• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR Delay Repay query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldfish62

Established Member
My train arrived at Waterloo yesterday morning very late due to a failed train at Queenstown Road. Late arrival differed according to source:

Public timetable: 58L
RTT: 60L
Reported by guard: 60L

Based on the above should I submit a claim for 30-59min or 60+min?

Ideally of course I'd rather claim for 100% of my fare (especially as I lost an hour's pay for being late) but I'd rather get 50% back than nothing if the higher claim is rejected.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
My train arrived at Waterloo yesterday morning very late due to a failed train at Queenstown Road. Late arrival differed according to source:

Public timetable: 58L
RTT: 60L
Reported by guard: 60L

Based on the above should I submit a claim for 30-59min or 60+min?

Ideally of course I'd rather claim for 100% of my fare (especially as I lost an hour's pay for being late) but I'd rather get 50% back than nothing if the higher claim is rejected.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Very simply, claim for an hour if you believe the arrival was an hour late. SWR can disagree and pay out on less than that if they don't agree. We can get into a string of appeals subsequently, but you need to be aware that they will be using an official and non-public facing source to confirm their decision.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Very simply, claim for an hour if you believe the arrival was an hour late. SWR can disagree and pay out on less than that if they don't agree. We can get into a string of appeals subsequently, but you need to be aware that they will be using an official and non-public facing source to confirm their decision.
It would be interesting to know what that source is, how precise it is and how it is calibrated against UTC.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It would be interesting to know what that source is, how precise it is and how it is calibrated against UTC.
Indeed. The mere fact that it is the railway's "official version of the truth" does not automatically make it correct. There have been numerous cases where claims have been incorrectly rejected. In some cases people have had undeniable evidence, such as a continuous video filmed from when the train doors released until coming into view of a clock, that this is the case.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Indeed. The mere fact that it is the railway's "official version of the truth" does not automatically make it correct. There have been numerous cases where claims have been incorrectly rejected. In some cases people have had undeniable evidence, such as a continuous video filmed from when the train doors released until coming into view of a clock, that this is the case.
But, to put a counter argument forward, with no evidence that the clock is right either.

1955LR

I recently claimed for 29 mins late from West Midland Trains and they paid me the 30 mins + rate . I had carefully timed the door opening time at 29 mins. which was the time on the station board

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But, to put a counter argument forward, with no evidence that the clock is right either.
I hardly think a TOC would be seen as very credible if they tried to argue that the station clock (by which, rightly or wrongly, most trains are dispatched) is wrong yet interpolated data from the signalling system is accurate.

Of course it's exceptionally unlikely any such claim would ever make it to Court.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Many thanks for the sound advice. I'll do that. I certainly won't appeal if they only pay out 50% though.

miklcct

On Moderation
I recently claimed for 29 mins late from West Midland Trains and they paid me the 30 mins + rate . I had carefully timed the door opening time at 29 mins. which was the time on the station board
I recently claimed for a 30-59 minutes late and they paid me over 2 hours - I ended up on a replacement bus one hour then scheduled but it had a clear run on the motorway and went in much earlier than scheduled (a frequent occurrence on this route).

Status
Not open for further replies.