• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW 2024 Timetable consultation.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Hmm yeah, that’s an interesting point. I’ve only been knocking about the railway a few years so never seen a different Sunday timetable. My hope had been that by us brining Sundays in the week, we would see a better Sunday timetable formed eventually.
We will see if they ever make the mist out of it or not.

I hope so too, I think the current service really is the bare minimum.
I don’t expect the Barmouth to ever come back and the re-timing of the 2 late services I think is fine, but not running them for 3 months is bonkers in my opinion.
I’ve replied to the consultation and I have written direct to James Price.
I’ve done it once before and had a great response, so we will see if I get one back this time.

I wonder if they'll consider filling the gap with bus services if as it seems they intend to re-regulate these?

Does the earlier last train in summer mean a connection to Birmingham? The late one previously was I think a standalone with nothing onward from Mach, reducing its utility.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I wonder if they'll consider filling the gap with bus services if as it seems they intend to re-regulate these?

Does the earlier last train in summer mean a connection to Birmingham? The late one previously was I think a standalone with nothing onward from Mach, reducing its utility.
They do mention looking at replacement bus services for the Heart of Wales and I strongly agree it's sensible to include local buses in the rail schedules as if they were TfW rail services more widespread.

Envoy

Established Member
They say that no changes are being published regarding Sunday services. I would suggest that the useless empty coach stock train that leaves Cardiff around 9.20 on Sundays actually leaves 10 minutes earlier and carries passengers. That could then provide a change in Swansea to the GWR service that goes to Carmarthen - where it arrives 7 minutes AFTER the bus to Aberystwyth has left. So, bring forward the GWR also by 10 minutes and you have a way of getting from Cardiff to Aberystwyth on a Sunday morning as well as linking all the places in between.

Currently - no joined up thinking!

Krokodil

Established Member
It's not difficult to achieve, but there's barely anyone using Cardiff Airport.
The station isn't exactly convenient. It's right next door to the airport, yet on the wrong side of the runway so the bus has to go around. At least the connection is short, assuming that the bus driver waits for delayed trains. If the Welsh Government are short of funds ("if" isn't really in question here) they'd be better off developing the site for housing - it would both provide a better return for the Welsh taxpayer and serve a more useful purpose if it became a new town than it currently does as a moneypit airport (must be at least £100m poured into it so far).

Fair enough!
I’d have thought once Sundays are in the working week for drivers (this June) and guards (next May/June ish time) TFW would be ‘quids in’ based on the overtime that currently gets paid for Sundays.
Was intrigued to see how the numbers looked, guess we shall leave it to imagination for now then haha.
In order to bring Sundays inside the week, staffing complements have had to increase. I'm not, sure how many across the board but let's say 16%. If you include the extra staffing for planned increases in weekday services it is even higher.

Then there are the above inflation restructuring deals and the fact that the guards will be earning both the increased salary and the enhanced Sunday rate (which likewise increased above inflation before you even consider the Sunday multiplier) for a whole year before Sundays are no longer paid as overtime.

They do mention looking at replacement bus services for the Heart of Wales and I strongly agree it's sensible to include local buses in the rail schedules as if they were TfW rail services more widespread.
The X19 timetable in the Conwy Valley used to fill the gaps in between the trains. Then it became part of the TrawsCymru network as the T19 with mutual acceptance of return tickets. All good stuff, but Conwy Council couldn't afford to keep funding the service and there was no help from Cardiff so the route got pulled.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The X19 timetable in the Conwy Valley used to fill the gaps in between the trains. Then it became part of the TrawsCymru network as the T19 with mutual acceptance of return tickets.
Indeed. And the single time I used the service the bus driver informed us unequivocally that our railway tickets are not accepted for bus travel, despite the information on the website saying they were. In the end we were begrudgingly carried without a further charge but of course many people wouldn't want to dig in on a point like that. My friend held an Anytime Day Return from Llandudno Junction to Bleanau Ffestiniog with Staff Travel Card discount on an eticket, I held I think an Explore Wales pass on credit card sized tickets with 26-30 Railcard discount. Both were considered not to be permitted.

Envoy

Established Member
The station isn't exactly convenient. It's right next door to the airport, yet on the wrong side of the runway so the bus has to go around. At least the connection is short, assuming that the bus driver waits for delayed trains. If the Welsh Government are short of funds ("if" isn't really in question here) they'd be better off developing the site for housing - it would both provide a better return for the Welsh taxpayer and serve a more useful purpose if it became a new town than it currently does as a moneypit airport (must be at least £100m poured into it so far).
The trains are timed to more or less pass at Rhoose station and the bus drivers know this & wait to pick up passengers from west & east.

