• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Class 159 and 170's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Hi Everyone,

I have an interest in SWT models and wanted to purchase some, the two that seem to be around at the moment are 159's and 170's...however I can't find OO gauge of these anywhere...! Can anyone recommend a place to buy these (preferably online!)

I've checked eBay and there's only 1 N-Gauge 170 on there at the moment.

On a second note...does anyone know when we might expect some of the newer classes released as models, such as Class 450/444/455 in SWT livery?

Many thanks for any recommendations :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
A quick browse around the internet suggests that people are keeping tight hold of their SWT liveried models, with none seemingly up for sale at the moment.

You may well already know this, but it is Bachmann who produce the SWT liveried class 159 and 170 models in 00 gauge, and neither item is part of the current range: If it helps, the two carriage SWT 170 they produced was product code 32-452, and the 159 (number 159016) was 31-514, which confusingly seems to be the same product code that Bachmann uses for their current Northern Rail 158.

You’ll just have to keep browsing around for second hand models coming onto the market I think. Rails of Sheffield (http://railsofsheffield.com/manufacturer/jjp0-jjm3-jjs0-jjc1.aspx) and Hattons (http://www.hattons.co.uk/products/category-bachmann-branchline-locos-and-multiple-units-00-scale) are very good for internet purchases, and Rails of Sheffield also do a lot of selling, especially of good quality second hand items, through Ebay.

As concerns other SWT models, I think that the 450 Desiro is a distinct possibility in the near future, as Bachmann already produce the aesthetically similar AC electric Class 350. Perhaps they’re waiting to reap the rewards of selling a few more of their new CEP and EPB slammers, and assess the size of the market, before they bring out a newer third rail unit in the form of the 450.

As for the 444 and the 455, these would require completely new tooling, so I think that there’s little chance of these being made any time soon.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Many thanks for your very detailed reply Sprinterguy :D

I did manage to get hold of an N-Gauge SWT 2 car class 170 from eBay, but that's all! I suppose people are holding onto them if they aren't in production anymore as they become more valuable collectables.

I have a feeling that waiting for a Class 450 model will be VERY long...as even the LM Class 350 only seems to have a release date of Jan 2012, and that's from the current range if I'm not mistaken!

I agree with the point about new tooling being needed for the other classes, I suppose that was just a dream anyway, I'm not expecting 444 or 455 to be released but it'd be nice if they ever were! :D

GearJammer

Don't forget that hornby are releasing there 4VEP soon (so they keep telling us anyway) initially in NSE livery but i don't expect it'll be very long before they release it in SWT livery! ;)

sprinterguy

Established Member
I have a feeling that waiting for a Class 450 model will be VERY long...as even the LM Class 350 only seems to have a release date of Jan 2012, and that's from the current range if I'm not mistaken!
:shock: Is the 350 still not on the shelves? Now that I think about it I haven't seen any when I'm browsing model shops. Bachmann seem to have an unsurpassed ability to delay the release of new models!

Third rail units aren't usually my thing, but I have to say that the 444 is a fine train and I'd quite like to see a model of one. Maybe one day.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
:shock: Is the 350 still not on the shelves? Now that I think about it I haven't seen any when I'm browsing model shops. Bachmann seem to have an unsurpassed ability to delay the release of new models!

Third rail units aren't usually my thing, but I have to say that the 444 is a fine train and I'd quite like to see a model of one. Maybe one day.

No, it's still not on the shelves :( Otherwise I would have bought one, as I really want at least one Desiro model, it is available to pre-order online but some don't give release dates and one quotes Jan 2012 as I said above :shock:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Don't forget that hornby are releasing there 4VEP soon (so they keep telling us anyway) initially in NSE livery but i don't expect it'll be very long before they release it in SWT livery! ;)

Thanks for this, but I am somewhat only a fan of the most modern classes of train. The 159 is just about the oldest I would considering getting :lol:

sprinterguy

Established Member
I’ve thought about it a bit, and a class 455/7 in model form would actually be a fairly cheap win for Bachmann that would require minimal work to produce: The 455/7s are exceptionally similar in appearance to the 150/2s which Bachmann already make, so with some alterations and additions to the detailing this would be a fairly easy conversion IMO. To be honest, I’m surprised that we aren’t hearing of more developments of models of the various mark 3 bodyshell based EMUs, given how standard the main bodyshell is for 150s, 317s, 318s, 319s and 321s alike.

Hi.

Yes the Bachmann SWT 159 is very rare indeed. I have two of them and want more. Yet they now sell for £150-180 on eBay. What i think is a little steep. But good luck! They appear about once a fortnight on there.
The Bachmann 170 on the other hand are pretty common on eBay. Reaching about £50-60. They pop up about once a week.

I dont see the Bachmann 450 as a production run ever! Though as a limited edition i certainly do see it. Why? Well Bachmann did not sell the 159 when it was orginally out, it is famously a slow seller and they are wary of another SWT model run. But i certainly see an outfit, such as Modelzone, taking the risk and commissioning 512 450s.

Best bet is we all start emailing Bachmann, begging for more Class 159s and pointing out how much they are going for on eBay to them. I have!

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Hi.

