• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Advance Fares Bristol

Status
Not open for further replies.

abn444

Does anyone know what has happened to the South West Trains advance fares from Bristol? I have had a look on National Rail and there doesn't appear to be any available, even on the last day that is available from the menu. It's the same story with the SWT and GWR websites however, if I go on TrainSplit they do appear to be there, even for the date I was looking at.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Romilly

Established Member
NRE is showing the South West Trains promotional day fares, e.g. £14 one-way for Bristol-Waterloo via Salisbury on 16th February. Can they be booked only from the SWT website?

abn444

I was looking at fares to Walton-on-Thames from Temple Meads and it was only giving me the anytime single for that train. Anyway, what seems to be happening is that the advance fares are still available to Woking like before so I can get it cheaper by split ticketing. Before though, NRE (and the TOC websites) would have had the fare all the way through to Walton but now though they don't seem to be doing that.

Romilly

Established Member
Are you travelling out and back the same day? If so, the super offpeak day return for Bristol Temple Meads to Walton-on-Thames at £37 "via Salisbury/Warminster" would only be £2 more than two £14 promotional Bristol-Woking tickets and a £7 Woking-Walton return, and would give greater flexibility. On a weekday it is valid on the 0851 and later departures from Bristol.

And on the Virgin Trains East Coast journey planner I am offered Advances for Bristol-Walton via Salisbury but at £21.20 each way for e.g. 16th February.

Last edited:

abn444

Are you travelling out and back the same day? If so, the super offpeak day return for Bristol Temple Meads to Walton-on-Thames at £37 "via Salisbury/Warminster" would only be £2 more than two £14 promotional Bristol-Woking tickets and a £7 Woking-Walton return, and would give greater flexibility. On a weekday it is valid on the 0851 and later departures from Bristol.

And on the Virgin Trains East Coast journey planner I am offered Advances for Bristol-Walton via Salisbury but at £21.20 each way for e.g. 16th February.

Thanks for looking. I'm not coming back until January. Anyway what I did in the end was got a first class advance from Bristol to Woking and then got an ordinary single from Woking to Walton. As a result I was able to get 1st class for most of the journey and it was still £6.50 cheaper (it was £17.55 in total for the two tickets I think including my railcard discount) than the single that was being offered through to Walton and that would have been standard class all the way. I could have gone for 1st class for the Woking to Walton part as well and it still would have been cheaper, but I didn't really think it was worth the extra money for an extra 10 minutes of 1st class. What I wonder though is why it wasn't offering me those tickets all the way to Walton when I was able to do it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.