• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Talgo AVRIL

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HS2isgood

May at the earliest

Galicia and Asturias services will get gradually adjusted, ending at

Galicia:
4 AVE Madrid-Coruña, 106. Chamartín , Zamora, Ourense, Santiago, Coruña. Change for faster Ferrol than direct.
1 Avlo Madrid-Coruña, 106. All HSR stops to Santiago, then Coruña.
2 AVE Madrid-Vigo, 106. Chamartín, Zamora, Ourense, Pontevedra, Vigo (Urzaiz).
2 AVE Madrid-Vigo via Santiago, 106. Chamartín, Zamora, Ourense, Santiago, Vilagarcía on 1 of them, Pontevedra, Vigo (Urzaiz).
1 AVLO Madrid-Vigo via Santiago. 106. All HSR stops to Santiago, Vilagarcía, Pontevedra, Vigo (Urzaiz).
1 Alvia to Ferrol, vía Lugo!!!!! 730. All HSR stops to Ourense, then Monforte, Sarria, Lugo, Baamonde, Guitiriz, Curtis, Betanzos Cidade, Pontedeume, Ferrol. Just change at Coruña from an AVE for a reasonable journey time to Ferrol!

Asturias:
2 AVE Madrid-Gijón. 106. Stops Valladolid, León, Oviedo.
1 Avlo Madrid-Gijón, 106. Stops Valladolid, Palencia, León, Pola, Mieres, Oviedo.
2 Alvia Madrid-Gijón, 130. Same as the Avlo, plus Segovia.
1 Alvia Madrid-Avilés, 130. Same except that after Oviedo it continues to Avilés and not Gijón.

Terrible timetable lol

nwales58

… gradually adjusted, ending at

Galicia:
4 AVE Madrid-Coruña, 106. Chamartín , Zamora, Ourense, Santiago, Coruña. Change for faster Ferrol than direct.
So this is the start of small places only being served by Avlo, which was sort-of announced last year but didn’t seem to happen.

Continuing the Lugo to Ferrol is hilarious, presumably to avoid politicians getting upset at Ferrol losing its through setvices.

Has this now entered service, or June TT change?
Renfe changes whenever they want, preceded by not being able to book more than a few weeks ahead frustration.

HS2isgood

So this is the start of small places only being served by Avlo, which was sort-of announced last year but didn’t seem to happen.

Continuing the Lugo to Ferrol is hilarious, presumably to avoid politicians getting upset at Ferrol losing its through setvices.

Renfe changes whenever they want, preceded by not being able to book more than a few weeks ahead frustration.
Yeah the Ferrol train will be empty beyond Lugo (it's already empty after Ourense, as Lugo isn't a strong traffic generator). Lugo has like 50-90 passengers per day in the direct trains. Plus whatever the connections add.

Changes will be gradual, no service increases will start before August because of works at Chamartín. However, if 106s are ready, they'll replace 130s in some services.

Austriantrain

Established Member
May at the earliest

Galicia:
2 AVE Madrid-Vigo via Santiago, 106. Chamartín, Zamora, Ourense, Santiago, Vilagarcía on 1 of them, Pontevedra, Vigo (Urzaiz).
1 AVLO Madrid-Vigo via Santiago. 106. All HSR stops to Santiago, Vilagarcía, Pontevedra, Vigo (Urzaiz).
1 Alvia to Ferrol, vía Lugo!!!!! 730. All HSR stops to Ourense, then Monforte, Sarria, Lugo, Baamonde, Guitiriz, Curtis, Betanzos Cidade, Pontedeume, Ferrol. Just change at Coruña from an AVE for a reasonable journey time to Ferrol!

Asturias:
1 Avlo Madrid-Gijón, 106. Stops Valladolid, Palencia, León, Pola, Mieres, Oviedo.
1 Alvia Madrid-Avilés, 130. Same except that after Oviedo it continues to Avilés and not Gijón.

Terrible timetable lol

Oh Spain…

How easy it would be to have a perfect timetable to Galicia with 10 train pairs in regular intervals, all via Santiago with good connections to the destination not served (either Vigo or La Coruña).

And Asturias is a joke after all the money (and water;) ) gone down the drain on the Variante.

nwales58

S-106 certification, delivery and deployment continues to remind me of Fyra. I hope I’m proved wrong.

Renfe puzzles me. The Spanish I used to meet in work were organised and highly professional. Why is Renfe’s collective behaviour so weird?

