• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Strategies for getting a seat pair as a solo passenger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRX

Established Member
You're traveling by yourself and boarding a fairly busy train that has a number of unreserved seats. And you fancy getting a pair of seats to yourself.

Do you have strategies for this?

For example, I might spot a pair of seats that are reserved for the entire journey, with no-one in them, and choose a seat nearby with the intention of switching into those reserved ones if there's still noone in them 10mins after departure.

If there's an entirely unreserved carriage I might go there... Because other seat-searchers arriving in that part of the train will find several alternatives to sitting down next to me.

Maybe at a terminus I'll go right to the front going most others are too lazy to go that far. On the other hand... On a busy train, maybe others will have walked the whole train, finding no empty pairs, and upon reaching the end resign themselves to a single seat next to me.

Maybe the very back carriage is better, because other seat seekers will walk on through hoping better options exist further up.

Of course then there's the whole thing of deliberately putting bags in the seat next to you - I try not to do that too much. My question is about your strategies for choosing your seat rather than defending it once you're there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I find sitting facing backwards to work until things get very busy. Most people want to face forwards.

Also helps if the seat is undesirable in some other way, e.g. poor legroom (if you're short), no window or no power socket, or near the bog. Or choose a 350/2 over a 2+2 seated unit in the formation.

Regarding where in a long train, generally the next to front coach is the one to go for. The front gets busier as people stop there, realise it's a bit busy and don't go back. Or at Euston in the long platforms, down the ramp and back on yourself to the rear coach is usually the quietest.

xotGD

Established Member
People often want to be as close to the exit as possible, so sitting at the opposite end of the train can give you and edge.

cygnus44

If there is a bag on one of the few spare seats and I need to sit, I will request the offender to remove it. As the on train staff seam not to be bothered about it . Maybe a compulsory ticket for offending articles on seats may do the trick.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
People often want to be as close to the exit as possible, so sitting at the opposite end of the train can give you and edge.

A million times this. The back (or the third coach in the long platforms) of a 12 car LNR service can be crush loaded while people have a bay to themselves in the front couple of coaches (or rear in the long platforms).

mrcheek

Established Member
Johnny Vaughan (who has never said anything else that ever made me laugh) suggested this for buses and trains:

When you want to avoid people sitting next to you, look up at them as they get on, make eye contact, smile, and pat the seat next to you.....

The obvious serious strategy is to go to a particular end of the train, normally whichever was the far end at the starting station.
Looking for reserved seats is another good idea. Look for ones that have been reserved but not taken, or ones that are reserved for later in the journey.
If you dont have much stuff with you, swapping between unreserved seats mid-journey is also possible.

Johnny Vaughan (who has never said anything else that ever made me laugh) suggested this for buses and trains:

When you want to avoid people sitting next to you, look up at them as they get on, make eye contact, smile, and pat the seat next to you.....

I think he's stolen this off Derren Brown, who I'm sure said exactly the same thing in one of his early specials. Of course, it's not that outrageous an idea that two people couldn't come up with it independently.

Cymroglan

I think he's stolen this off Derren Brown, who I'm sure said exactly the same thing in one of his early specials. Of course, it's not that outrageous an idea that two people couldn't come up with it independently.
Showing my age here, but the late Robert Robinson mentioned on Radio 4, or possibly the Home Service a similar approach in order to have an entire compartment to oneself. He advised calling out “come on in, there’s plenty of room here!” as a strategy guaranteed to keep people out!

Veteran Member
Wear a clerical collar? But be prepared for the occasional passenger who doesn't want to avoid you - can be bad enough if you're a vicar wanting to work/sleep/spot trains, potentially awkward if you are faking it :)

Travel in (2+1) first class!

bramling

Veteran Member
You're traveling by yourself and boarding a fairly busy train that has a number of unreserved seats. And you fancy getting a pair of seats to yourself.

Do you have strategies for this?

For example, I might spot a pair of seats that are reserved for the entire journey, with no-one in them, and choose a seat nearby with the intention of switching into those reserved ones if there's still noone in them 10mins after departure.

If there's an entirely unreserved carriage I might go there... Because other seat-searchers arriving in that part of the train will find several alternatives to sitting down next to me.

Maybe at a terminus I'll go right to the front going most others are too lazy to go that far. On the other hand... On a busy train, maybe others will have walked the whole train, finding no empty pairs, and upon reaching the end resign themselves to a single seat next to me.

Maybe the very back carriage is better, because other seat seekers will walk on through hoping better options exist further up.

Of course then there's the whole thing of deliberately putting bags in the seat next to you - I try not to do that too much. My question is about your strategies for choosing your seat rather than defending it once you're there.

I know someone who will “accidentally” spill a drink on the adjacent seat. Rather below the belt, but it seems to work.

greyman42

Established Member
I know someone who will “accidentally” spill a drink on the adjacent seat. Rather below the belt, but it seems to work.
That is really selfish as the seat is going to remain wet long after the person has got off. Then someone comes along and sits in the seat without expecting it to be wet and ends up with their clothes wet. If some people are that anti-social that they cannot spend a journey with someone else sat next to them then they should avoid public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.