• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sturton railway station

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This station was situated on the MSL Brigg to Gainsborough line and I need the following information:-

In between which two stations (closed or open) was it situated

What goods were handled there and what handling facilities were there

T he opening and closing dates of the railway station

Did it ever use another railway station name during its existence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Built c.1850, closed to passengers 1959, completely closed 1964. Looks to have been midway between Clarborough tunnel / Clarborough Junction (on the line from Retford) and Gainsborough Trent Junction. See if I can find any further info.

Andy873

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Built c.1850, closed to passengers 1959, completely closed 1964. Looks to have been midway between Clarborough tunnel / Clarborough Junction (on the line from Retford) and Gainsborough Trent Junction. See if I can find any further info.
Not my area, but looking at the 1909 OS map, looks like it was named Seawby & Hibaldstow.

Next station along going East is Brigg station, going West shows Kirton Lindsey.

Here is the station, Sturton is to the North.

Fearing a bit, that I'm liable to confuse -- rather than clarify -- things here; but per my understanding, there are in these general parts, two Sturtons: both of them having had, now-closed, rail stations associated with them name-wise. @Mcr Warrior: my perception is, that your reference is to Sturton station between, as you state, Gainsborough; and Retford; it served the village of Sturton-le-Steeple, Nottinghamshire. @Xenophon PCDGS 's OP concerns -- as per @Andy873 's post -- the other Sturton: in Lincolnshire, near Brigg. The station here concerned, spent most of its life named SCawby & Hibaldstow (this Sturton village lies between the villages of Scawby, and Hibaldstow -- in fact nearer to the station, than either of them !) -- I seem to find via Googling: that station was once, for a while, officially named Sturton & Scawby. Station situated between the two -- still passenger-served -- of Brigg; and Kirton Lindsey.

ETA: Wiki's entry for Scawby & Hibaldstow station states that it was opened in 1849, and closed in 1968.

Gloster

Established Member
Sturton was between Gainsborough North Junction and Clarborough Junction east of Retford. According to Quick’s Chronology it was opened on 17 July 1849 and closed on 2 February 1959. No other name is listed.

Another Sturton is part of Scawby, which was served by Scawby & Hibaldstow. This was opened 2 April 1849 and closed 5 May 1968.

Gloster

Established Member
Looking at the 25” maps for the beginning of the last century, both stations appear to have just the normal facilities of a country station including cattle pens. Oddly, Sturton appears to have coal drops.

Rescars

Established Member
The entry for Sturton in the 1904 RCH Handbook of Stations records it as a GC station between Retford and Gainsboro' handling goods, passengers, parcels, livestock, horseboxes and prize cattle vans. There would appear to have been no crane available in the goods yard. Further details could no doubt have been provided in response to a letter or telegram addressed to the stationmaster!

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Fearing a bit, that I'm liable to confuse -- rather than clarify -- things here; but per my understanding, there are in these general parts, two Sturtons:
There is a third Sturton in the area - Sturton by Stow - but its station was called Stow Park, between Saxilby and Gainsborough. It closed in 1961, but the line is still open.

Calthrop

Established Member
There is a third Sturton in the area - Sturton by Stow - but its station was called Stow Park, between Saxilby and Gainsborough. It closed in 1961, but the line is still open.
Forgiveness asked for facetiousness -- but there now comes to mind, situation of the two closed stations, ten miles or so apart and decidedly similar name-wise: Stow Park as above, GN & JE Joint line; and on the East Coast Main, Crow Park (between Newark and Dukeries Junction). One might feel this to be a somewhat confusion-prone part of the country / rail system !