 Milford Haven was cancelled. I will probably go back to Southport and try again tomorrow :roll: . At least they have unlocked the toilets turnstile at Picc! :D

MonsooN

I'm currently sitting at Birmingham New Street. I've boarded a train to Glasgow but it moved forward about 50 metres and it's been stopped for 30 minutes now just further along the platform. Apparently it's tain crew that's the issue.

I was supposed to be on the 1.30 from Bristol to Newcastle, but decided to just come straight back this morning so got the 9.30 instead.

Long, long day!

D1009

Established Member
Just been announced at Bristol Parkway that there are no services north of Cheltenham other than towards Worcester for the foreseeable future.

miami

Established Member
Was supposed to get the 1136 stone to Euston on the LM only off peak return. That didn't happen - the trains heading north seem to have been abandoned at kidsgrove and just before stoke. Glad I didn't get the 1036, which eventually made it to rugby about an hour late, but no further.

Drove to Warwick parkway instead, got a lovely children train that's running a little late, LM tickets clearly accepted, and delay repay should refund them anyway.

However the question is on Saturday, will the return ticket be accepted to Warwick parkway?

Last edited by a moderator:

GW43125

Established Member
1E10 1000 EDB-KGX looks fun and games. Went from 1L through Dunbar to 157L through Oxwellmains. Came through Northallerton 179L four mins ago. I smell delay repay!

On a side note-would they compensate for a weather-related delay? I presume not.

GW43125

Established Member
Was supposed to get the 1136 stone to Euston on the LM only off peak return. That didn't happen - the trains heading north seem to have been abandoned at kidsgrove and just before stoke. Glad I didn't get the 1036, which eventually made it to rugby about an hour late, but no further.

Drove to Warwick parkway instead, got a lovely children train that's running a little late, LM tickets clearly accepted, and delay repay should refund them anyway.

However the question is on Saturday, will the return ticket be accepted to Warwick parkway?

Must be really up the wall if there's a school train still running at 1300 <D:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.