• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfL Streetdeck/Gemini Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Would I be right in saying that the Wright integral Streetdeck hybrids are the ones with a conventional layout and backseat downstairs, with the Wright bodies Volvo hybrids having a more odd layout? Or have I got it the wrong way around? Are there any other ways of easily telling them apart?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Would I be right in saying that the Wright integral Streetdeck hybrids are the ones with a conventional layout and backseat downstairs, with the Wright bodies Volvo hybrids having a more odd layout? Or have I got it the wrong way around? Are there any other ways of easily telling them apart?
Rear window off side is indeed stepped up on a B5LH but not on a Streetdeck IIRC. There's probably clues with vents etc but you'd need a real expert

busesrusuk

There is one design cue that is apparent when seeing the buses from the nearside. The Streetdecks have the nearside destination box "sunk" into the window line whereas the Volvos do not. Certainly apparent on the Go Ahead WSD class and I believe on other London Streetdecks but there aren't that many of them. Tower Transit have a large batch which also have the "sunken" destination box whilst Arriva have a relatively small (and apparently unloved) batch but I don't have pics of those. I can't think of any other TfL London operators of Streetdecks. Here are a couple of nearside pics to illustrate the blind box layout on Go Ahead London buses. First pic is a Streetdeck the second a Volvo B5:

Last edited by a moderator:

MCR247

Established Member
Rear window off side is indeed stepped up on a B5LH but not on a Streetdeck IIRC. There's probably clues with vents etc but you'd need a real expert

There is one design cue that is apparent when seeing the buses from the nearside. The Streetdecks have the nearside destination box "sunk" into the window line whereas the Volvo's do not. Certainly apparent on the Go Ahead WSD class and I believe on other London Streetdecks but there aren't that many of them. Tower Transit have a large batch which also have the "sunken" destination box whilst Arriva have a relatively small (and apparently unloved) batch but I don't have pics of those. I can't think of any other TfL London operators of Streetdecks. Here are a couple of nearside pics to illustrate the blind box layout on Go Ahead London buses. First pic is a Streetdeck the second a Volvo B5:

Great, thank you both

cnjb8

Established Member
If this helps, the B5LH has a shorter wheelbase and a large overhang. The StreetDeck is more even looking

MotCO

Established Member
If this helps, the B5LH has a shorter wheelbase and a large overhang. The StreetDeck is more even looking

I think that the rear overhang on the Volvo looks excessive - I'm no engineer, but surely such a long overhang, supporting a heavy engine, will lead to structural issues in due course.

busesrusuk

It also means that the centre door on the Volvo is a half a bay nearer to the front door than the Streetdeck. The upper window arrangement is also different - I think its easier to spot the differences on the nearside than the offside!

cnjb8

Established Member
I think that the rear overhang on the Volvo looks excessive - I'm no engineer, but surely such a long overhang, supporting a heavy engine, will lead to structural issues in due course.
Agreed, must cause quite a bit of damage going over speed bumps!

busesrusuk

I think that the Streetdeck has the engine placed transverse whilst the Volvo is longitudinal which results in the longer overhang. A bit like the original Bristol VR (coded VRL) before operators turned their nose up at it and the engine was swung round 90 degrees which, at the time, was more acceptable to operators (known as VRT's). Of course there were VR's with the longitudinal engines that formed the basis for the Standerwick coaches. Considerably more VRT's were built than the original VRL design.

The biggest issue with them is if drivers change buses during their shifts from something like an E400 to a Volvo B5 and forget the extra rear overhang. Cost quite a few rear windows when drivers unwittingly swipe bus stop poles and the like when pulling out from stops...

CN04NRJ

Established Member

If I'm correct the whole drivetrain is mounted in this area? Not sure how heavy the engine is given it's so small but given the general build quality overall of these I wouldn't be surprised either if they eventually had structural issues.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
If I'm correct the whole drivetrain is mounted in this area? Not sure how heavy the engine is given it's so small but given the general build quality overall of these I wouldn't be surprised either if they eventually had structural issues.
It's because the Volvo "BxL" chassis that they're based on is designed for 12 metre single deckers. The rear overhang isn't that long, it's the same as any full size Volvo single decker, it's more that the wheelbase is short.

Snow1964

Established Member
I believe RATP London had one, fleet 45252 which was a long term demonstrator. They never ordered anymore and it went back to Wrightbus 2-3 years ago.

My understanding is the Streetdeck chassis was the one developed (with financial assistance) for the LT new routemaster, and only differs behind the rear axle from the chassis under LT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.