• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Taunton - Warminster this Sunday

brad465

Established Member
I'm planning to make this journey on Sunday ahead of a meeting in the Warminster area on Monday morning. Due to GWR's strike action decisions, it's not possible to simply change at Westbury, as no long distance trains are running. I've worked out the best option is to get a Cross Country to Bristol Temple Meads and change there for a Portsmouth Harbour train. Does anyone know what the best fare option is for this journey, as presumably one direct ticket won't be valid despite there being no other way of getting there?

The organiser has offered to drive me back on Monday afterwards, when no trains are running at all, so I have no concerns with this aspect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
your cheapest option is splitting at Weston probably.

However buses are replacing trains between Weston and Bristol due to engineering. If you want to avoid that you might want to consider the more expensive option of going via Exeter and Salisbury with SWR.

mangyiscute

Established Member
Looks like direct XC trains are running between Taunton and Bristol via the diversion route - annoyingly taking you through Westbury, but you have to go all the way to Bristol then back again!

The only other option is getting to Yeovil or somewhere similar then travelling from there - I have no idea if this would be possible for you by car, although there are 2 coach services from Berry's Coaches from Taunton to Yeovil on a Sunday, leaving at 8am and 3pm (https://bustimes.org/services/superfast-2-tiverton-taunton-wincanton?date=2024-02-04), although with the bad connections at Yeovil the duration of that route is similar to via Bristol - a single on that coach is £4.50 for Taunton to Yeovil so it could be quite a bit cheaper though.

Last edited:

embers25

Established Member
There is a direct Berrys to Warminster at 8am but it is pick up only in Warminster . Its 21.50 too

Birmingham

If you just turned up at the ticket office at Taunton on Sunday and asked for a single to Warminster, they may well sell you just that and tell you that you’ll need to travel via Bristol on that day.

Last edited: