• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Supermarkets discussion

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rather random pair of chairs and a table in the frozen foods aisle at a Morrisons l went to this morning. Not sure what this is all about…

Attachments

• IMG_4343.jpeg
    IMG_4343.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 83

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Rather random pair of chairs and a table in the frozen foods aisle at a Morrisons l went to this morning. Not sure what this is all about…
My local has had this for a few months now, but it also had a sign explaining what it was about:

Morrisons has rolled out new seated areas in its stores as it encourages weary shoppers to “stop and rest”.

A table with chairs has been introduced in store, along with a sign that reads: “Please feel free to take a break from your shopping”.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
My local has had this for a few months now, but it also had a sign explaining what it was about:

The Penzance store could do with them as almost all public seating in the town is either behind scaffolding barriers or h a giant crane blocking a road denying disabled drivers their normal access to a shopping street with six public benches in it. This has been the case for some weeks now. Sorry if that's off topic.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member

That looks like an amazing good idea - provided that the store has space somewhere to put the chairs that isn't going to block other people doing their shopping. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any supermarket near me, owned by any chain, that has that kind of space anywhere in the store (except beyond the checkouts, which would only be useful to people who have finished their shopping).

hexagon789

Veteran Member
That looks like an amazing good idea - provided that the store has space somewhere to put the chairs that isn't going to block other people doing their shopping. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any supermarket near me, owned by any chain, that has that kind of space anywhere in the store (except beyond the checkouts, which would only be useful to people who have finished their shopping).
My local has it in a fairly open section of the store in front of the bakery, previously there was simply a large table-stand with Doughnuts and various bakery products laid out in the same spot.

It is though, immediately in line with what I assume is the door to the staff area. Possibly they could've put the table and seating another 20ft or so towards the bakery, just to be completely out of line of the doorway.

Gloster

Established Member

Morrison’s in Newport (Wight) has them by the cooked meats counter. They seem to have replaced a couple of the displays, on what looked like upturned wire cages, of this week’s/today’s eye-catcher.

skyhigh

Established Member
It's one of the new CEO's ideas that he's brought from one of his previous employers.

As is usual for Morrisons, they have implemented it in their usual half-hearted way with apparently a spare table from their break room stuck in a random place.

Another idea is why you'll now see signs around saying "My name is X and I'm your store manager, if you have any complaints please contact me directly on my mobile number".

Ken X

Another idea is why you'll now see signs around saying "My name is X and I'm your store manager, if you have any complaints please contact me directly on my mobile number".
Is it only me who sees an opportunity for mischief here?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Sainsbury's seem to have kicked out a lot of in-store pharmacies, and not replaced them with anything else. Now Boots are closing stores (previously they've closed the pharmacy counters at time due to no qualified staff), which does start making me wonder about this amazing Government idea of having you able to get a consultation for more things at your local chemist than seeing your GP.

Fine if your chemist isn't closing or downsizing!

RuddA

Sainsbury's seem to have kicked out a lot of in-store pharmacies, and not replaced them with anything else. Now Boots are closing stores (previously they've closed the pharmacy counters at time due to no qualified staff), which does start making me wonder about this amazing Government idea of having you able to get a consultation for more things at your local chemist than seeing your GP.

Fine if your chemist isn't closing or downsizing!
Tried to visit a pharmacy a few weeks ago but both my local ones now close all weekend.

Didn't Lloyds pharmacy pull out of all Sainsbury's, rather than Sainsbury's kicking them out?

skyhigh

Established Member
At their Cheadle Royal store, Sainsburys no longer have the pharmacy department that once was there. I think it was not part of their operations, but a separate company who ran it, as there was a till in that section.
Sainsbury's seem to have kicked out a lot of in-store pharmacies, and not replaced them with anything else.
Lloyds closed all their branches in Sainsbury's in 2023 due to "changing market conditions" - essentially not enough government funding and a struggle to find enough qualified staff. Sainsbury's didn't kick them out.

jfollows

Established Member
Boots moved out of Waitrose in Wilmslow pre-Covid, again I think it was their choice although Waitrose has "repurposed" the area I think.

It seems that the NHS wants to push the idea of consulting with a pharmacist without someone being prepared to pay for it.

The idea of a pharmacy in a store worked for me, it was helpful to be able to visit the pharmacy at the same time as shopping. I don't think it was lack of custom, it seemed more like the funding model didn't work for them.

