• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Telegraph article on the cost of non-contactless/Oyster fares in London

TUC

Established Member
The Telegraph has an article today on the cost of cash fares in London as compared to contactless/Oyster.

'Single Tube ticket rises to £6.70 under Sadiq Khan – double the price of contactless
Mayor accused of ‘penalising cash-payers’ with introduction of blanket pricing

The price of a cash ticket for a single Tube journey in central London has risen by 37pc under Sadiq Khan’s leadership, more than double the cost of commuting by card.

In 2016, when Mr Khan was first elected Mayor of London, a single journey cash ticket – meaning a paper ticket bought by cash or card – cost £4.90 in central London, but today the cost is £6.70. When paying with a contactless card or oyster card, the same zone one journey costs £2.80 at peak time and £2.70 off peak .

Prices for both contactless and card travel have been rising steadily over the past decade but in 2022 Mr Khan put in place a blanket price for all cash single tickets at £6.70 for all of London. It means that those paying by cash now pay double the amount paid by card users in the centre of the capital for a single journey both on and off peak.

Figures from Transport for London (TfL) show that around 66 million journeys a year – about 2pc of all journeys – are taken via single paper ticket. Buses in London haven’t accepted cash for 10 years, requiring travellers to buy a prepaid ticket or use a contactless form of payment.

Martin Quinn, of campaign group the Payment Choice Alliance, accused the Mayor of “forcing people to go cashless”.

He said: “The shocking disparity between cash tickets and pay-as-you-go fares shows the contempt that Transport for London and the Mayor have for Londoners and, let’s face it, tourists who may not have contactless cards and want to purchase tickets using cash. Why should they be penalised and forced to go cashless”.

Mr Khan has frozen all TfL prices until March 2025, in a move that he says will save Londoners up to £90 a year. Fares were previously frozen from 2016-2021, however funding reductions as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic meant they needed to rise again.

Prices for single ticket “cash” fares and Oyster pay-as-you-go fares have differed since 2003. Mr Khan introduced contactless bank card payments in 2014.

About 20pc of all journeys on the Tube network are not paid for using contactless options. This includes single tickets, travelcards, bus passes and Oyster pay-as-you-go top-ups.

Labour’s Mr Khan has served two terms as Mayor of London, arriving at City Hall in 2016. Londoners went to the polls on 2 May to elect a Mayor for the next four-year term and Greater London Assembly. The last Savanta survey for Centre for London ahead of the vote put Mr Khan on a 42pc share of the vote, ahead of Tory candidate Susan Hall on 32pc.

Mayors have legal powers to impose a levy, known as a “mayoral precept”, on the populations they serve. Londoners have seen a 71pc surge in “Sadiq’s stealth tax”. Families in London are currently charged an average of £471 per household, which is the highest figure in the country for this type of tax. The levy has increased from an average of £276 when Sadiq Khan took office.

A TfL spokesman said: “There has been a difference in the fare for single tickets (often called ‘cash’ fares) and pay-as-you-go with Oyster fares since 2003.

“The vast majority of customers on London Underground now use pay-as-you-go with contactless or Oyster, as this is a convenient way to travel. Single tickets are used for less than 2 per cent of all journeys, mostly from outside London, where they are priced differently, because they are often linked to National Rail fares.

“Alongside fare freezes in recent years, as well as a wide range of concessions available to pay-as-you-go customers, we continue to work to keep all fares as affordable as possible.”

Frustratingly, what the article doesn't bring out (although readers have picked up on in the comments below the article) is the issue of the lack of ability to use railcards for contactless travel. That is a key reason why some buy tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sonic1234

issue of the lack of ability to use railcards for contactless travel
And the railcards that can not be added to Oyster.

I doubt very many, if any, would switch back to paper tube tickets even if there were the same price as Oyster.

Paper National Rail tickets do have some niche uses within the Zones.

redreni

And the railcards that can not be added to Oyster.

I doubt very many, if any, would switch back to paper tube tickets even if there were the same price as Oyster.

Paper National Rail tickets do have some niche uses within the Zones.
If you've a Network Railcard it's not really niche in my experience - there's just case after case after case where tickets are cheaper than PAYG, especially at weekends.

