• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tesco Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
We all know that things are not rosy at Tesco, and that you often pay more for shopping with them - but I had some Clubcard vouchers to use. I logged in to the Online shopping and found a suitable delivery slot and started my shopping - only to discover that all the offers (BOGOF, 2 for 1 etc.) expire tomorrow on products I normally buy and therefore I'm not eligible. Presumably these offers will be replaced by similar offers tomorrow (these are products which usually have offers on), but these aren't available online yet so Tesco expect me to pay full price if I want to order today, for delivery later in the week.

And they wonder why people are deserting them to go elsewhere?

:roll:

p.s. I know I could go to the store, but that defeats the object of doing it online to save time!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member

I'm on a bit of a economy drive at the moment, so I decided to visit my local Aldi for the first time instead of Tesco. Fortunately I don't think anyone saw me :)

Apart from the low low prices, there are far fewer "impulse buys" that I sometimes treat myself to, so I walked out having spent around £10 rather than the usual £25.

Plus as Janet Street Porter said here, why do Tesco need to sell 20 different types of tinned tomatoes!

However I have yet to persuade the cat to eat Aldi cat food.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I've got to admit, I've never been disappointed by anything I've bought from Aldi - even meat products.

I go through phases of doing my shopping at Lidl and Aldi (prefer the latter) but there are certain things I like that require me to go to Tesco - and I end up getting clubcard vouchers and money off fuel, so keep going back.

IanD

Established Member
We all know that things are not rosy at Tesco, and that you often pay more for shopping with them - but I had some Clubcard vouchers to use. I logged in to the Online shopping and found a suitable delivery slot and started my shopping - only to discover that all the offers (BOGOF, 2 for 1 etc.) expire tomorrow on products I normally buy and therefore I'm not eligible. Presumably these offers will be replaced by similar offers tomorrow (these are products which usually have offers on), but these aren't available online yet so Tesco expect me to pay full price if I want to order today, for delivery later in the week.

p.s. I know I could go to the store, but that defeats the object of doing it online to save time!

They quite clearly tell you when you sign up for online delivery that the price you pay will be the price at the time of delivery. Also when you check out if you've selected anything on an expiring offer this will flag up.

What do you expect them to do? Allow you to order eveything on offer today for delivery in 6 months time and still get the offer price? Then they would be in worse financial difficulties.

The reality is that their (and most other supermarket's) special offers are generally a scam - they artificially increase the base price before and after an offer to make it look like a much better offer.

However, there is nothing to stop you placing an order today, checking out using your vouchers then go in on Wednesday and amend your order to take advantage of whatever 'discounts' are introduced then. You'll find that many offers are rolled over to the next week anyway.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It's true that it's clearly displayed that the price could change between placing an order and delivery. That doesn't mean I like it, and it's one of the reasons I've never really been keen on online shopping with Tesco or Asda. At least when you visit their stores you know that the advertised discounts will be applicable.

I'm glad that this idea doesn't apply across the board. Imagine booking a rail ticket or a flight where you could find that the price has gone up before, or at the point when, you receive the tickets. Or you buy a washing machine and discover that the discount you thought you were getting doesn't apply by the time it arrives.

That being said, I have taken the plunge twice with online grocery shopping and had no increases at all on both occasions, so perhaps it isn't the norm.

Yew

Established Member
The reality is that their (and most other supermarket's) special offers are generally a scam - they artificially increase the base price before and after an offer to make it look like a much better offer.

Indeed, This video from watchdog explains the principle well with respect to wine (also it gives some wine buying tips, which are always nice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yg5is6UDRI

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, This video from watchdog explains the principle well with respect to wine (also it gives some wine buying tips, which are always nice)

In any shop it's always best to ignore any previous price or sales and just consider what the price is at the point you wish to purchase.

Neil

IanD

Established Member
I'm glad that this idea doesn't apply across the board. Imagine booking a rail ticket or a flight where you could find that the price has gone up before, or at the point when, you receive the tickets. Or you buy a washing machine and discover that the discount you thought you were getting doesn't apply by the time it arrives.

But with train tickets and flights you may find that the price has gone down between purchasing and receiving the tickets/service and be charged the original price.

At least Tescos would then charge you the lower price. (Unless something you ordered has since been included in a BOGOF or other offer then they'll still send and charge for the number of items you ordered.)

Last edited:

Seacook

I am becoming very annoyed with Tesco Online. They have a policy of price-matching substitute items but "Meal Deals" are an exception. One of their offers has been running for some time "one main, one side, one dessert and one drink" for £10. This is less than half the price of the individual items. On the last two occasions, however, they have missed out one of the four ordered items and failed to find a substitute, thus negating the offer and introducing a three for more than the price of four deal.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
They quite clearly tell you when you sign up for online delivery that the price you pay will be the price at the time of delivery. Also when you check out if you've selected anything on an expiring offer this will flag up.

