• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tallington station closure

Jan Mayen

I'm sure I've read somewhere that BR had difficulty closing this station, as the landowner retained the right to stop any passenger train.

However, I can't find anything online.

Have I got the wrong station?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I have a vague (very vague) feeling that it was Essendine. This may have been because there had been an arrangement with those involved with the Stamford & Essendine Railway so that passengers of its trains could have better connections. Or it may have been something demanded by the Marquis of Exeter, even though Tallington was nearer Burghley House.

But this is, as said, very vague. I am thinking back over forty years.

SargeNpton

Established Member
Extract from the Michael Quick "Railway Stations in Great Britain: A Chronology":

TALLINGTON [GN] op 15 July 1852**; clo 15 June 1959 (Grantham Journal 29 May). Until 1883 Earl of Lindsey could stop
any but Scottish expresses.

You should be able to download a copy of that from www.rchs.org.uk. Useful resource for looking at station closures.