Although, in most of the examples below, the PAYG fares are higher even than the £13 minimum fare for Network Railcard-discounted tickets after 10am Mondays to Fridays.

Slade Green to any zone 1 LU station: £6.70 off-peak PAYG (so £13.40 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Dartford to London Underground Zones 1-4 £9.40. 30% cheaper.
Network Railcard discounted day Travelcard £10.40

Slade Green to Slough £9.40 off-peak PAYG (so £18.80 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Slade Green to Slough £12.25. A third cheaper.
Network Railcard discounted day Travelcard plus off-peak day return West Drayton to Slough £14.05

Brentwood to Shenfield £1.80 off-peak PAYG (so £3.60 return).
Network Railcard discounted off-peak day return Brentwood to Shenfield £3. 20% cheaper.

fandroid

Established Member
As an Oyster card costs £7, it's a no-brainer to pay that rather than £6.70 minimum for a single journey.

redreni

As an Oyster card costs £7, it's a no-brainer to pay that rather than £6.70 minimum for a single journey.
That wouldn't help. You can't add a Network Railcard discount to Oyster.

Other railcards yes. Network Railcard no.

TUC

Established Member
Not if you're only an occasional visitor to London. One has to make several journeys with a railcard for the £7 charge to be counterbalanced.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Not if you're only an occasional visitor to London. One has to make several journeys with a railcard for the £7 charge to be counterbalanced.
That is why most visitors would use a contactless card. Trying to get traction on a campaign around reducing the cost of paper tickets is a lost cause.

Established Member
Martin Quinn, of campaign group the Payment Choice Alliance, accused the Mayor of “forcing people to go cashless”.

The above statement by Martin Quinn is ridiculous - cashless buses are a huge improvement on what went before and expensive cash tube fares are a complete non issue to 99.9% of those who use London’s integrated transport system, which is the envy of the rest of the UK.

One wonders who the target audience of this article is. OAPs who virtually never visit London and just like to moan, most likely - oh yes, it’s been published in The Telegraph!

That is why most visitors would use a contactless card. Trying to get traction on a campaign around reducing the cost of paper tickets is a lost cause.

Indeed. Especially as the people complaining about the lack of cheap cash fares (cash handling costs money) will be the same people who moan about subsidy levels in London generally!

Last edited:

Vespa

Established Member
Noticed the comment regarding oyster v contactless.

At present as far as I'm aware you can add a weekly/monthly travel pass on oyster also I have a disabled railcard tagged to my oyster card.

My question is, can you buy a weekly travelcard via contactless and tag it to the contactless online ? As far as I'm aware it's not possible to buy a physical weekly travel if paying with contactless at a terminal only a one day travel card can be brought.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My question is, can you buy a weekly travelcard via contactless and tag it to the contactless online ? As far as I'm aware it's not possible to buy a physical weekly travel if paying with contactless at a terminal only a one day travel card can be brought.
The only 'product' associated with Contactless is capping, on a daily or weekly basis, at the adult rate.

Oyster is used for anything else, as you note.

The concern noted was about the barrier created by a £7 fee for an Oyster card for a one off visitor, where they may as well use Contactless if they can't justify the £7 fee. Someone travelling more regularly would find it easier to justify the £7 fee.

Titfield

Established Member
The above statement by Martin Quinn is ridiculous - cashless buses are a huge improvement on what went before and expensive cash tube fares are a complete non issue to 99.9% of those who use London’s integrated transport system, which is the envy of the rest of the UK.
Mayors have legal powers to impose a levy, known as a “mayoral precept”, on the populations they serve. Londoners have seen a 71pc surge in “Sadiq’s stealth tax”. Families in London are currently charged an average of £471 per household, which is the highest figure in the country for this type of tax. The levy has increased from an average of £276 when Sadiq Khan took office.

I would quite happily pay my share of £471 per household for TfL levels of service and network in my locality. In fact even just to have a 30 minute frequency on my two local routes (to the two nearest large towns) plus enhanced networks in those towns would satisfy me.

deltic

Established Member
One wonders who the target audience of this article is. OAPs who virtually never visit London and just like to moan, most likely - oh yes, it’s been published in The Telegraph!
It's part of the steady stream of anti Kahn articles that appear in that paper.