If Cardiff Airport now had the flight levels of Bristol airport, then I would think they would be looking at building a direct loop into the terminal off and back on to the VOG Coast line.

They can’t close the airport and build houses or whatever on the land because British Airways have a big maintenance base at the airport. (Fat lot of use BA are - years ago they bought up our own airline ‘Cambrian’ because they wanted the BAC 1-11 jets. Next thing, they closed the Cardiff routes and used the planes elsewhere).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Other than the extremes-of-day ones which I can see the sense in if nobody uses them, what's the logic in dropping the mid afternoon Pwllheli round trip? Is it to create a path for something else e.g. driver training on 197s?
You may say nobody uses the first train of the day, but currently the 0645 from Barmouth to Machynlleth offers an 0822 arrival at Aberystwyth by changing trains at Dovey Junction or Machynlleth. Only takes an hour to from Aberdovey to Aberystwyth. Pushing it back to 0921 is clearly not great. It'd be quicker to buy a boat and sail yourself there.

Good to see the T2 Aberystwyth - Machynlleth - Bangor joining the railway network in June. Presumably the non-railway points at Pen-y-Gros and Dolgellau will be introduced as new virtual railway station openings, and Caernarfon upgraded.

Krokodil

Established Member
The services at the beginning and end of the day are often far more important than their loadings imply. These are the services that decide whether rail is a viable means of travel for a passenger - if you can't start early or return late enough to do whatever it is you're doing at your destination then you'll be walking down a car dealership pronto. Frequency reductions don't have the same effect (though that's not to say no impact at all).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The services at the beginning and end of the day are often far more important than their loadings imply. These are the services that decide whether rail is a viable means of travel for a passenger - if you can't start early or return late enough to do whatever it is you're doing at your destination then you'll be walking down a car dealership pronto. Frequency reductions don't have the same effect (though that's not to say no impact at all).

Though if they're quiet a bus may be a more economic way to provide them...

Bikeman78

Established Member
It was so simple yesterday that the train arrived at Chester 6 minutes early by the public timetable. Being timed for a 75mph sprinter but formed of a Cl 197 probably helped.

25 minutes is not challenging. A 101 or 142 could do it in 20 minutes with clear signals.

It's going to be quite a challenge to release any extra fleet to work to Pwllheli when a full hourly service between Aberystwyth and Shrewsbury is running, so the lost coastal services will probably never be coming back.
Currently the unit off 2G20 works 2J03 and 2I20, then attaches to 1I20. The most likely scenario is that the unit will stable at Machynlleth from approx 0900 to 1400.

The initial 2 trains per hour was based upon the sectional running times of class 153’s and the second service would be limited stop.
Since then it is planned to run them with class 230’s which have superior performance compared to the 153’s. (we won’t go into any discussion on those units as it’s way off topic and there is a relevant thread). Further to that more freight paths for the cement works have been secured and the infrastructure has been declared congested.
There is a report by Network rail here:

In short: to allow a 30 minute service interval (2 trains per hour) there would need to be a new entrance to the cement works and intermediate block signals would be required along the line.

Perhaps with that there could be some line speed improvements to help reduce the strain on the round trip time.

Having 5diagrams wouldn’t be viable as there are only 5 230 units.
How much faster is a 230 compared with a 150? A 150 is already better than a 153.

Running a round trip all stations in one direction and semi fast back would probably save enough minutes to make 120 minutes reasonably reliable. Regarding five diagrams, one of them could be covered by a 197 if required. I am not convinced that four all day diagrams will be possible for the 230s but, as you say, that is a separate debate.

Last edited:

Krokodil

Established Member
Lower cost to operate perhaps, but depending on the route it may lose you the customer. On rural routes the timings may let you get away with it, but you've also got to consider the nature of the human involved. Mr Big travelling down to his important meeting might refuse to consider using buses, do you want to lose his 1st class return fare to London/Cardiff/Manchester for the sake of a few quid saved on the feeder service? If Mr Jones can't get his bike on (he'll need it for his journey from the station to work) then he's going to invest in some driving lessons. It will vary by route, an 04:30 departure on one of the main line routes is more likely to have such passengers than the first train from Pwllheli. Incidentally Avanti pissed off quite a few MPs when they withdrew the 04:48 ex-Holyhead. It was the only way that anyone from Holyhead or Bangor could be in London before 09:00, and the alternative service for Llandudno Junction and east thereof involves getting up a whole hour earlier, for only a 25 minute gain by the time that the connection from Crewe arrives at Euston.

