• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWR to withdraw public access to Guildford Station Footbridge

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
These will become a collectors item then! Didn't keep these as was crossing the bridge, took a photo for the record though glad I did!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1709420264426.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709420264426.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 214

infobleep

Veteran Member
These will become a collectors item then! Didn't keep these as was crossing the bridge, took a photo for the record though glad I did!
I don't remember those ones but I do have one or two of the thinner ones. I aquired them when they weren't collected for some reason. I think they were handed out but no one was at the back entrance to collect them.

boiledbeans2

Are they now issuing bridge passes again? Right before the footbridge closure to non-passengers, it was just a verbal 'agreement' to get across the bridge.

Meerkat

Established Member
If they want to make this permanent, either a separate footbridge should be constructed or the council should rework the pavement down Guildford Park Road/Farnham Road Bridge and around the corner of the Gyratory, it simply isn't suitable for large masses or those with accessibility needs. I've seen plenty of people slip down that steep pavement on the Gyratory corner. Imo, a dream solution would be a wholly accessible and separate footbridge just alongside the current footbridge, but I know that's not possible given the financial situation recently.
Pretty sure that there is no provision for a public footbridge in the new station they are building. From what I remember of looking at the plans weeks ago the ‘Great Wall of Guildford’ has blocked that opportunity off.

Oldgaloot

I do have one or two of the thinner ones

When were they given out, please? I ask because SWR are basing computations of lost revenue on bridge passes that went missing in November 2022. Their website on 30 October last year said:

"A study commissioned by SWR in November 2022 found that almost 2,000 bridge passes went missing in just 25 days. It is estimated that improper use of the bridge passes has led to hundreds of thousands of pounds being lost through fare evasion."

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Are they now issuing bridge passes again? Right before the footbridge closure to non-passengers, it was just a verbal 'agreement' to get across the bridge.

Don't know when they stopped it wasn't aware they did, but this was only a couple if years ago maybe that was the last time?

infobleep

Veteran Member
When were they given out, please? I ask because SWR are basing computations of lost revenue on bridge passes that went missing in November 2022. Their website on 30 October last year said:

"A study commissioned by SWR in November 2022 found that almost 2,000 bridge passes went missing in just 25 days. It is estimated that improper use of the bridge passes has led to hundreds of thousands of pounds being lost through fare evasion."
Probably pre-covid but I can't remember for sure. They might even be South West Trains ones.

Another friend had some too and I know he wasn't a fare dodger.

They were different colours. I think I have got a red one and a blue one. Most of the time they would have been collected. It wasn't that often they weren't but it happened.

Recessio

Doesn't alterations to the agreement have to be approved either by Guildford BC/Surrey CC, or by application to the land tribunal though? Would they really roll over and let it happen if it's going to cause issues with pedestrian safety in Guildford?

Wolfie

Established Member
Doesn't alterations to the agreement have to be approved either by Guildford BC/Surrey CC, or by application to the land tribunal though? Would they really roll over and let it happen if it's going to cause issues with pedestrian safety in Guildford?
The devil is always in the detail but the Sheffield precedent is an interesting comparison.

duffield

Established Member
The devil is always in the detail but the Sheffield precedent is an interesting comparison.
Sheffield's footbridge is a registered public footpath, a public right of way; Guildford footbridge isn't as far as I can see from the comments here, so I don't see the precedent.

Wolfie

Established Member
What is the Sheffield precedent, sorry?
EMR trying to cease public access to footbridge over Sheffield station was blocked by the local council. However l'm not sure of the full details hence my reticence to go further.

tspaul26

Established Member
None of the county council’s business.

As far as the district council is concerned, if they won’t approve it then it goes off to the government on appeal.

Either way, Surrey can sling its hook.

Wolfie

Established Member
None of the county council’s business.

As far as the district council is concerned, if they won’t approve it then it goes off to the government on appeal.

Either way, Surrey can sling its hook.
Re your last sentence that is exactly the sort of attitude that results in lost judicial reviews.

tspaul26

Established Member
Re your last sentence that is exactly the sort of attitude that results in lost judicial reviews.
But the county council has no role or jurisdiction in the matter. That is the fundamental reality of the situation.

Recessio

But the county council has no role or jurisdiction in the matter. That is the fundamental reality of the situation.
Thanks for clarifying this. I wasn't sure if the agreement between BRB was with Guildford BC or Surrey CC, which is why I mentioned both.

I meant whichever one the agreement was with, I was not suggesting that the other one could just step in to the decision if it wasn't subject to the original agreement with BRB when the station was built.

Wolfie

Established Member
Ah, ok. That makes much more sense, apologies if l misunderstood a slightly unclear post.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I felt I don't see many fare dogers but tonight there was one person claiming they dropped their ticket and they would have to let them though. The person did.

Behind them was someone talking to other staff saying they lost their card. I don't know what it was about so it may not be related to no rail card or ticket but I mention it all the same as it might have been.

I guess the interesting thing will be if this reduced during the trail. If it didn't then it may not help.

DelW

Established Member
Surrey Live is reporting that the west (Guildford Park Road) entrance will be closed for two weeks at the beginning of April for installation of vehicle bollards. These are presumably located along the kerbside as it says there will also be single lane traffic with signals.