Haywain

Veteran Member
My question is, can you buy a weekly travelcard via contactless and tag it to the contactless online ?
No, and you cannot buy a paper weekly Travelcard either - they are only available on Oyster or TOC smartcards.

Wolfie

Established Member
It's part of the steady stream of anti Kahn articles that appear in that paper.
I wonder what the Torygraph and it's target audience has against the Labour, Muslim, ethnic minority, Mayor of London.....

WestAnglian

Which is exactly what the staff helping with the queues of tourists at major stations tell the tourists: use contactless. They really discourage both cash and Oyster.

The Telegraph has an article today on the cost of cash fares in London as compared to contactless/Oyster.

'Single Tube ticket rises to £6.70 under Sadiq Khan – double the price of contactless
Mayor accused of ‘penalising cash-payers’ with introduction of blanket pricing

The price of a cash ticket for a single Tube journey in central London has risen by 37pc under Sadiq Khan’s leadership, more than double the cost of commuting by card.

In 2016, when Mr Khan was first elected Mayor of London, a single journey cash ticket – meaning a paper ticket bought by cash or card – cost £4.90 in central London, but today the cost is £6.70. When paying with a contactless card or oyster card, the same zone one journey costs £2.80 at peak time and £2.70 off peak .

Prices for both contactless and card travel have been rising steadily over the past decade but in 2022 Mr Khan put in place a blanket price for all cash single tickets at £6.70 for all of London. It means that those paying by cash now pay double the amount paid by card users in the centre of the capital for a single journey both on and off peak.

Figures from Transport for London (TfL) show that around 66 million journeys a year – about 2pc of all journeys – are taken via single paper ticket. Buses in London haven’t accepted cash for 10 years, requiring travellers to buy a prepaid ticket or use a contactless form of payment.

He said: “The shocking disparity between cash tickets and pay-as-you-go fares shows the contempt that Transport for London and the Mayor have for Londoners and, let’s face it, tourists who may not have contactless cards and want to purchase tickets using cash. Why should they be penalised and forced to go cashless”.

Mr Khan has frozen all TfL prices until March 2025, in a move that he says will save Londoners up to £90 a year. Fares were previously frozen from 2016-2021, however funding reductions as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic meant they needed to rise again.

Prices for single ticket “cash” fares and Oyster pay-as-you-go fares have differed since 2003. Mr Khan introduced contactless bank card payments in 2014.

About 20pc of all journeys on the Tube network are not paid for using contactless options. This includes single tickets, travelcards, bus passes and Oyster pay-as-you-go top-ups.

Labour’s Mr Khan has served two terms as Mayor of London, arriving at City Hall in 2016. Londoners went to the polls on 2 May to elect a Mayor for the next four-year term and Greater London Assembly. The last Savanta survey for Centre for London ahead of the vote put Mr Khan on a 42pc share of the vote, ahead of Tory candidate Susan Hall on 32pc.

A TfL spokesman said: “There has been a difference in the fare for single tickets (often called ‘cash’ fares) and pay-as-you-go with Oyster fares since 2003.

“The vast majority of customers on London Underground now use pay-as-you-go with contactless or Oyster, as this is a convenient way to travel. Single tickets are used for less than 2 per cent of all journeys, mostly from outside London, where they are priced differently, because they are often linked to National Rail fares.

“Alongside fare freezes in recent years, as well as a wide range of concessions available to pay-as-you-go customers, we continue to work to keep all fares as affordable as possible.”

Frustratingly, what the article doesn't bring out (although readers have picked up on in the comments below the article) is the issue of the lack of ability to use railcards for contactless travel. That is a key reason why some buy tickets.
Being a fair-minded and unbiaised paper I'm surpried the Telegraph forgot to mention central Governbment's part in pushing up TfL fares generally.

Dave W

Which is exactly what the staff helping with the queues of tourists at major stations tell the tourists: use contactless. They really discourage both cash and Oyster.

And not because of some conspiratorial world plan to get rid of cash, either. Because it's easier for everyone.

Torygraph really scraping the barrel if the best they can do is aim the "forcing cashless" tosh at TfL. Next it'll be blokes insisting on their magna carta right (or some such poppycock) to give a bus driver cash. And the bus driver will gladly tell them forthwith...

