• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Surely the case is now much stronger for Bere Alston - Tavistock - Okehampton!

irish_rail

Established Member
Where is this idea coming from of Bere Alston to Plymouth being a slow crawl? The Gunnislake section is for sure, however the rest is former main line.
Indeed the speeds are completely comparable with the Plymouth to Newton Abbot route. 55mph, 50mph, 40mph (for the Tavy viaduct) , 55mph, 40mph (for Bere Ferrers station) , 55mph, then 20mph into the platform at Bere Alston. So not really much slower than the main route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Irascible

Established Member
Have you seen how busy Padstow gets with tourists ?

Yes. How many of them would take the train there, I wonder, given the local amenities aren't as immediate as Newquay et al. I'm sure a number would.

Indeed the speeds are completely comparable with the Plymouth to Newton Abbot route. 55mph, 50mph, 40mph (for the Tavy viaduct) , 55mph, 40mph (for Bere Ferrers station) , 55mph, then 20mph into the platform at Bere Alston. So not really much slower than the main route.

And if that isn't damning with faint praise...

I think it was 60 at most up to Tavistock? haven't seen a route map in a while. Straight it is not.

bramling

Veteran Member
It's not really, beyond Tavistock it was very much a speed restricted route following the contours of the river valley. The double track approach to Plymouth through Ford has been lost under building and the viaducts removed having been closed along with the through line. The Gunnislake trains use a single lead junction to a connection that was originally to allow ammunition trains from the Southern Route to access the dockyard system. This junction conflicts with the single line section over the Albert Bridge on the GWR mainline which has also been lengthened due to a landslip. On the other side the junction is constrained by Weston Mill Viaduct over the dockyard.

If we’re saying that all this is pulling the speed of the Tamar Valley down, then Newton Abbot to Plymouth is no better, as for that matter is the Dawlish sea wall section.

I can get the argument that there probably isn’t a business case for Okehampton to Tavistock, however it’s a stretch to say that it would be a low speed route.

There is of course another former alignment from Tavistock into Plymouth that avoids the Tamar Valley and would allow trains to approach Plymouth from the east.

paul1609

Established Member
If we’re saying that all this is pulling the speed of the Tamar Valley down, then Newton Abbot to Plymouth is no better, as for that matter is the Dawlish sea wall section.

I can get the argument that there probably isn’t a business case for Okehampton to Tavistock, however it’s a stretch to say that it would be a low speed route.

There is of course another former alignment from Tavistock into Plymouth that avoids the Tamar Valley and would allow trains to approach Plymouth from the east.
Isn't it mostly built on in the towns and villages north of Yelverton?

paul1609

Established Member
Nope, the WW2 junction at St. Budeaux was double-track and fully upgraded in 1964 to allow closure of the Southern route through Devonport (King's Rd.) which was regarded as a duplicate route. The Plymouth to Brighton, Waterloo News and Eastleigh through services used it 1964-7, as well as local trains. It was only rationalised when the line to Bere Alston was singled in 1970 and all the signalling on the Gunnislake branch abolished. The single line for the RA Bridge does not start until the north end of St. Budeaux Ferry Road station, well clear of the junction
You're probably right but it doesn't really change the fact that any future Tavistock traffic is going to use a slow speed connection that dives off to the right to drop down to the level of the ex Southern line before passing back under the GWR line the other side of St Bureaux Stns. Any traffic on that line has to cross the main GWR on the level before running the 3 miles in to Plymouth in an area where capacity is at a premium because of the single line crawl over the Royal Albert Bridge. The single line has been extended since 1964 because of the landslip and traffic levels have increased.

zwk500

Veteran Member
You're probably right but it doesn't really change the fact that any future Tavistock traffic is going to use a slow speed connection that dives off to the right to drop down to the level of the ex Southern line before passing back under the GWR line the other side of St Bureaux Stns. Any traffic on that line has to cross the main GWR on the level before running the 3 miles in to Plymouth in an area where capacity is at a premium because of the single line crawl over the Royal Albert Bridge. The single line has been extended since 1964 because of the landslip and traffic levels have increased.
I personally don't see the junction being a particular sticking point - given the proportion of trains terminating at Plymouth from the east and the bridge single line constraining capacity there should be enough room.

I'd be far more concerned about the cost of upgrading the existing sections of Train Staff or One Train in Section working, as any reopened line is going to increase the service beyond the existing capacity. (This is potentially where the current method of project accounting does hinder the railway more than it needs to - if the resignalling of both ends was covered under 'renewals' as are happening in Cornwall then it'd save a big chunk of cost for the reopening to cover, but that's for the other thread).

Veteran Member
I'd be far more concerned about the cost of upgrading the existing sections of Train Staff or One Train in Section working, as any reopened line is going to increase the service beyond the existing capacity.
That's needed at Bere Alston just for Tavistock, so re-opening throughout would "just" require a couple more loops - expensive, but less so than the junction at B.A.

deltic08

On Moderation
This bit is often forgotten or quietly ignored. Just because you re-open a bit of railway, doesn't mean the bits either side are fit for purpose.
But the current speed limits are imposed low speed limits to save on maintenance because the lines are lightly used. They are not maximum possible speeds .40mph was never the speed limit in steam days. It was at least 60mph if not higher in places. If a through route and additional traffic then speed limit would be higher and journey time shorter.

