• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR to withdraw public access to Guildford Station Footbridge

Meerkat

Established Member
I take it there was more space for them to do this than at Guildford where they had the close the entrance for 2 weeks?
I wouldn’t say so. But shutting the town (and bus station) side of Woking station would be a big deal. The entrances/exits get crowded enough as it is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
I wouldn’t say so. But shutting the town (and bus station) side of Woking station would be a big deal. The entrances/exits get crowded enough as it is.
It is possible they had less pavement works needed compared to Guildford. Also the area inside the booking hall is bigger than the back of Guildford station.

I'm just trying to understand the differences that led to the diffeerent approaches.

Oldgaloot

Someone commented that space might be needed to replace the ticket machines. If you magnify the new pic you can see the machines aren't all that huge unless they're very deep into the wall at the back. Think of the cash machines in your local building society. They're not huge.

The problem is that if you want to run over a significant number of people in one go you'd just drive at the bus queue on the opposite side of Guildford Park Road which is often quite long with people travelling up to the hospital. I do remember the attack on Glasgow Airport in 2010. It was pretty horrific in its planning and execution. Maybe Network Rail has been advised of a specific threat, but as someone said the gap is large enough to drive a truck through, so what's the point of what's been done?

I must say that when I walk acros Waterloo Bridge I feel reassured by the lumps of concrete keeping vehicles safely off the pavement!

Meerkat

Established Member
It is possible they had less pavement works needed compared to Guildford. Also the area inside the booking hall is bigger than the back of Guildford station.

I'm just trying to understand the differences that led to the diffeerent approaches.
Its a fair point that Woking opens onto a wider pavement with no through traffic, and then a semi pedestrianised road. Not a narrow pavement onto a busy road that doesn't allow for mucking about much where people come in and leave.