• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR showing "no tickets available" on Exeter/Waterloo trains 8 May (GWR strike day)

alastair

After some advice please. I need to travel Exeter/London on 8 May. GWR and XC are both on strike so SWR via Honiton only option. SWR should be operating a near normal service but ticketing websites are not showing their trains and their own website says " no tickets available". Provided trains are showing in RTT a couple of days before travel, am I correct in thinking this is just some ruse by SWR to try and stop these trains getting overloaded and that I can hopefully buy a walk-up ticket (from a TVM if necessary) on the day?
Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
At first I suspected the dreaded (and stupid) compulsory reservations flag but a look on RealTimeTrains seems to dispute this. Anyone any idea what's going on?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
We had a similar thread a few weeks ago...

Is it the same again?

alastair

We had a similar thread a few weeks ago...

Is it the same again?

Thank you, it sounds like a similar thing - possibly the idea is to keep their trains from being swamped and keep some space for people joining at intermediate stations which I suppose is not wholly unreasonable. And of course they don't give a damn how many people travel, they get paid by Dft whatever.

mikeg

Established Member
It appears this time SWR haven't put the reservations compulsory flag on but XC have. :rolleyes:

Possibly your itinerary involved CrossCountry?