The staff in the pharmacy attached to my GP were close to incompetent also. I get all my medicines by post now, I haven't wanted or needed to visit a pharmacy in years.

EDIT And I no longer shop in Waitrose either, I’ve not been in my local store since before 2020.

skyhigh

Established Member
The idea of a pharmacy in a store worked for me, it was helpful to be able to visit the pharmacy at the same time as shopping. I don't think it was lack of custom, it seemed more like the funding model didn't work for them.
I found the Lloyds in the local Sainsbury's useless. Repeat prescriptions were never there to collect, they either could find no record of them, they were out of stock or something else. Either that or they were closed within their published opening hours.

jfollows

Established Member
I found the Lloyds in the local Sainsbury's useless. Repeat prescriptions were never there to collect, they either could find no record of them, they were out of stock or something else. Either that or they were closed within their published opening hours.
Fair enough, that’s pretty useless I agree.
In the past the worst pharmacy for this sort of thing was the large Boots in the middle of Manchester. Nowadays the worst I get from Pharmacy2U (I know!) is to ask if I want to wait for all my pills or to ship the ones they have first, and the others follow.

jon81uk

Also, if they want bag searches, at least put a notice up to that effect. Also they stopped there free bags a few years ago. they surely could find it less cost to reintroduce their bags as the only ones to be used. I just am not a happy Bunny. 73 years of age and by the fact of asking to look in the bag, thus suspecting that I could be a shoplifter, really sticks in the throat.
Rant Over!

Aldi and Lidl never offered free bags, one of the many ways the discount supermarkets offered lower prices.

Then of course in 2015 the government said they have to charge at least 5p and in 2021 increased it to at least 10p.

I have noticed that recently, some Robinson's Apple and Blackcurrant cordial bottles are carrying a note stating "double strength" at the bottom section of the bottle labels recently. I mention this as that is my favourite fruit cordial

I would be interested in what that means. They appear to also produce a 'single strength' version as well. The double strength version has twice the fruit concentrate of the single strength version. Fair enough, but is the single strength version that which they used to sell? My suspicion (aroused by reading a review 'weak as dishwater') is that, in the equivalent of shrinkflation, they have watered down the original slightly, so you need more cordial to make the same strength drink.

sell

The double strength stuff has been around at least five years. It is the opposite to watering down, there is less water in it, you add more at home. The amount of fruit juice remains the same.

The regular squash you add one part squash to four parts water (20% squash in the final drink). The undiluted squash contains 10% fruit juice.
Double strength squash you add one part squash to nine parts water (10% squash in the final drink) as it has less water in the bottle, it is twice as strong (double strength). Undiluted squash contains 20% fruit juice.

Most supermarket own squash has gone to quadruple strength, so one part squash to 19 parts water (5% squash in the finished drink). Undiluted squash contains 40% fruit juice.
I therefore stopped buying the own brand as it was impossible to get a good tasting drink as the error margin was too much trying to measure out such a small amount.

At their Cheadle Royal store, Sainsburys no longer have the pharmacy department that once was there. I think it was not part of their operations, but a separate company who ran it, as there was a till in that section.
Lloyds pharmacy pulled out of being in Sainsbury's last year

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The double strength stuff has been around at least five years. It is the opposite to watering down, there is less water in it, you add more at home. The amount of fruit juice remains the same.

The regular squash you add one part squash to four parts water (20% squash in the final drink). The undiluted squash contains 10% fruit juice.
Double strength squash you add one part squash to nine parts water (10% squash in the final drink) as it has less water in the bottle, it is twice as strong (double strength). Undiluted squash contains 20% fruit juice.
I like my cordial drink quite strong, so I can really taste the fruits. I have a large glass in which I pour the single-strength Robinson's Apple and Blackcurrant cordial to the half-way mark, then top it with a similar amount of tap water.(aka Corporation Pop).

DelW

Established Member
Most supermarket own squash has gone to quadruple strength, so one part squash to 19 parts water (5% squash in the finished drink). Undiluted squash contains 40% fruit juice.
I therefore stopped buying the own brand as it was impossible to get a good tasting drink as the error margin was too much trying to measure out such a small amount.
My solution (not an intentional pun) to this is to make up a litre at a time in an old 1-litre PET lemonade bottle and keep it in the fridge. Measuring say 90ml (for 10:1) or 110ml (for 8:1) for the ones I drink is easier than trying to measure it in the glass. I use one of these (I don't have a dishwasher, so I haven't encountered the problem the reviews mention):
(Sainsbury's listing for a 120ml "midi" measuring glass).

