• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR mobile app displaying discounted and undiscounted fares for Disabled Railcard

infobleep

Veteran Member
I saw this on X, formally known as Twitter and found it interesting.

Someone with a disabled rail card is travelling tomorrow from London Waterloo to Southampton. They wanted to know why the Off-Peak Day Return, at £53.10 was more expensive than the Anytime Day Return at £36.15 in the SWR app [South Western Railway mobile app].

So I tested this out and it seems when you select orher fares, the app is listing all the tickets with the discounted fares and them all the tickets with the undiscounted fares.

Here is a screenshot showing all the fares.

Screenshot_20240220_141020_SWR.jpg

I don't have time to list all the details in text form.

I thought disabled rail card holders got a third off all the time, so why display the undiscounted fares?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fandroid

Established Member
I saw this on X, formally known as Twitter and found it interesting.

Someone with a disabled rail card is travelling tomorrow from London Waterloo to Southampton. They wanted to know why the Off-Peak Day Return, at £53.10 was more expensive than the Anytime Day Return at £36.15 in the SWR app [South Western Railway mobile app].

So I tested this out and it seems when you select orher fares, the app is listing all the tickets with the discounted fares and them all the tickets with the undiscounted fares.

Here is a screenshot showing all the fares.

View attachment 152802

I thought disabled rail card holders got a third off all the time, so why display the undiscounted fares?
For some reason, which I don't understand either, they display the undiscounted prices for any Railcard, as well as the discounted prices. And they don't explicitly say that the lower prices are Railcard discounted.

I've got so used to it that I don't question it anymore, but it certainly doesn't make any sense whatsoever, if the appropriate Railcard box has been selected.

kieron

Established Member

Two possibilities I can think of.

1. A railcard may not reduce the ticket price by 1/3 if the ticket permits more than just travel on railways in GB. I don't know if the SWR app will sell it (the GWR site couldn't find any trains when I tried there), but a Bridgwater-West Somerset Railway "away day" ticket costs £35.95 with a disabled railcard and £33.40 without. There are other tickets for which the railcard offers a saving, but only a very small one.

2. It may not be an issue with the disabled railcard, but someone may not feel the savings from using a railcard are worth the loss of flexibility. Particularly if (as above) the saving isn't all that large.

The information should be displayed in a clear way, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to display that particular piece of data.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. Interesting. It certainly could be displayed better.to make it clearer.