• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Super Hellfire Picture Thread [Large Images]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mintona

Established Member
Very clever - name him and (possibly) just have informed his manager he did something wrong...please take that out...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

P156KWJ

Established Member
and yesterday it would have been difficult to charge many people, as many passengers were Virgin Trains passengers who's trains were cancelled from Manchester and regardless of if they'd paid for first class, weren't allowed to sit in it.

P156KWJ

Established Member
If their manager found out, I doubt that giving someone a free upgrade would be strong ground for losing his job!

P156KWJ

Established Member
couple from yesterday:
Somewhere on the way down to London, Gizzy studies her camera
attachment.php

ekr123 enjoys his complimentary tea ;)
attachment.php

Attachments

• SDC10917.JPG
    SDC10917.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 82
  • SDC10921.JPG
    SDC10921.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 80

BJMorley

Cup of Boiling Hot Water?

What I don't get is why people who go Second Class get the drink made for them, while people in FC have to have sachets and to do it ourselves. What are we actually paying for? :| :|

class 313

Established Member

What I don't get is why people who go Second Class get the drink made for them, while people in FC have to have sachets and to do it ourselves. What are we actually paying for? :| :|

Well, STD class people have to pay for their tea. Also on weekends you're not paying for much.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
gizmoglelazerwx9.jpg

Thankyou Jamie :p

Old joke is old.

Death

Established Member
Hmmm...I never noticed that before, but as someone who always travels in standard class, it's me who's having to pay about £2.49 if he wants to avail himself of a hot beverage! :lol:

Incidentally, the only time I've had to make my own drink at the buffet was back in the days of MML and their nice teas and coffees...And those were free even to standard class passengers. Coincidence? 8)
And on that note: I have the feeling I might've been the only person ever to have been banned from the buffet on an MML service because of the amount of coffee that I can get through! :shock::lol::razz:

Well, STD people have to pay for their tea. Also on weekends you're not paying for much.
But how on Earth would the person serving at the buffet know if a passenger has an STD or not? :shock::roll::lol:

Yeah, it was Halfpenny.
He didn't give us any hassle though. I think he gave someone a free upgrade and everything!
Is that someone who normally gives enthusiasts a bit of a hard time then? Can't say I'm familiar with him, to be honest... :|

If you go via Derby, its Down. Midland Railway routes always went up to Derby.
I'd like to know the thinking behind the up/down system anyway...If "up" referred to trains heading Northbound, and "down" referred to trains heading south, then it'd make perfect sense to me...But "up" moves that I've taken include Farnborough > Waterloo, Blackwater > Guildford, and Stansted > Liverpool street! :shock:

Now where - I ask myself - Is the logic in that system? :?:

16CSVT2700

Established Member
In railway terms, the phrases "down" and "up" refer to the direction to or from an originating point.
For example on the Great Western all directions away from London Paddington are "Down", and all directions towards London Paddington are "Up".

In other examples, like Farington Curve Jcn to the Blackburn line. The line designations are Down East Lancs heading away from Farington Curve Jcn towards Lostock Hall, and Up East Lancs heading towards it away from Lostock.
If I have totally confused you I'll post a few Quail scans to show you what I mean..

BJMorley

But what are you paying for in FC at Weekends? If it's a FC service, it works all week to give a FC service, not when it fels like it!!

Death

Established Member
In railway terms, the phrases "down" and "up" refer to the direction to or from an originating point.
For example on the Great Western all directions away from London Paddington are "Down", and all directions towards London Paddington are "Up".
So all movements towards London Latrine are considered "up", and all movements out of there are "down" then (Except for St. Pancreas > Derby, as Brandon pointed out above) I suppose that figures. :)

...Though in my mind - With all good things being found up North - "Down" should really be used for southbound services IMO! :razz:

In other examples, like Farington Curve Jcn to the Blackburn line. The line designations are Down East Lancs heading away from Farington Curve Jcn towards Lostock Hall, and Up East Lancs heading towards it away from Lostock.
If I have totally confused you I'll post a few Quail scans to show you what I mean..
I think I get ye there...Indeed, I believe that might be the line that I got my first trans-Pennine coverage on earlier this year (Running Preston > Blackburn > Burnley > Halifax > Leeds > Gjorvik) so the line itself - And that damn Hellfire incline west of Hebden <D - Is still fresh in my mind. 8)

So basically: It sounds like "up" is West, and "down" is east in that case...Right? :)

But what are you paying for in FC at Weekends? If it's a FC service, it works all week to give a FC service, not when it fels like it!!
I always viewed FC as "a slightly bigger seat at 2x the price"...Hence why I always go standard, and save myself a bucket in the process! :razz:
The last time I travelled in FC - Between Leamington Spa and Euston - Was about 2-3 years ago...But that was because the train was heavily overcrowded that night, I had an injury (So couldn't stand) and decided that I qualified for a free upgrade of my Y-P standard class ticket. As it was, FC was declassified just after I took my seat in there anyway...So I didn't have to worry about making sure the Guard could see that I was in a rather angry mood, and had some rather sharp 3in spiked bracers on my arms... :shock:8)<D

The only FC "amenity" I've ever wished for was the free wi-fi that they offer...But for that I normally stand in an SC vestibule with my laptop or mobile and leech off of the nearest FC coach. ;)

Craig

Established Member
Are non-advance purchase first class fares cheaper on a weekend, or are you talking rubbish again?

The same fares are available on weekdays, but there is a larger quota of advance purchase tickets available on weekends to fill what would otherwise be empty seats. Perhaps if EMT offered a first class service on weekends people would be prepared to pay a bit more and they wouldn't have so many seats to fill.

Status
Not open for further replies.