• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

super off peak ticket for use on sleeper seated

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightatLaira

Are super off peak tickets booked for ordinary daytime travel valid for travel on the Caledonian sleeper in seated sleeper class?

(I know that a reservation is necessary)

Also, what if the Super Off Peak ticket is discounted by a railcard? Does that affect things?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Are super off peak tickets booked for ordinary daytime travel valid for travel on the Caledonian sleeper in seated sleeper class?
Yes, subject to the route taken by the Caledonian sleeper being all or part of a permitted route between the origin and the destination on the ticket.
what if the SOP ticket is discounted by a railcard? Does that affect things?
No.

Be3G

Established Member

As John above me says, it is indeed, but I will also add that – subject to availability (which can be rather limited) – it is possible to purchase a supplement which entitles you to a bed too.

najaB

Veteran Member
As John above me says, it is indeed, but I will also add that – subject to availability (which can be rather limited) – it is possible to purchase a supplement which entitles you to a bed too.
I've found them to be very limited on the lowland sleeper, a bit easier to get on the highland.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A super off peak ticket doesn't have to be used on the booked train, it remains valid as per the ticket T&Cs.

I would advise you consider booking a sleeper berth, unless you're happy to sleep in an uncomfortable position with loud Mk2 braking sounds (some people are... but I'm not!)

bnm

Established Member
As a sort of follow on to this, what are the time restrictions for onward travel once you arrive in London on an 'up' Sleeper from Scotland?

If you hold a Super Off Peak Return to a Scottish destination and have used the Sleeper on the return to Euston, can you continue your journey from another London terminal that might well have restrictions on travel before a certain time in the morning?

I ask, because many restrictions codes on Super Off Peak (and indeed Off Peak) tickets bar travel in the morning. Example:

Bristol - Edinburgh Super Off Peak Return (✠Via London). According to the restriction code text (5A), you can't depart Paddington befor 1010. Do you really have to wait 3 hours after arriving at London Euston on the Sleeper?

No mention in the text of use of the Sleeper.

NightatLaira

Thank you for the advice all. I might consider upgrading to a berth either by the Caledonian solo route or by a straight upgrade from Super Off Peak.

Status
Not open for further replies.