• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarket free bus services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotrail88

i have heard that ASDA have decided to pull the shoppers services across the UK.
Can anyone confirm this?

Would be interesting to see if we can collectively pull a list together of them all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
There have been going down hill for years.......

Fife had some years ago but both were pulled..

Dunfermline Halbeath and Kirkcaldy both had Asda Free buses but both disappeared, around 6 years ago.

* Paisley still has Asda Free bus.
* Aberdeen I think is going, our Aberdeen members could confirm?

Last edited:

Volvodart

Established Member
Yes the one day a week Aberdeen city service and the 2 days run from part of Aberdeenshire to Asda Garthdee are ceasing next month.

Established Member
Keighley has one I think. Not sure if the Burnley one still runs, it's on Transdev's app, but there's no mention of it to be found anywhere else. If the merger goes ahead either the Asda or Sainsburys will close anyway.

darloscott

We (Stagecarriage, Middlesbrough) operate the services from the Middlesbrough store three days a week from various points around the area.

Alex 2901

Keighley has one I think. Not sure if the Burnley one still runs, it's on Transdev's app, but there's no mention of it to be found anywhere else. If the merger goes ahead either the Asda or Sainsburys will close anyway.

Burnley one still runs, I caught it Thursday, in order to kill time till my 9 was due out.

vlad

There were free buses to the Wolstanton Asda when it opened in the 1980s but they haven't run for years.

A few of years ago a new bus bay was put in for relatively frequent commercial services but they ceased fairly abruptly last year so the choice now is either walk or drive.

Darandio

Established Member
We (Stagecarriage, Middlesbrough) operate the services from the Middlesbrough store three days a week from various points around the area.

Are there any timetables for these services now? I did ask several years ago when it was Stagecoach operated, it all seemed like some secret operation.

Andyh82

Established Member

The Keighley service isn’t an Asda free bus, it’s a public service K8 that runs to Asda

There is a free bus for Leeds Asda as well.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Local newspaper reported Thursday that Penryn, Cornwall, one being axed. Hayle doesn't have one, so not affected. Almost as though Sainsbury's had taken over already!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wait, ASDA paid for these? I'd always figured they were some sort of Local Authority thing!

overthewater

Established Member
Wait, ASDA paid for these? I'd always figured they were some sort of Local Authority thing!

There were a few that were paid for by the local Authortiy but the majority were or are paid for by the Supermarkets. Tesco still has some but its like a KGB trying to get details and even the staff in the shops were never told sometimes...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Contracted by Asda, falling outside the usual registration system with the Traffic Commissioners, so unable to charge fares or, indeed, to insist passengers went into Asda let alone buy anything there! Able to use non-compliant with disability legislation vehicles too, and many did!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There were a few that were paid for by the local Authortiy but the majority were or are paid for by the Supermarkets. Tesco still has some but its like a KGB trying to get details and even the staff in the shops were never told sometimes...
Timetable available in my local Tesco!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Contracted by Asda, falling outside the usual registration system with the Traffic Commissioners, so unable to charge fares or, indeed, to insist passengers went into Asda let alone buy anything there!

Thank you both! Learn something new every day and all that :)

Able to use non-compliant with disability legislation vehicles too, and many did!

Ha yes on the odd occasion that I've spotted the one that runs around my area it does seem to be a more, er, heritage vehicle that's used on it :lol:

darloscott

Are there any timetables for these services now? I did ask several years ago when it was Stagecoach operated, it all seemed like some secret operation.

Here's a timetable for ours. Runs Wed Thu Fri usually operated by one of our Scania Omnidekka's. believe it's written into the planning permission for the store so won't be cancelled until the store closes, if it ever does.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.JPG
    IMG_2516.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 172

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Here's a timetable for ours. Runs Wed Thu Fri usually operated by one of our Scania Omnidekka's. believe it's written into the planning permission for the store so won't be cancelled until the store closes, if it ever does.
Keep an eye on that, then. Many things are written into planning permissions that never happen!

Darandio

Established Member

Interesting, thanks!

buses7675

Asda, Hunts Cross, Liverpool service, currently operated by HTL Buses, gets withdrawn from 2nd July

Sleepy

Established Member
ASDA Chelmer village (Chelmsford) and South Woodham Ferrers both used to have extensive shoppers bus routes, unsure if they still run.

Cesarcollie

ASDA Chelmer village (Chelmsford) and South Woodham Ferrers both used to have extensive shoppers bus routes, unsure if they still run.

No both gone some time ago. Shoebury (Southend) remains but finishes at start of July. I understand well over half of the remaining services around the country funded by ASDA are going at about this time.

Cesarcollie

Keep an eye on that, then. Many things are written into planning permissions that never happen!

Unlikely the planning consent will stipulate a bus service 'for ever' - no developer would agree to that. 3/5/10 years are most common.

Silver Cobra

ASDA Great Yarmouth has a bus service running from the town centre to the store. I can't remember who runs the service, but I know it's not any of the main operators within Yarmouth (First, Anglia, Konectbus). Whenever I've visited the Yarmouth store in my travels, the vehicle I've seen being used for the service has been an early 2000s white Optare Solo. I imagine that this service will probably be pulled at a similar time to others around the country.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Here in South Wales we have the Stagecoach-operated free bus between Blackwood bus station and ASDA and NAT's Newport Bus Station - Sainsbury's. Both are short journeys of about five minutes rather than serving outlying areas.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The Keighley service isn’t an Asda free bus, it’s a public service K8 that runs to Asda

However it is indirectly paid for by ASDA - it's the result of Section 106 charges on the development.
Originally it wasn't too bad, being an extension on the 719. However, when the frequency of the route dropped from 4bph to 3bph it ran as a separate service. It serves 3 stops, including both termini. Keighley Bus Station, Keighley Rail Station and "ASDA". However the stop at ASDA is so far from the store that it's usually easier to catch it just one stop and use the side entrance to ASDA. As well as the 3bph on this route, the 662 runs at least 6bph with 2bph on the 60 which stops just across the road. It doesn't start until 0905, with a last journey at 1405. On Saturdays it runs until 1605, missing out buses at 1245 and 1305. It's usually run with a double decker, despite very few passengers using it.

http://www.keighleybus.co.uk/cmsUploads/route/files/K8WEBtimetableJuly2017-2.pdf

The Sainsbury's bus in Halifax is a better kept secret. It runs from the bus station to Sainsbury's, serving nowhere else. The timetable is not on the Metro website and the number of the bus is not on the operator's website. There's a timetable at the stop which is about as far from the entrance to the supermarket as it could be whilst still being on their property.

https://bustimes.org/services/c68-sainsburys-halifax-circular

Oh, yes. Sainsbury's is almost next to the bus station. Google maps reckons it's a 5 minute walk, but it doesn't direct you by the shortest route. The bus takes 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.