What do you expect them to do? Allow you to order eveything on offer today for delivery in 6 months time and still get the offer price? Then they would be in worse financial difficulties.

However, there is nothing to stop you placing an order today, checking out using your vouchers then go in on Wednesday and amend your order to take advantage of whatever 'discounts' are introduced then. You'll find that many offers are rolled over to the next week anyway.

What do I expect them to do? I'd expect that they'd have next weeks offers loaded into the system the day before - but maybe that's not practical. I wanted a delivery for tomorrow - so as all the offers expire, there's no way to take advantage as it will be too late to amend my order beforehand. I wasn't talking about order further in advance than the next day, but didn't make that clear - I agree that it would be ridiculous to allow "buy on offer, deliver in a few months and pay the same price".

I'm not a slave to the offers - despite what this thread may suggest, but compared to my local Co-Op store, Tesco is a bargain basement.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
In any shop it's always best to ignore any previous price or sales and just consider what the price is at the point you wish to purchase.

Neil

But with train tickets and flights you may find that the price has gone down between purchasing and receiving the tickets/service and be charged the original price.

At least Tescos would then charge you the lower price. (Unless something you ordered has since been included in a BOGOF or other offer then they'll still send and charge for the number of items you ordered.)

That's all very well, but the principle I prefer is that the price you see at the point of purchase is the one you actually pay, regardless of whether it goes up or down. I want the certainty of knowing that the price I am agreeing to when I press #buy' is what I will pay. After all, it;s the price on the screen that makes a large contribution to the decision of whether to buy or not.

As Neil says it's the price at the point of purchase that matters. For me, that's when I'm in the shop or when I'm browsing on my PC or other device. I don't want to be told several days later that the price I agreed to pay is different. I'm not saying it's illegal, just that I have found it a big disincentive for online shopping with these particular companies, and I continue to do so.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
and what would happen if you went overdrawn because the price you had agreed to pay is somewhat less than the sum charged by Tesco when delivering?

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
That hadn't even crossed my mind.

It's the principle I object to. Whenever I buy anything else online the contract is entered into there and then with the price displayed on the screen as the price you will be charged. No increases, no decreases, only certainty.

I don't understand why it is different when it comes to supermarket groceries.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
It shouldn't be, especially as now the online shops are fulfilled away from the supermarket. It's a bit of a scam- I've seen stuff shoot up by £3 before, especially wine- and does tempt me back towards Aldi.

I hate shopping at the big supermarkets and still mourn moving away from Newcastle's Grainger Market.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Now Aldi takes credit cards (the way I work my finances I use these as much as I can and settle at the end of the month, so putting food shops on my debit card is inconvenient as it messes with my budgeting) I can see me going there much more often.

Neil

IanD

Established Member
If you don't like the price when the stuff is delivered you can just send it back. Don't think they refund it straight away though so if they make you go overdrawn then you should seek some redress from Tesco.

I've seen things go up by small amounts and come off offer unexpectedly and have always rung the helpline if I don't notice at the time the thing is delivered and on only one occasion have they not agreed to honour the original price/deal. Same with the meal deal - i either send the rst of the deal back or get on the phone to the helpline.

I've never actually seen enough of a price hike that would potentially cause me to go overdrawn though - but paying by credit card with a stupid credit limit that I've never managed to come close to despite my daughters' best efforts would make a difference. I suppose it depends how close to the wire you let your account go.

I wasn't talking about order further in advance than the next day, but didn't make that clear - I agree that it would be ridiculous to allow "buy on offer, deliver in a few months and pay the same price".

That does make it more difficult.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I refuse to use Aldi for their car-park related activities

The closest Aldi will be in Amesbury (in an old Co-Op building as they pulled out due to falling sales due to Tesco/Lidl), we were making a bet at how long before Aldi tries to cut the parking time and tries to limit it (planning permissions states 3 hours for use of other stops as it was built on an old council car-park)

As for online shopping, I might do it one day when having a freezer stocking up time, but most of the time it's little bits every couple days for use within the couple days

Abpj17

I use Ocado. I'm not sure it's necessarily the cheapest / best value ranges. But Tesco's had occassional but frequent enough issues with delivery and number/choice of substitutes.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I know I could go to the store, but that defeats the object of doing it online to save time!

I do my shopping in store precisely because I have seen exactly how the people picking items for the home delivery service work - more than one of them has admitted to me that they really do try to get shot of the shortest dated and least attractive looking packs of whatever it is.

That's in more than one different chain, by the way.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I do my shopping in store precisely because I have seen exactly how the people picking items for the home delivery service work - more than one of them has admitted to me that they really do try to get shot of the shortest dated and least attractive looking packs of whatever it is.

They must have worked for Brakes at somepoint them :lol:

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I've started to go to Aldi recently. Very impressed by it, and significantly cheaper than Asda.

