• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Storm Pia disruption - Thursday 21st December 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirodo

Appears there's now an issue just north of Grantham, lots of services queueing up.

Also NNG Platform 1 appears to be out of action with northbound services using Platform 2.
A tree has fallen on the overhead wires north south of Doncaster and is on fire, according to the info the guard on our train has given us.

I’m currently on 1D10 (10:33 Kings X - Leeds), being held at Peterborough until further notice.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Was an issue just south of Grantham, now one just north of Newark, and issues southbound just north of Retford.

Established Member
Appears there's now an issue just north of Grantham, lots of services queueing up.

Also NNG Platform 1 appears to be out of action with northbound services using Platform 2.
A large tree is on contract with OHL between Newark and Retford. Down line is blocked. 1D08 is diverting via short Joint line to Doncaster.

A block has been placed on departures from Kings Cross for services towards Doncaster .

Last edited:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

I've made it south of Grantham on 1E02, powering South (for now)

Banham7

1D09 stopped at Newark Crossing East now, 1B82 behind still sat on the mainline despite P3 now being vacant.

Edit: 1D09 now on the move from an extended wait.

Established Member
Aiming for a 1300 hand back of down line between Newark and Retford, unsure yet if full OHl or restricted to diesel.

Any information on what's happened on the up lines around Retford? 1A25 seems to have been stuck around there for about an hour now, with a queue forming behind it.

Update: train manager attributes it to the same down line disruption as @800001 — so are they blocking the up lines as well to allow the crews to clear the disruption?

Established Member
Any information on what's happened on the up lines around Retford? 1A25 seems to have been stuck around there for about an hour now, with a queue forming behind it.
Presume it Will be a line block to remove the large conifer that is on the Overhead lines

Presume it Will be a line block to remove the large conifer that is on the Overhead lines
Any idea why 1E08 (and 1E07 and 1A64 behind it) are being held at Ranskill Loop, some distance back from the three-train queue at Retford?

Established Member
Services been given authority to start to depart Kings Cross towards Doncaster

Aiming for a 1300 hand back of down line between Newark and Retford, unsure yet if full OHl or restricted to diesel.
1300 deadline has now passed; our train manager hasn't been given any further updates.

Update: I need to post more because yet again, as soon as I did we started moving!!

Established Member
1300 deadline has now passed; our train manager hasn't been given any further updates.

Update: I need to post more because yet again, as soon as I did we started moving!!
3 minutes passed, given the team on the ground, and control rooms chance, and it wasn’t a deadline it was an ‘aspiration’.

Essexman

Established Member
We’re at Liverpool sitting on 12.43 to London which is being held due to wires down on slow lines near Hemel Hempstead. Trains backed up and seems no idea when we’ll leave. Does anyone have more information.
Wondering if we’d be better finding another route.

3 minutes passed, given the team on the ground, and control rooms chance, and it wasn’t a deadline it was an ‘aspiration’.
Aye, fair enough!

Appears the movement is just the group of three trains further behind moving forward to stack up behind the front three...

Established Member
Aye, fair enough!

Appears the movement is just the group of three trains further behind moving forward to stack up behind the front three...
Staff are in process of cutting the conifer now, hopefully not much longer and trains can be moved

Established Member
Going by RTT, the last Avanti that got away from Euston was the 1153 to Manchester. Everything later seems to be stuck. Not looking great.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm sat on the southbound unit stopped at Cheddington. Wires are down in front of us. Power went off, back on but then off again. I suspect this might take a while to sort (which isn't too bad for me as it'll mean a free trip as I'm not in a great hurry).

Established Member
All those waiting trains have just been cancelled.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All those waiting trains have just been cancelled.

Yeah, I suspect they'll try to restart the job in an hour or two from scratch once it's sorted. Interesting that it is affecting all four lines. We've had power back for a bit but lost it again, perhaps they were trying a short term fix.

Ocean N.

Yeah, I suspect they'll try to restart the job in an hour or two from scratch once it's sorted. Interesting that it is affecting all four lines. We've had power back for a bit but lost it again, perhaps they were trying a short term fix.
I am on the LNWR 1139 train to Milton Keynes Central, and the train broke down before we arrive at Hemel Hempstead… Dunno if that’s OHLE or pantograph’s problem…

Is it possible to open the doors and let us walk back to nearest station..?

DoubleLemon

That would be very dangerous.
1.it could be miles
2.what would you do at the station, where would you go?
3. No other train can love unless they are 100% sure no one is on the line.

Currently stuck at Milton Keynes myself.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I am on the LNWR 1139 train to Milton Keynes Central, and the train broke down before we arrive at Hemel Hempstead… Dunno if that’s OHLE or pantograph’s problem…

The power is off, presumably so the OHLE issue can be repaired. (It came back on then went back off after about 45 minutes, which suggests they were doing something with it!)

Is it possible to open the doors and let us walk back to nearest station..?

I very much doubt that, they don't typically evacuate until it looks like nothing is going to move that day.

Established Member
Wires down/damaged Bourne End Junction, LNWR 1U26 culprit train.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
We (2K22 sat at Cheddington for about 1h20 now) have got power back. Hopefully it stays this time. I guess everything going slow line for the rest of the day...

Status
Not open for further replies.