Yes the Bachmann SWT 159 is very rare indeed. I have two of them and want more. Yet they now sell for £150-180 on eBay. What i think is a little steep. But good luck! They appear about once a fortnight on there.
The Bachmann 170 on the other hand are pretty common on eBay. Reaching about £50-60. They pop up about once a week.

I dont see the Bachmann 450 as a production run ever! Though as a limited edition i certainly do see it. Why? Well Bachmann did not sell the 159 when it was orginally out, it is famously a slow seller and they are wary of another SWT model run. But i certainly see an outfit, such as Modelzone, taking the risk and commissioning 512 450s.

Best bet is we all start emailing Bachmann, begging for more Class 159s and pointing out how much they are going for on eBay to them. I have!

Thanks for your input 159220, I've noticed the same as you, that Class 159's are rare on eBay in SWT livery and they reach very high prices!

I hope that what you say will happen, if Modelzone did some 450's that'd be fantastic, I have one of those shops near me too so an added bonus, I'd pay dearly for one lol.

I don't see why Bachmann or even Graham Farish won't produce more! Surely it is profit making for them, so if there is demand then why can't they supply to meet that demand, it'd be much easier if people could order directly through them rather than have to go through dealers (but then that's a completely new point not related to this thread!)

Why do they also not sell extra carriages?! I would love to buy some if they were available.

Most other TOC's have a decent number of models released of their classes, so in that respect I think SWT are a bit underproduced and left out :(

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Bachmann SWT livery 159 and 170 do appear on ebay from time to time. AFAIK Bachmann did two numbers for the 170 and they have done three models of 159s, NSE (159001 City of Exeter), Stagecoach (159009) and SWT (159016).

The 455 is available in OO as a kit from Bratchell Models (they even supply kits pre-painted these days, although possibly not in SWT livery), although they are a touch pricey, do not include motors and are not entirely accurate (they're still quite good though). If you pay them they'll build it for you, but without the motors.

GearJammer

Surely the problem with the 159's (ive got NSE 159001) is they generally only work the Waterloo - Exeter route, the 450's work over a larger area so should be of more appeal to people than the 159's.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Surely the problem with the 159's (ive got NSE 159001) is they generally only work the Waterloo - Exeter route, the 450's work over a larger area so should be of more appeal to people than the 159's.

Yes, but 450's were only introduced about 7-8 years ago, whilst 159's have been used for quite some time longer by SWT, so naturally 159 models were the first to be released.

I definitely think 450 models would appeal to quite a few people, but they might be next in line after Class 350's with having a similar design, hopefully we'll see them in the next few years! ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Bachmann SWT livery 159 and 170 do appear on ebay from time to time. AFAIK Bachmann did two numbers for the 170 and they have done three models of 159s, NSE (159001 City of Exeter), Stagecoach (159009) and SWT (159016).

The 455 is available in OO as a kit from Bratchell Models (they even supply kits pre-painted these days, although possibly not in SWT livery), although they are a touch pricey, do not include motors and are not entirely accurate (they're still quite good though). If you pay them they'll build it for you, but without the motors.

Thanks for that info, I had a look at Bratchell's site and it seems they don't do the SWT livery yet, maybe in the future though!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
To be fair, I think the 159 models only came about because they are very similar (near identical infact) to the popular 158 DMU. The EMU market has been slow to get going and thus the 350 will test the market for modern image layouts. If successful, I'm sure the 450 would be quite likely to follow.

BestWestern

Established Member
With the recent increase in mass-market third rail EMU models, I wonder how long it might before Peco or Hornby consider offering ready-made DC track lengths, with the third rail already clipped into place. That would be very handy indeed!

So long as Bachmann still possess the toolings for a 158/159 centre car, presumably a second run of a 159 is a fairly simple job? Particularly as they have already reproduced the SWT livery on the previous model. And presumably there will be an EMT 158 before long, with a very similar livery, which would provide even more encouragement!

On a slightly diferent note, does anybody do a current-livery FGW West unit? (not the Hornby 142). I've never been able to find anything, which I presume is down to the miniscule lettering on the 'Local Lines' livery probably being a nightmare to reproduce? Though I would imagine there might be 150/1 sometime soon in their new plain blue colours.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
No, Hornby and Bachmann have both said the First Group livery is too complex because of the changing blue along the side (the 166 doesn't have this), however Bratchell models have released the FCC 319, so I'm not convinced this is quite true.

No, Hornby and Bachmann have both said the First Group livery is too complex because of the changing blue along the side (the 166 doesn't have this), however Bratchell models have released the FCC 319, so I'm not convinced this is quite true.

Agreed. It cant be true, as if it were too complex the wonderful new company RealTrack Models wouldnt be producing a Class 143 Pacer in First Great Western "Local Lines" in 2012.

Check out the link: http://www.realtrackmodels.co.uk/DMU.htm

Also Electragraphics does a easy to apply overlay in First Great Western "Local lines".

Check out the link: http://www.warr.biz/erg/OO 158 FGW 1.jpg

sprinterguy

Established Member
Wow; first time I’ve seen pictures of the pre-production Realtrack class 143/144 models. They are really going to put the Hornby 142 in the shade in terms of detail and accuracy. The £100 price tag is a bit pricey, but not out of line with some of the current DMU releases from Honrby and Bachmann. I’ll be waiting until they do the older liveries before I buy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.