The Planner

Veteran Member
But the current speed limits are imposed low speed limits to save on maintenance because the lines are lightly used. They are not maximum possible speeds .40mph was never the speed limit in steam days. It was at least 60mph if not higher in places. If a through route and additional traffic then speed limit would be higher and journey time shorter.
"in steam days". It will still have a capital cost to get it back up to whatever level it requires to be. So it still needs something doing on the existing network as well as the missing link.

deltic08

On Moderation
"in steam days". It will still have a capital cost to get it back up to whatever level it requires to be. So it still needs something doing on the existing network as well as the missing link.
I don't deny that. I was just pointing out that present day speeds can be increased despite curvature and timings would therefore be reduced obviously.

stevieinselby

Where is this idea coming from of Bere Alston to Plymouth being a slow crawl? The Gunnislake section is for sure, however the rest is former main line.
One thing to note is that for anything other than a class 150 or 153, the entire line from St Budeaux to Bere Alston has a maximum speed limit of 30mph. So if you want to run through services, you have to (a) use knackeredy old trains that are unsuitable for long journeys and will need to be replaced in the near future, (2) run very slowly on that section of the line, or (iii) do some serious work to improve the linespeed for other trains.

Veteran Member
I am sure higher speeds would have been possible on some sections, but the 1960 Sectional Appendix shows a limit of 40mph throughout between Bridestowe and Ford.
AFAIK those limits applied from the 30s (the timetable barely changed): with only one significant through working (the Brighton/Portsmouth-Plymouth) it is hardly surprising that the SR economised on maintenance.

One thing to note is that for anything other than a class 150 or 153, the entire line from St Budeaux to Bere Alston has a maximum speed limit of 30mph. So if you want to run through services, you have to (a) use knackeredy old trains that are unsuitable for long journeys and will need to be replaced in the near future, (2) run very slowly on that section of the line, or (iii) do some serious work to improve the linespeed for other trains.
Or (iv) assess the route for 165/158 - it's unlikely that either has been specifically ruled out for MU speeds.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I don't deny that. I was just pointing out that present day speeds can be increased despite curvature and timings would therefore be reduced obviously.
You need to get the section down to 10 minutes to reliably do 2tph on the single line. That is a big old line speed increase over 18 miles, 110mph.

Veteran Member
You need to get the section down to 10 minutes to reliably do 2tph on the single line. That is a big old line speed increase over 18 miles, 110mph.
But you could manage 3 per 2hr with a 15min journey time, as at present.

I am sure higher speeds would have been possible on some sections, but the 1960 Sectional Appendix shows a limit of 40mph throughout between Bridestowe and Ford.
AFAIK those limits applied from the 30s (the timetable barely changed): with only one significant through working (the Brighton/Portsmouth-Plymouth) it is hardly surprising that the SR economised on maintenance.
Yes the 40mph limit was imposed in the 1920s to reduce maintenance costs as the focus moved to the North Devon line where the SR could compete effectively with the GWR. Prior to this higher speeds were possible - perhaps not the happiest of precedents but here are the timings for the ill-fated boat train involved in the 1906 Salisbury accident from Devonport to Exeter. It was not a special schedule over this part, but the normal express timings for the line. 'T9' No. 288 in charge (which worked as far as Templecombe).

Devonport (K.R.) to Tavistock - booked 50.3mph / actual 45.8
Tavistock to Meldon Jcn - booked 40.9 / actual 43.0
Meldon Jcn to Cowley Jcn - booked 54.5 /actual 58.5

Source: BoT Accident Report
Salisbury 1906

stevieinselby

Or (iv) assess the route for 165/158 - it's unlikely that either has been specifically ruled out for MU speeds.
Most lines where anything post-150 can run at higher speeds are denoted as SP covering anything in the Sprinter, Networker or Turbostar families.
There are plenty of lines with SP speeds that have never seen a Turbostar or Networker, yet those trains are still deemed to be allowed to travel at the higher speed.
This is the only one that I'm aware of that specifies particular classes within that group, which is why I assume that there are more serious issues at play and that it isn't just about ticking a box to get it signed off.

paul1609

Established Member
The issue is that getting the line back to the higher speeds means they have to meet modern criteria. Marshlinks speed limit was 85 in steam days but was reduced to 60 mph max with long stretches at 40 when rationalised. We now have 100 mph DMUs but it took something like 40 years to persuade Network Rail and it's predecessors to remove one 25mph "temporary" restriction. This is on a through line that carries many times the passengers of the likes of the Okehamton reopenings.

Veteran Member
Its not 15 minutes? its 25 minutes from Crediton to Okehampton.
Crossed wires here - I was referring to Bere Alston-St Budeaux, and assumed you were.
I agree - even Coleford Jn to Okehampton would be a challenge for 3tp2h.

Meerkat

Established Member
Considering recent events and climate change what is the likely cost escalation for a twisty line through hilly country once a good look is taken at all the cuttings and embankments?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Considering recent events and climate change what is the likely cost escalation for a twisty line through hilly country once a good look is taken at all the cuttings and embankments?
If building to modern standards I’d look at the impact of HS2 on a relatively flat landscape, and apply all their slope and embankment gradients and trackside drainage standards, you’d probably need a few hundred yards working space either side of the track, and a tunnel under every spoilt view… o_O

zwk500

Veteran Member
If building to modern standards I’d look at the impact of HS2 on a relatively flat landscape, and apply all their slope and embankment gradients and trackside drainage standards, you’d probably need a few hundred yards working space either side of the track, and a tunnel under every spoilt view… o_O
East West Rail will give you a far better idea of what a modern normal-speed railway needs.

Irascible

Established Member
Although EWR is relatively flat & doesn't have a national park in the way...

The Borders line might be a better example, adjusted for inflation. EWR might give a starting point for a Dawlish avoider, although that would be in tunnel a fair bit. HS2 might be a good start for costing a straightened south Devon route given the tunneling & other major civils that'd be needed.