• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

T3 sign between rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelem

Some new signs have recently appeared between the rails at the buffer end of some platforms at Brighton station, pointed towards the driver. They are low and wide, have "T3" written in a box at the far left, and the remainder of the sign is black/yellow diagonal stripes.

Does anyone know what they are for, or what T3 signifies?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thelem

Thanks, I guess that makes sense. Would the same apply for longer trains made up of 3-car trains, or would it not matter because it would be under the rear train and not the front train. I'm thinking specifically of 12-car 377s make up of 377/3s

O L Leigh

Established Member
Westcoaster: As a fellow driver I would never normally doubt your answers, especially as you know Brighton and I don't, but I'm afraid your answer doesn't quite stack up.

Firstly, I have yet to visit a terminus station where the platform lines have AWS for the platform starter signal. If the reason for these boards is due to the positioning of 3 car units, the problem is more likely to be down to the TPWS overspeed loops on approach to the buffer stops. As you know, these are always live. Positioning therefore becomes more critical because you will get a persistent TPWS fault if you attempt to liven-up the desk where the receiver is over a live set of loops. The only way to remedy this fault is to move the train. We have the same problem on P3 at Chingford, so the powers-that-be installed an "S Car Stop" board on one of the canopy supports so that the London-end cab didn't get parked on top of the TPWS loops. This being so, I don't understand why Southern didn't install a "3 Car Stop" board of the usual type either on a conveniently located post or screwed onto the sleepers.

The reason for my confusion is that "T3" is usually a reference to taking a line under possession for engineering works.

O L Leigh

westcoaster

Established Member
Westcoaster: As a fellow driver I would never normally doubt your answers, especially as you know Brighton and I don't, but I'm afraid your answer doesn't quite stack up.

Firstly, I have yet to visit a terminus station where the platform lines have AWS for the platform starter signal. If the reason for these boards is due to the positioning of 3 car units, the problem is more likely to be down to the TPWS overspeed loops on approach to the buffer stops. As you know, these are always live. Positioning therefore becomes more critical because you will get a persistent TPWS fault if you attempt to liven-up the desk where the receiver is over a live set of loops. The only way to remedy this fault is to move the train. We have the same problem on P3 at Chingford, so the powers-that-be installed an "S Car Stop" board on one of the canopy supports so that the London-end cab didn't get parked on top of the TPWS loops. This being so, I don't understand why Southern didn't install a "3 Car Stop" board of the usual type either on a conveniently located post or screwed onto the sleepers.

The reason for my confusion is that "T3" is usually a reference to taking a line under possession for engineering works.

O L Leigh

makes more sense about the tpws grids, just looked in the won and nothing mentioned in there, when im next in work ill have another look, and post back.

westcoaster

Established Member
had a look at work and the notice, says it is there to stop trains stopping over magnets, but this is probley an error.

O L Leigh

Established Member
I expect so too.

As before, I expect the reason is the TPWS overspeed loops. This is probably what the person writing the notice meant also but couldn't remember the word. Not surprising really when one considers how often you hear them referred to as TPWS magnets.

Thanks for taking the time to double-check, though.

O L Leigh

TDK

Established Member
I expect so too.

As before, I expect the reason is the TPWS overspeed loops. This is probably what the person writing the notice meant also but couldn't remember the word. Not surprising really when one considers how often you hear them referred to as TPWS magnets.

Thanks for taking the time to double-check, though.

O L Leigh

O Leigh is correct, TPWS arming and trigger sensors is the reason for the amended car stopmarkers.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You will also see these new signs at other locations - Norwood Junction and Purley a couple of examples I can think of - in platforms where, say, a train could terminate in what is normally a through road, but would need to stop in a different position to a train not terminating, so that the driver's cab at the other end is in a suitable position for DOO monitors, signal sighting, not sitting over AWS magnets/TPWS grids etc.

I remember a driver who took a train out of service because he had stopped over a magnet and it caused a "fault". He did not know of this and failed the train after 20 minutes of running to hope thefault self-rectified, only to find when he changed ends to access a depot that the fault was gone!

He admitted that even with 15 years service as a driver he did not know about it!

Status
Not open for further replies.