That London lot have got their head in the clouds! Pay for something on my card!? Not on your life! - such is the strange world outlook of a Telegraph reader.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
When are the Telegraph going to do an article about train fares everywhere else in the country.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
When are the Telegraph going to do an article about train fares everywhere else in the country.
Presumably when someone comes to them with a story. Maybe you could lobby the journalist who has written the story quoted in this thread with a starting point for a story on train fares in the rest of the country.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Presumably when someone comes to them with a story. Maybe you could lobby the journalist who has written the story quoted in this thread with a starting point for a story on train fares in the rest of the country.
Although it may help if you can find a Labour politician to blame, especially if they look a bit like Sadiq Khan.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Perhaps I should point them towards the fares section of this forum. Plenty of material there.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Perhaps I should point them towards the fares section of this forum. Plenty of material there.
If they are a half decent journalist (yes, 'if'), they would already be aware of it.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
If they are a half decent journalist (yes, 'if'), they would already be aware of it.
Even if they are a 'half decent journalist' they will still have to consider priorities for news coverage. Awareness doesn't raise issues such as the level of fares between Wakefield and Buxton and whether they are affordable or not. I recognise they wouldn't deal in such specifics but it could be quoted as an example of the issues people face.

The story that is quoted here refers to the 'Payment Choice Alliance' and seems to pick on particular bugbears. You wonder who placed the original story with the journalist.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Even if they are a 'half decent journalist' they will still have to consider priorities for news coverage. Awareness doesn't raise issues such as the level of fares between Wakefield and Buxton and whether they are affordable or not. I recognise they wouldn't deal in such specifics but it could be quoted as an example of the issues people face.

The story that is quoted here refers to the 'Payment Choice Alliance' and seems to pick on particular bugbears. You wonder who placed the original story with the journalist.

I suppose the nearest equivalent was the ticket office fiasco, which was picked up by the press.

There still seems to be a London-centricism at play though.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The only thing that surprises me about the article is the fact that it appeared after the mayoral election.

TUC

Established Member
The issue isn't just about paper tickets though. TfL's inability to accept m-tickets is a key problem for railcard users.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The issue isn't just about paper tickets though.
The issue in the article is about the price of paper tickets, so it is very much about those. Acceptance of eTickets is a completely separate issue and I very much doubt the 'Payment Choice Alliance' would be interested in that.

TUC

Established Member
The issue in the article is about the price of paper tickets, so it is very much about those. Acceptance of eTickets is a completely separate issue and I very much doubt the 'Payment Choice Alliance' would be interested in that.
My point is that, however ill- informed the journalist is, that is the real issue, not that of paper tickets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
My point is that, however ill- informed the journalist is, that is the real issue, not that of paper tickets.
It isn't yet a real issue though. It only becomes one at the point TfL stop accepting paper tickets issued by rail companies, if another solution hasn't been found by then.

FenMan

Established Member

The "Payment Choice Alliance" appears to be the latest vehicle for a chap called Ron Delnevo, who has started and dissolved a fair number of companies relating to cash, credit cards, ATMs etc going back to 2000. All have the same registered address - a 5 bed detached house in south London. The list is here: https://find-and-update.company-inf...cers/AtJMnarUghVy6eR_u1Y8RcGPvGc/appointments

MikeWM

Established Member
It's a silly article blaming Khan when this has been going on for over 20 years, but there's a reasonable underlying point to it - why is it that eg. a ticket bought in advance with a card costs more than double the contactless fare using the same card? Clearly they want to 'nudge' people towards PAYG - though this is more a shove than a nudge - but at this point surely the lack of daily capping when going down this route would be sufficient incentive for most, so this just appears to be price gouging those who don't want to use PAYG for whatever reason. The issue is rather confused by calling this a 'cash' fare, but we don't need to debate the other issues often discussed about cash in this case because this super-inflated fare isn't just for those wanting to use cash.

I know there's a whole generation of people now who are happy with PAYG - which I view as the modern equivalent of writing a blank cheque and hoping the rail company fills in the amount correctly - but there's still a lot of us who aren't, and the penalty in this case for continuing to want to transact in the way that has worked well for centuries seems incredibly excessive here, clearly well out-of-proportion from any actual economic cost.