• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

taunton to exeter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

why is the line closed between taunton and exeter, for a further 2 weeks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Due to engineering works at Whiteball tunnel.

Been closed since last Saturday 18th Jan.

tsr

Established Member
I am told that NR/contractors have been applying concrete to line the tunnel & carrying out drainage works today. I imagine similar activities to reinforce/refurbish the tunnel & trackbed will continue, but I don't know exactly what the schedule is during the blockade.

KA4C

Renew tunnel lining with spraycrete plus some drainage and track work, work goes on until 9th feb

WSW

Great to see the WSR also benefitting from the main line relay works:

http://www.wsr.org.uk/cgi-bin/galleri.cgi?h=Snapshot&p=2014/01/230114_08

Another view:

230114_07.jpg

Steve
www.wsr.org.uk

Goatboy

Established Member
It's part of living in the South West, constant rail engineering works - once Whiteball is finished it's buses replacing trains between Exeter and Plymouth for the next month and then once that is done it's buses replacing trains from Cheltenham to Bristol Parkway again. It's a neccesary evil I know but it seems to be every single year that most weekends are buses not trains. Ah well.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
It's part of living in the South West, constant rail engineering works - once Whiteball is finished it's buses replacing trains between Exeter and Plymouth for the next month and then once that is done it's buses replacing trains from Cheltenham to Bristol Parkway again. It's a neccesary evil I know but it seems to be every single year that most weekends are buses not trains. Ah well.

Cheltenham to Bristol will be a nightmare for me, unless services are being diverted via Newport and Gloucester?

starrymarkb

Established Member

It is during the winter. There is a ban on major works in the SW during the busy tourist season. I guess elsewhere gets them more spread out through the year

Just asking but does anybody know when FGW HST are running into Waterloo again? I know that Exeter Drivers have route learned into Waterloo as part of some engineering works in the future.

Thanks in advanced

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Just asking but does anybody know when FGW HST are running into Waterloo again? I know that Exeter Drivers have route learned into Waterloo as part of some engineering works in the future.

Thanks in advanced

Seems unlikely that Exeter drivers have learnt into Waterloo. No FGW drivers learnt the diversionary routes last time, just the guards. Even then Exeter depot only worked as far as Basingstoke. Bit early to be learning for Easter 2015 diverts too.

bnm

Established Member
As well as the work at Whiteball Tunnel, Network Rail are taking the opportunity to replace track work and signalling, as well as other permanent way work, at various locations between Taunton and Exeter.

Also, a new footbridge is being installed to the west of Taunton station, replacing the well known spotting perch, 'Forty Steps'.

1e10

What is the Cheltenham to Bristol Parkway work for?

D1009

Established Member
Goatboy's post #7 was misleading, buses are not replacing trains between Cheltenham and Bristol Parkway, the trains are diverted via Severn Tunnel Jn with some trains serving Newport. This is weekends only, though on this occasion all day Saturday and Sunday. I don't know if there is any special work going on other than normal track renewal.

Last edited:

bnm

Established Member
Goatboy's post #7 was misleading, buses are not replacing trains between Cheltenham and Bristol Parkway, the trains are diverted via Severn Tunnel Jn with some trains serving Newport.

Buses are replacing trains for those who wish to travel to/from Yate and Cam & Dursley. These stations are between Bristol Parkway and Cheltenham Spa, so Goatboy was technically correct. ;)

Taunton

Established Member
Also, a new footbridge is being installed to the west of Taunton station, replacing the well known spotting perch, 'Forty Steps'.
Ah, my old stamping ground from childhood goes!

Incidentally, there were only about 35 steps on each side.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Ah, my old stamping ground from childhood goes!

Incidentally, there were only about 35 steps on each side.

Is that the footbridge near the Post Office building, just off Staplegrove Road if I remember correctly...?

Taunton

Established Member
Is that the footbridge near the Post Office building, just off Staplegrove Road if I remember correctly...?
Yes, this one

https://maps.google.com/?ll=51.0236...RkAUAXgKq6YHiVaYNi0qtQ&cbp=12,56.63,,0,-10.32

It's going because there's a new inner by-pass road being built, from the Staplegrove Road bridge (to the west) along the alignment of the old goods loop that passed to the south of the station. That in itself had replaced, in early rail days, a canal along the same track - difficult to imagine now.

The footbridge structure dates from the early 1930s when the complete rebuilding and widening of the tracks through Taunton took place. The bowstring girder bridge of Staplegrove Road dates from the same time. I've seen other footbridges elsewhere on the old GWR that seem to be made of the same standardised components. Until the early 1960s the treads of the steps at each end were wooden planks, they were replaced then with concrete ones using the same structure.

The postal sorting building is "new", that area used to be a large number of sidings (maybe 20) which filled the area south of the main line. It was not so much a shunting area for through goods as a storage area for spare wagons throughout the South-West. It had a dedicated shunting pannier tank on weekday mornings, pretty much to the end of steam, which was about 1965 here.

Smethwickian

Just by-the-by, there was further disruption to services between the Midlands and South West this morning due to a broken rail somewhere just south of Cheltenham Spa.

I was on the (first train in that direction) 0912 Birmingham New Street to Taunton which, it was announced just a couple of mins before departure, would terminate at Cheltenham, with passengers advised to await further updates en route as alternative transport was being sourced. There was at least one coach line up by the time we arrived at Cheltenham, which is as far as I was going anyway, so not sure how long the disruption lasted.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Just by-the-by, there was further disruption to services between the Midlands and South West this morning due to a broken rail somewhere just south of Cheltenham Spa.

I was on the (first train in that direction) 0912 Birmingham New Street to Taunton which, it was announced just a couple of mins before departure, would terminate at Cheltenham, with passengers advised to await further updates en route as alternative transport was being sourced. There was at least one coach line up by the time we arrived at Cheltenham, which is as far as I was going anyway, so not sure how long the disruption lasted.
According to travel Reports on BBC was due to over-running Engineering Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.