• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SWT Smart closes the London gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdickinson

The SWT Smart ITSO smartcard scheme has been expanded to cover the gap between its coverage area and the London Zones.

http://swtsmart.co.uk/

The new lines covered are:

Staines to Ashford

Shepperton to Kempton Park

Weybridge and West Byfleet to Virginia Water

Earley to Wokingham

Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon to Hinchley Wood

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Does it already cover Weybridge to Esher? Also, I can't help thinking it would have been more logical to get Shepperton added to Oyster.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does it already cover Weybridge to Esher? Also, I can't help thinking it would have been more logical to get Shepperton added to Oyster.
Never understood why Hampton Court is part of the zones but Shepperton isn't. Hampton Court wasn't in the zones originally I believe.

According to the map, if travelling from Wanborough you can use the smart card for your travel. If travelling from Guildford, only if you are traveling to a London terminal and if travelling from London Road (Guildford) it's not available at all.

Does every station have a smart card reader yet?
Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mattdickinson

Never understood why Hampton Court is part of the zones but Shepperton isn't. Hampton Court wasn't in the zones originally I believe.

According to the map, if travelling from Wanborough you can use the smart card for your travel. If travelling from Guildford, only if you are traveling to a London terminal and if travelling from London Road (Guildford) it's not available at all.

The London Terminals availability is an add-on to the basic area, so Guildford has validity to all other stations with red or yellow dots.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

To the best of my knowledge they do, the entire SWT network was fitted in the same project.

Even all those stations in South Hants which are still excluded (as shown on the diagram) have had readers ever since they first generally appeared.

fandroid

Established Member
Is there any advantage from having one if I don't have a season ticket? I already have an Oyster card. They say you can load Stagecoach bus tickets on it, but I only occasionally have to pay on their buses and from what I have seen, smartcard users on the buses are those with ( bus) seasons.

infobleep

Veteran Member
To the best of my knowledge they do, the entire SWT network was fitted in the same project.

Even all those stations in South Hants which are still excluded (as shown on the diagram) have had readers ever since they first generally appeared.
Given that's the case, what is the reason not all stations have smart tickets? Are there back office systems that need to be created or updated before that can happen? After all the readers have been around for ages.

Muzer

Established Member
No real reason to have them still, is there? I couldn't use mine on buses, but I got mine quite early on in the history of the scheme. I assume there are still no smartcard-specific promotions, and the only thing they give you is fewer rights and less validity?

transmanche

Established Member
Never understood why Hampton Court is part of the zones but Shepperton isn't.
Hampton Court station is quite literally a stone's throw from the Greater London boundary - about 50 metres. Shepperton station is the best part of four miles (by rail) beyond the boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.