Regarding five diagrams, one of them could be covered by a 197 if required.
Assuming that you've got a 197 to spare. The ones which have been covering the service recently weren't surplus, they've been poached from somewhere else.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's hinted not. Bus seems to be being explored for the benefit of the Heart of Wales initially, which makes a lot more sense because the bus can more easily replicate that train service.

Incidentally Avanti pissed off quite a few MPs when they withdrew the 04:48 ex-Holyhead. It was the only way that anyone from Holyhead or Bangor could be in London before 09:00, and the alternative service for Llandudno Junction and east thereof involves getting up a whole hour earlier, for only a 25 minute gain by the time that the connection from Crewe arrives at Euston.
It also leaves a 60 minute gap from Chester to Crewe after the Crewe shuttle 0547, and then a further 45 minute gap after the next shuttle at 0647. No direct Chester to London until 0732. Really poor.

Krokodil

Established Member
It also leaves a 60 minute gap from Chester to Crewe after the Crewe shuttle 0547, and then a further 45 minute gap after the next shuttle at 0647. No direct Chester to London until 0732. Really poor.
And yet on a Saturday Avanti do manage run that train, albeit starting at Chester where passengers can connect from 1V90. If they did that on weekdays it would be better than nothing.

Starmill

Veteran Member
And yet on a Saturday Avanti do manage run that train, albeit starting at Chester where passengers can connect from 1V90. If they did that on weekdays it would be better than nothing.
I guess it's because there is no 0535 Blackpool North to London Euston on Saturdays, so the slot is vacant. They could go back to attaching the service from Chester as they used to back when there were Voyagers, but only if they were to run the Blackpool portion as an 805 I guess. Of course they could also bin the Blackpool portion entirely.

Lurcheroo

Nope, not even close, the mast through depart from Aberystwyth is 19:30 so is about 2 hours too late ! Which ironically, is the time the train before it departs at 17:30 and does connect to the last through train.

You may say nobody uses the first train of the day, but currently the 0645 from Barmouth to Machynlleth offers an 0822 arrival at Aberystwyth by changing trains at Dovey Junction or Machynlleth. Only takes an hour to from Aberdovey to Aberystwyth. Pushing it back to 0921 is clearly not great. It'd be quicker to buy a boat and sail yourself there.
I must say, you’ll be lucky to see 1 person in the round trip most days. Saturdays you might have a handful heading further a field and it’s a shame they wouldn’t run it Saturday only! I have never known anyone to use it to get to Aberystwyth, doesn’t mean they haven’t done but it’s very few and far between if anyone does.
In order to bring Sundays inside the week, staffing complements have had to increase. I'm not, sure how many across the board but let's say 16%. If you include the extra staffing for planned increases in weekday services it is even higher.

Then there are the above inflation restructuring deals and the fact that the guards will be earning both the increased salary and the enhanced Sunday rate (which likewise increased above inflation before you even consider the Sunday multiplier) for a whole year before Sundays are no longer paid as overtime.
Good points. I was told it was a 30% increase at Mach.

Starmill

Veteran Member
The last service for Shrewsbury is the 1929 from Aberystwyth, 2011 from Machynlleth. This is the service to which the 1742 from Pwllheli attaches.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting but if it's say the 2129 from Aberystwyth to Machynlleth to extend to Shrewsbury, this could work with an earlier say 1930ish departure from Pwllheli. However this would be limited by the need to cross the 2008 from Birmingham International to Aberystwyth at Talerddig. It would be roughly 2320 into Shrewsbury, way too late to connect to the last WMR to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.

Krokodil

Established Member
I guess it's because there is no 0535 Blackpool North to London Euston on Saturdays, so the slot is vacant. They could go back to attaching the service from Chester as they used to back when there were Voyagers, but only if they were to run the Blackpool portion as an 805 I guess. Of course they could also bin the Blackpool portion entirely.
The two services used to combine at Crewe. Now the weekday service is a double Voyager from Blackpool, and the Saturday service is a double Voyager from Chester. I get that they can't run it from Holyhead because that is one of the depots where they're struggling for drivers but failing to at least run a portion from Chester is a slap in the face. Mind you, Cestrians are used to that from Avanti, anyone remember the days when there used to be a regular London train?