Amberley54

As someone who has recently started working in Tesco's Dot.Com service (thus the middle of the night time of this post!) I can assure you that the software we use will not allow short dated items to be selected - this is a major challenge when customers request items like pre-packed salad or fresh cream cakes, for example.

Also, if you don't want a particular item to be substituted if not available, you can specify. Would also point out that when have to substitute, a higher priced item is picked, so you will not get items from the 'value' range used as substitute but one from the 'Tesco best' range and/or a bigger item. These will be charged at price of customers selection, so can be a sizeable saving on items such as fish and meat.

Finally, if you don't like the substitute item, just send it back! Two of our KPIs are on minimising number of substitutions and % of returns.

Must dash, in work at 5.15 :cry:

Last edited:

afyutr

I wait until we get sent the £15 off £60 worth of shopping, or 20% off a delivery offers through from any of the shops, then stock up on the essential stuff that almost never ever changes price or is never really undercut by other offers on smaller packs, such as big bags of cat litter and big boxes of cat food. We need it, and savings of 20-25% are always gratefully received!

Gets some odd comments from the delivery drivers like...

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I abandened Tesco for anything other than the odd sandwitch or pint of milk, lottery etc some time ago and my most recent visits have all been when out working, bashing or staying near one. Asda home delivery gets visited periodically for things my large local Lidl cant provide but prefer to use somewhere like Sainsburys or a Coop as despite what some on here have said, particularly in refference to Coop there own brand products which in the main is what I buy are good qualitty and farely priced.

I have on so many occasions and particularly with Tesco had goods that are nearly out of date and whilst glad to hear there working on this its smells to me of shutting the stable door. My mate who is practically housebound gets a Morrisons online shop and having tried them all he says its the best and thinks this may be the way to go for this equally trouble hit chain.

I also think it has a lot to do with what you buy - if like mine your shop contains 95 percent own brand products, with about 90 percent of those being value type ranges with the odd finest/extra special item and maybe the odd few Bisto, Aunty Besys and Detol products to make up the numbers your shopping cost is by and large the same and swaps/subs fewer, however if your shopping habbits are like this all the time then the Aldis and Lidls of this world are for you as they are cheeper. If however your a sucker for big name brand everything which some are (all down to taist and choices again) then the likes of ASDA, Iceland and Farmfoods represent good value for money.

It woant be long now till the Superstore as we know it will disrapeer with the the buildings converted to distribution hubs for online, smartphone and Telephone orders and only then will we get a clear picture of how fit the Big 4 grocers are because to survive this type of traiding they will need to be in tip top traiding condition. Personally I think the winners will be Asda, Sainsburys and Waitrose, with not much room for a middle man like Tesco or Morrisons given the abilitty of Iceland etc to offer good deals on branded goods.

Clip

Established Member
Its quite odd with Tesco as me missus does the shopping on there and everytime she does it she gets delivery for a quid!! Still too many swaps though.

All about living close to an Asian(chinese) wholesaler who lets the public in. The stuff is cracking and cheaper than even LIDL/ALdi can manage.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I don't go to Tesco. I have had deliveries from Asda but I won't pay more than £1 for the privilege! I don't order perishable goods online at all.

gswindale

We use Tesco for the online shop & Tesco/Saintsbury's for normal shops.

Why?

To get the Avios points mainly and also because they are the most convenient to get to.

We don't get a lot of substitutions either and generally the life & quality seems quite acceptable. Occasionally items become inexplicably unavailable though & you can go in 30 minutes after your delivery and find shelves of the exact same items!

Asda may well be cheaper but as they have so few stores around it just isn't economical to go there. Not sure if they deliver to our area ever due to the distance involved.

Tried Aldi a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I abandened Tesco for anything other than the odd sandwitch or pint of milk, lottery etc some time ago and my most recent visits have all been when out working, bashing or staying near one. Asda home delivery gets visited periodically for things my large local Lidl cant provide but prefer to use somewhere like Sainsburys or a Coop as despite what some on here have said, particularly in refference to Coop there own brand products which in the main is what I buy are good qualitty and farely priced.

There's sadly a difference between the "normal" Co-Op and the Lincolnshire Co-Op who have some very strange ideas when it comes to pricing and stocking their stores. There are price differentials in stores only a couple of miles apart, and the one in my village is nearly always the most expensive - presumably because it is the only store in the village.

The Co-Op also own a lot of land and buildings in the local area, and have done everything in their power to get the council to agree to schemes to drive out local businesses. They're a very un-cooperative co-operative!

Amberley54

Its quite odd with Tesco as me missus does the shopping on there and everytime she does it she gets delivery for a quid!! Still too many swaps though.

Just back home from shift. Back in covering for ill delivery driver this evening - out into the wilds of the Peak District for just six drops in 3 hours. Big orders though.

Checked our substitution % when I got in this morning, and currently running at 2.9% for past 7 days - not bad at less than 3 items per 100. However, target is 2.5% :(

Status
Not open for further replies.