It's a Reach site, so be prepared for all the usual adverts, pop-ups etc.
One of the entrances to Guildford Railway station will be closed to passengers for two weeks as safety measures are installed. The plans mean the Park Road way in will be inaccessible at the beginning of next month.

From April 2nd until April 14th work,will be taking place to install Hostile Vehicle Mitigation barriers which will prevent cars from driving into Guildford Station.

Recessio

Surrey Live is reporting that the west (Guildford Park Road) entrance will be closed for two weeks at the beginning of April for installation of vehicle bollards. These are presumably located along the kerbside as it says there will also be single lane traffic with signals.

I was wondering if this was being done by Surrey Council, National Highways or Network Rail. I just checked on Surrey Councils map of roadworks, it appears to be Network Rail Infrastructure Limited that are responsible for the closure and works: https://one.network/?GB137534560

Seems a shame they couldn't have coincided this with SWR's trial closure of the bridge though.

Oldgaloot

This is going to mean even more people going up and down the narrow pavement over the Farnham Road bridge than used it during the trial closure to pedestrians.

My understanding is that SWR promised "strong comms" and engagement with the local community concerning the trial closure and its results. Still waiting.........

fandroid

Established Member
If there was any hint of it being a public right of way then Surrey County Council, as Highway Authority would have an interest. That still might be a possibility if anyone dug out any historic record that implied such a thing. It can't be deemed a right of way due to uninterrupted use as the whole bridge permit thing shows that crossing the bridge was with the railways' permission.

Fazaar1889

"Hostile Vehicle Mitigation barriers"

They mean bollards??? What kind of language is that?? Feels biased imo.

DelW

Established Member

That was my translation too ...

I've known and used that station entrance on and off for over fifty years, and I'm not aware of a single instance of attempted vehicle intrusion there in all that time.

Of course it may make sense to pre-empt such a possibility, but bearing in mind that the entrance includes a flight of steps, and it's a long way from the actual railway tracks, it does seem that a fairly remote possibility is being guarded against.

A conspiracy theorist might point out that the current government is promoting the view that "mob rule" and extremism is widespread, and only they are guarding against it. I doubt that has anything to do with the proposed work here, but overall it might be a small part of the same message.

Recessio

Given the speeds at which some yobbos shoot up the road, bollards are welcome to me. I wonder if it's also designed to counter people doing "dump and runs" which might hold up traffic.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I was wondering if this was being done by Surrey Council, National Highways or Network Rail. I just checked on Surrey Councils map of roadworks, it appears to be Network Rail Infrastructure Limited that are responsible for the closure and works: https://one.network/?GB137534560

Seems a shame they couldn't have coincided this with SWR's trial closure of the bridge though.
Or South Western Railway could have coincided the pedestrian closure with the NR works, which I would have thought would have been easier to sort.

There is a post on Facebook about this by one of the local councilors, Angela Goodwin. It includes a map of the official diversion.
IMPORTANT NEWS
Please see below for a message from Network Rail in regards to the upcoming closure of the Guildford Park Road entrance at the station.

Do share as appropriate - thank you!

Angela

——————

Dear Stakeholders,

Railway Improvement – Vehicle mitigation measures to be installed outside Guildford Park Road Entrance
This is to inform you that as part of our continued effort to increase the safety for our passengers, we’ll be installing some Hostile Vehicle Mitigation (HVM) barriers to prevent vehicles driving into Guildford station.

The works are planned to take two weeks starting on 2 April 2024 to 14 April from 8am to 8pm.

This work is being carried out as a regional program to increase the safety for our passengers as they use our stations.

What does the work involve?
The works will involve digging of shallow foundations to install the steelworks and the bollards. Due to the nature of this activity, this will involve the use of heavy machinery to break into the ground which will be noisy. To carry out the works in a safe manner, we’ve been working with the local authority for a traffic management plan. Traffic will be restricted to single lane flow, controlled by traffic lights along the Guildford Park Road for the duration of the works.

Along with this, to ensure that all passengers, our teams, and construction works are kept safe, the station entrance on Guildford Park Road will be closed during this period.

This will mean that all users of Guildford station will require to use the main entrance and follow the diversion route as shown in the map attached.

To complete the works within the time frame, we will be working between the hours of 8am and 8pm, weekdays and there will be some reduced hours working over the weekend.

If you have any questions about these works, please feel free to get in contact at any time.

*See below for a picture of the diversionary route for passengers / residents.
Here is a screenshot of the post
Screenshot_20240314_002204_Facebook.jpg

Meerkat

Established Member

bollards implies just traffic issues. HVM is to stop vehicles being deliberately driven into groups of pedestrians. Like the letters at Arsenal's stadium's, and all the stuff going on on London's bridges now.

Bigfoot

bollards implies just traffic issues. HVM is to stop vehicles being deliberately driven into groups of pedestrians. Like the letters at Arsenal's stadium's, and all the stuff going on on London's bridges now.
Exactly this. So many places and buildings have them already without people even knowing their real purpose and underlying strength. A YouTube search for vehicle bollard test or similar will throw up results of just how resilient they are.