• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW ‘Active Travel’ Class 153s

craigybagel

Established Member
I seem to remember a lot of controversy about the small cabs when the 155 to 153 conversions were done, with drivers and unions all unhappy about cramped they were.

But it sounds like that’s not the case?
We're hearing different things from different sources. We'll have to wait and see what finally turns up, but I'm certainly hoping for small cabs out. I don't care about how cramped they are, I just want that legroom.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ashley Hill

Established Member
We're hearing different things from different sources. We'll have to wait and see what finally turns up, but I'm certainly hoping for small cabs out. I don't care about how cramped they are, I just want that legroom.
I always found the "Compact & Bijou" end better too. There is no knee room in the big cabs and the guards seat was too low.

BenBracken

Work is progressing, first one is in fit out and should be ready in about 4 weeks. Availability of parts has been the main hold up.
I contacted the HoWL CRP to see what info they had. They responded that they are liaising with TfW on the fit out and livery and there are decisions to still be made on this, so they thought maybe only ready for testing in that timescale.

scotraildriver

Established Member
On our "active travel" 153s at ScotRail ASLEF have insisted we only drive from the big end. The legroom is awful for a 3 and a half hour trip, although thankfully they've massively improved the cab heating. The reliability in general though remains woeful.

sd0733

Established Member
I contacted the HoWL CRP to see what info they had. They responded that they are liaising with TfW on the fit out and livery and there are decisions to still be made on this, so they thought maybe only ready for testing in that timescale.
Yes sorry that's what I meant. It'll be longer than that until any are in service. Believe its hoped for 1 minimum at the June timetable but will depend how everything progresses.

craigybagel

Established Member
On our "active travel" 153s at ScotRail ASLEF have insisted we only drive from the big end. The legroom is awful for a 3 and a half hour trip, although thankfully they've massively improved the cab heating. The reliability in general though remains woeful.
Indeed, I wondered if if the person responsible for that decision had actually been in a 153 cab?

I'm surprised about the heating, that's one of the few things on a 153 that does reliably work in my experience - but then we don't have to deal with Scottish Winters down our way ....

scotraildriver

Established Member
As delivered, the heating was hopeless for West Highland temperatures. However they've fitted foot level ducts and it's now very good. Apparently the pipework at the small end was in too poor a condition to consider modifying hence we only drive at the "big" end. Still god awful things plagued by door faults and random electrical issues. A shame as the actual product is very good and serves its purpose, but the train itself is knackered.

BenBracken

As delivered, the heating was hopeless for West Highland temperatures. However they've fitted foot level ducts and it's now very good. Apparently the pipework at the small end was in too poor a condition to consider modifying hence we only drive at the "big" end. Still god awful things plagued by door faults and random electrical issues. A shame as the actual product is very good and serves its purpose, but the train itself is knackered.
Doesn’t sound promising! What happens when they have these faults, are they uncoupled and the 156 carries on or is it a service cancellation? How are the 156/158 units in comparison for reliability as they are of a similar age?

Snow1964

Established Member
DfT has launched consultation on the Active Travel 153s

Summary​

Dispensation request from Transport for Wales Rail Limited for conversion of 6 Class 153 units to active travel vehicles.

This consultation closes at
11:59pm on 30 April 2024

Consultation description​

Seeks views on Transport for Wales Rail Limited’s request for dispensation against the Persons with Reduced Mobility National Technical Specification Notice (PRM NTSN) in respect of 6 Class 153 units converted to active travel vehicles.

Don't comply with: seats, wheelchair spaces, doors, toilets, customer information, step position, boarding aids

Caaardiff

It is noted that TfW is currently drafting a future fleet and decarbonisation strategy looking at fleet plans up to 2040. This anticipates that the Class 153 units will predominantly operate on the HoW Line until around 2030, when they are expected to be life expired. While there is currently no firm plan for the replacement fleet, it is currently anticipated that the Class 153 units will be replaced by 2-car Class 197 units that would be cascaded from other routes.

By this time the popularity of the active travel layout on the Class 153/5 will be fully understood and consideration can be given to similarly modifying the Class 197s before they are introduced on to the HoW Line. While the Class 197s will not be brand new, they will still offer a modern fleet designed around current PRM requirements and will have a higher level of compliance than the Class 153s they would replace.

twpsaesneg

It was the plan to do them all like it. Unsure if it still is now there's plans to use them off the Heart of Wales.
If you read the dispensation request it says that the livery will only be applied to the Active Travel units themselves so that they are immediately identifable to both passengers and staff, in part to stop them inadvertently being sent out alone.

sd0733

Established Member
If you read the dispensation request it says that the livery will only be applied to the Active Travel units themselves so that they are immediately identifable to both passengers and staff, in part to stop them inadvertently being sent out alone.
Ah ok not seen that bit. Plans have obviously changed since the originals. Makes sense to be fair.

The_Train

Established Member
So have any of the units actually started their transformation yet?

sd0733

Established Member
Current plan for these seems to be:

-Unit 1 will be ready within 4 weeks and be used for testing, proving etc.
-Unit 2 shouldn't be too far behind, these 2 will then enter service on the Heart of Wales.
-Once those 2 are in service 153968 and 972 will then be withdrawn and enter Landore for conversion to 153/5s.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
This really needs a “Heart of Wales Cycle Route” to be established following the line on parallel minor roads and tracks…

Western 52

This really needs a “Heart of Wales Cycle Route” to be established following the line on parallel minor roads and tracks…
That's a good idea. Plenty of lovely areas for cycling and walking in that area. Years ago there used to be walking route guides which we used many times. You had to watch the train times though as they only run about every 4 hours!

BenBracken

I did a lovely route a few weeks back. Took the bike on the train from Llandeilo to Sugar Loaf (the guard was almost in disbelief, had never sold a ticket to there before!) and then cycled back. Detoured via Cynghordy to have a look at the viaduct. Lots of lovely little lanes to use and great scenery. Having the bike on a single car 153 was a squeeze though so it will be great to have these trains.

AHBD

That's a good idea. Plenty of lovely areas for cycling and walking in that area. Years ago there used to be walking route guides which we used many times. You had to watch the train times though as they only run about every 4 hours!
I think theres a book with an unofficial route

DelW

Established Member

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Les Lumsdon is a local legend. That’s a walk, though, not a cycle route, and you don’t need an Active Travel carriage for walkers (well, a bit more rucksack space I guess?).

DelW

Established Member
Les Lumsdon is a local legend. That’s a walk, though, not a cycle route, and you don’t need an Active Travel carriage for walkers (well, a bit more rucksack space I guess?).
Ah, yes, I missed the cycling reference!