I haven't tried the "quadruple strength" squash versions, but measuring 50ml into the bottle would still be straightforward.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Certainly Orange Juice and Squash has had a considerable uplift in price over the last couple of months.

It’s going down now. Tescos own brand freshly squeezed has reduced from £2.10 to £2.00 / litre in the last couple of weeks.

dangie

Established Member
In the past the worst pharmacy for this sort of thing was the large Boots in the middle of Manchester.
I’ve done plenty of criticism of Boots in the past, but I have to say in the 10+ years I’ve had a repeat monthly prescription for ‘men’s problems’ I can count on one hand the time my tablets haven’t been ready.

KT550

I’ve done plenty of criticism of Boots in the past, but I have to say in the 10+ years I’ve had a repeat monthly prescription for ‘men’s problems’ I can count on one hand the time my tablets haven’t been ready.

Did you know you can get a text notification when repeat prescriptions are ready for collection at Boots?

The whole system excelled itself this week. Ordered on the NHS app on Tuesday, text from Boots on Thursday to say ready for collection.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
My solution (not an intentional pun) to this is to make up a litre at a time in an old 1-litre PET lemonade bottle and keep it in the fridge. Measuring say 90ml (for 10:1) or 110ml (for 8:1) for the ones I drink is easier than trying to measure it in the glass. I use one of these (I don't have a dishwasher, so I haven't encountered the problem the reviews mention):
(Sainsbury's listing for a 120ml "midi" measuring glass).

So that's £5 for what's basically a small glass that has some writing on it :D

DelW

Established Member
So that's £5 for what's basically a small glass that has some writing on it :D
Unfortunately so, but I've never seen any cheaper equivalents of a similar size.

I used to use the little plastic measures that came free with medicines, but they're a bit fiddly since they're only about 30ml capacity and you need several fills each time.

Silver Cobra

Most supermarket music is provided by a company called Mood Media who advertise 'lyric checking' as one of their services, so I'm surprised that slipped through the net. Using there's an expurgated version of a track for store use with the offending lyric either removed in favour of the instrumental track or replaced with something less objectionable.

Back when supermarkets were open 24 hours, I used to shop at stupid o'clock and they would play music that I assumed was chosen by the night team. It was often much louder than in the day too!

Likewise McDonald's will usually play classical music in the evenings, but sometimes when it gets nearer to closing they pump out the hip hop, presumably to help them clean up and get ready to go home (or maybe re-open at a nightclub!).
On the subject of in-store music, Asda has it's own syndicated radio station, Asda Radio (unsurprising name). It's pretty much like your typical Global Media radio station with pseudo-live presenters and the advertising being all based around Asda products or services. You can even listen to it online, if for some reason you want to feel like you're in an Asda store while at home: https://www.radio-uk.co.uk/asda-fm-live (ironically this still goes by it's old name, Asda FM).

I don't know if this is something unique to Asda compared to the other supermarkets. Whenever I hear music playing in Tesco or Morrisons it feels like it's just a playlist on a service like Spotify or Apple Music with the odd in-store advert every now and then.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
On the subject of in-store music, Asda has it's own syndicated radio station, Asda Radio (unsurprising name). It's pretty much like your typical Global Media radio station with pseudo-live presenters and the advertising being all based around Asda products or services. You can even listen to it online, if for some reason you want to feel like you're in an Asda store while at home: https://www.radio-uk.co.uk/asda-fm-live (ironically this still goes by it's old name, Asda FM).

I don't know if this is something unique to Asda compared to the other supermarkets. Whenever I hear music playing in Tesco or Morrisons it feels like it's just a playlist on a service like Spotify or Apple Music with the odd in-store advert every now and then.
I believe that's something that began in the Walmart days, as Sam Walton's powerhouse has had a live radio station since the 1990s.

Co-Op had their own radio station at some point, although I've not been in one that has played music in years, but it must still be running as their shows are uploaded to MixCloud.

londonbridge

Established Member
Back in the analogue satellite days Asda FM was on Sky, it was on one of the audio subcarriers on Sky Movies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I wonder then why a Co-op store that became an Asda Express a few months ago in West Cornwall is now silent, whereas it used to have the C0-op's own radio service. Customers have apparently complained to staff on this and many other aspects of the changeover, which has seen many empty shelves and the removal of many stock lines in favour of poorer grade items. The car park certainly seems less crowded!