• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Class 458/0 original diagrams to Alton (circa 2000)

RacsoMoquette

Hello all, recently I purchased twelve RAIL magazines from 1999 to 2000. I quickly realised that only two four car Class 458s were operational daily for a twelve month period, these comprised of 8005 and 8006 (often coupled to form an eight car train) they only operated Alton diagrams off peak, however in early 2001 when more units became available, they started operating peak diagrams aswell. When exactly did the Class 458/0s transfer to the Reading Line were they were confined to for the next thirteen years? Was it when the Desiro units entered service? Did the Class 458/0 operate any other SWT long distance route, such as to Basingstoke or Southampton?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When exactly did the Class 458/0s transfer to the Reading Line were they were confined to for the next thirteen years?
The 458s gradually took over all diagrams on the Waterloo to Reading line from slam door rolling stock between September 2002 and May 2003.

There was then a run down to almost nothing during 2005 and 2006 as sufficient Desiros became available. For a fairly long period at the end of 2006 there were diagrams for three pairs and about a week when the Reading line was 100% 450. Then during the first half of 2007, at the change of franchise that removed the 442s from SWT, they were reintroduced and once again took over all diagrams.

Did the Class 458/0 operate any other SWT long distance route, such as to Basingstoke or Southampton?
They operated mainline services to Alton, Guildford via Woking and Basingstoke before use on the Reading line. One particular issue on the Reading line was waiting for platform extensions at Earley and Winnersh, together with the gangway issue. The 458s also worked Guildford to Ascot services during 2001.

Last edited:
I am going to check for you, as I completed their introduction......... until went to desire introduction
originally you were right with 8005 and 8006 being the first units, and then we raised it to 6 units with 4 in service and another two spare. the unit were 8005/8006; 8011/15 and 8007/13. for the first operating periods, they stayed in fixed formation, only running around themselves to ensure all cabs were tested and driven from. oNly when they became more reliable we started to swap around.

first unit to reading was a 4-car with 8026 - date tbc and was the 15:24 from Waterloo (from what I can remember.)

re long routes: we used to have a Haslemere service