Austriantrain

Established Member
Renfe puzzles me. The Spanish I used to meet in work were organised and highly professional. Why is Renfe’s collective behaviour so weird?

Me too. All the Spanish people I know take their jobs very seriously and strive to do it well.

What puzzles me even more: how can the Spanish accept RENFEs behaviour?

Austriantrain

Established Member
I think they mostly drive.

Not where a high-speed line runs, not anymore.

It’s true though that before AVE, the train was really an afterthought in Spain. Car, coach or plane were the rule.

MarkyT

Established Member
It did occur to me that they could have the 3+2 as Economy (even sell it under the Avlo brand), the 2+2 as Standard and convert one coach to 2+1 as First.

Virgin were going to do that with the Voyagers, which is allegedly the reason for there being three accessible bogs.
That would have been pretty horrible, especially considering Voyagers have a narrow tapering body profile for tilt. The Avril cars are even wider than typical continental stock (which is wider than typical UK stock), due to having shorter vehicles. They're are also built for level boarding at 760mm platforms with a continuously level floor throughout their passenger accomodation, with wide gangways between cars that pass between the independent wheels of the Talgo running gear. All traction power is concentrated in end power cars.

peteb

The trains are being ordered by "Le Train" whose future services will operate in the south-west of France. Here is their planned route map:

Carte-trace-regions-seul-1-215x300.png
Yuk. 3+2 seating, large TV screens, and I bet they use those bright white LED lights which are not good for many people (flicker rate related).....give me a Ouigo classique corail anytime.

Snow1964

Established Member
May at the earliest

Galicia:

Asturias:

Terrible timetable lol
Seems some of the Madrid-Galicia services are being offered with super prices of just €18 (about £15)

And in Autumn RENFE is adding more high speed destinations

SPAIN’S much-loved high-speed rail network is set to grow even further later this year, with new connections between Madrid and the cities of Logroño in La Rioja region and Teruel in Aragon region from November onwards.

nwales58

European Rail Timetable says in a news update:
Now bookable from 21/05/2024 up to 22/07/2024.

Worth explaining that there is a reduction of two Galicia paths per day currently (due to Chamartin works): 0620 Vigo currently runs as a portion of the 0800 Ferrol which makes all the intermediate stops so 20 mins slower and 1h30 later to Vigo; 1315 Lugo is scrubbed.

1430 Coruna Alvia becomes 1441 AVE, 1915 Vigo Alvia becomes 1918 AVE, both need Avril sets of course.

Those two save aroung 15 minutes over the Alvia times between Madrid and Ourense thanks to higher max speed on standard gauge, about 5 minutes slower than the genuine AVE Zamora-Ourense due to going through the gauge changer at Taboadela.

Superprecios on the wannabe-AVEs are compensation for there being no Avlo yet. Seems to be Eur 18 (Ourense) on days when the other morning services are below about Eur 25 but the additional seat capacity is modest initially.

Premium is available on the S-106 AVE services.

Snow1964

Established Member
Just seen this picture, are there tablets fixed to the tables

AdamWW

Established Member
I must say, I see those three abreast slim line seats and really think of budget airlines. Not very appealing. To me anyway, I get that what I will or won't buy doesn't necessarily reflect on the wider market.

I'm not convinced by the argument I believe they've made that people only care about seat width, and not how many abreast they are.

Certainly airliner manufacturers use this as a selling point.

I would be surprised if solo passengers in first class or whatever it's called today wouldn't rather have a single seat over sharing a double one.

MarkyT

Established Member
I must say, I see those three abreast slim line seats and really think of budget airlines. Not very appealing. To me anyway, I get that what I will or won't buy doesn't necessarily reflect on the wider market.
They have at least managed to squeeze some folding armrests between each seat, which shows how much wider the Avril cars are than much other rolling stock. I really don't like the 3 abreast 'bench' seating on many UK suburban trains, but at least the properly formed individual seats and armrests here give a sense of a bit more personal space than that. If packing them cheaply in is what it takes to attract many new riders economically, that's got to be good for rail generally, and there's always the choice of the higher priced 2+2 seating on these trains.
I'm not convinced by the argument I believe they've made that people only care about seat width, and not how many abreast they are.

Certainly airliner manufacturers use this as a selling point.

I would be surprised if solo passengers in first class or whatever it's called today wouldn't rather have a single seat over sharing a double one.
It's a simple density/revenue calculation. Some Italian and Japanese trains have 'super luxury' options in small quantities for those who want to travel in splendid isolation, but at a high premium. There's always the option of a private limo or jet of course.

Last edited: