• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Class 458 to be retained

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
TfL three has a review on the 485/4

Generally quite favourable on the seats, especially second class, which they rated higher than first.
I have a soft spot for the 458, living in Feltham for the last 15 years, and the class has had its issues in the past, but nice to see them still going on, despite being written off so many times.

EDIT: Typos
Wow, they've brought second class back, too!

TEW

Established Member
It's going to ramp up to 8 pairs diagrammed over the coming months as more drivers are trained and more units available. I'm not sure when the next diagrams start, not next week.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
It's going to ramp up to 8 pairs diagrammed over the coming months as more drivers are trained and more units available. I'm not sure when the next diagrams start, not next week.
After less than two weeks, there are already four units in service, usually every day (different units am and pm) from an evebntual fleet of 28 (not all yet converted)
Whereas for class 701, after nearly six months in service, only five units have ever been in service from a fleet of 90.

They don't make them like they used to.........................

swr444

After less than two weeks, there are already four units in service, usually every day (different units am and pm) from an evebntual fleet of 28 (not all yet converted)
Whereas for class 701, after nearly six months in service, only five units have ever been in service from a fleet of 90.

They don't make them like they used to.........................
I mean, the units have technically been in service for over 20 years now...so not really a valid comparison

Surreyman

I mean, the units have technically been in service for over 20 years now...so not really a valid comparison
A 10 car unit was used on the Hampton Court branch yesterday, I assume that they have been cleared for this line for many years?

swr444

A 10 car unit was used on the Hampton Court branch yesterday, I assume that they have been cleared for this line for many years?
They’ve been on regular diagrams that way for over a year now. don’t forget the 10 car 2x455+1x456 was used on this route prior to the withdrawal of the 456s