Starmill

Veteran Member
The two services used to combine at Crewe. Now the weekday service is a double Voyager from Blackpool, and the Saturday service is a double Voyager from Chester. I get that they can't run it from Holyhead because that is one of the depots where they're struggling for drivers but failing to at least run a portion from Chester is a slap in the face. Mind you, Cestrians are used to that from Avanti, anyone remember the days when there used to be a regular London train?
It is very poor indeed. And of course no service from Poulton-le-Fylde either, except for the Sunday evening service, which doesn't even go to London. Very poor.

Veteran Member
Just for information I've uploaded a combined copy of the timetable spreadsheets to the opening post just for posterity when they're inevitably taken down from TfWs website.
Looking at the Marches spreadsheet, it seems that the nearest equivalent to Gerallt is 2 hours later - or have I misunderstood?

EDIT: I have - I was looking at the SO version - my tablet version of Excel behaved very oddly!

Last edited:

Jez

Established Member
I have now had a good look at the timings of Swanlines and other Carmarthen-Cardiff services incuding connections onto the Manchester's at Cardiff Central. It looks like the hours there is still a service between Carmarthen-Cardiff it does connect with the MK4 going to Manchester (but only just as its 7 minutes which is the minimum for Cardiff). The service from West Wales arrives at xx46 and the Manchesters all seem to depart at xx53. A 7 minute connection should be okay and if it was missed at least alternative plans would need to be put in place by TFW including delay repay.

In the hours there isnt a fast service from Carmarthen there is the Swanline which arrives into Cardiff around xx34 and would connect with the MK4. So not to bad but could be better. Plus there is the 2 hourly direct service West Wales to Manchester of course. It would make sense to use that unless one wants to make use of the first class service on the MK4.

Looking at the departures from Cardiff to West Wales its even worst than the up journeys. The hour the Swanline runs is also the same hour a service from Manchester runs through to the West - so we have the GWR, TFW fast and TFW stopper all very close together. Then the other hour when there is no fast services to West Wales there is no Swanline either so just the GWR then an hour gap (aside from the Maesteg). It is also odd having a departure to Milford and then very close behind it a departure to Pembroke Dock (Swanline).

Lurcheroo

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting but if it's say the 2129 from Aberystwyth to Machynlleth to extend to Shrewsbury, this could work with an earlier say 1930ish departure from Pwllheli. However this would be limited by the need to cross the 2008 from Birmingham International to Aberystwyth at Talerddig. It would be roughly 2320 into Shrewsbury, way too late to connect to the last WMR to Wolverhampton and Birmingham.
To be fair I don’t think Bletchleyite was trying to suggest anything, just asking if it’s possible TFW have retimed it to allow it to connect and have a better use case for people and to improve passenger numbers on it. Which as we both said, it doesn’t.

If the 21:29 was to go to Shrewsbury and cross the 20:08 at Tallerddig it would be quite a bit later than 23:20 based on the current timetable. Perhaps the 21:50 could leave Shrewsbury at 21:30 and cross it at Machynlleth instead. But even then would still arrive too late into Shrewsbury to connect with any services to Birmingham with the last being 22:40. It also creates the issue of how does the driver get back to Mach as currently the driver who drives the 19:30 from Aber between Mach and Shrewsbury brings the 21:50 back through to Aber and then back to Mach to finish.
I can think of some answers but none very realistic given TFW’s current state.

SeanM1997

Its a shame TfW are not looking to significantly improve their English services.

If they operated an hourly Crewe-Shrewsbury stopper (increasing from every 2 hours as of today) as well as the hourly Manchester-South Wales service, it would help to relieve overcrowding on the long distance service, enhance connections at Crewe and Shrewsbury, and offer consistent timetabling for stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury.

Alas this improvement doesn't seem to enter the thoughts of TfW despite both Crewe and Shrewsbury being major junctions and depots for TfW

Lurcheroo

Its a shame TfW are not looking to significantly improve their English services.

If they operated an hourly Crewe-Shrewsbury stopper (increasing from every 2 hours as of today) as well as the hourly Manchester-South Wales service, it would help to relieve overcrowding on the long distance service, enhance connections at Crewe and Shrewsbury, and offer consistent timetabling for stations between Crewe and Shrewsbury.

Alas this improvement doesn't seem to enter the thoughts of TfW despite both Crewe and Shrewsbury being major junctions and depots for TfW
I think you may have missed most of what has been said. We would all love improvements. And so would TFW. They are having to close a £150 million deficit and are having to delay any improvements that they committed too.

It’s not that “it doesn’t enter their thoughts” it’s that they’re not in a position to do so at the moment.

SeanM1997

I think you may have missed most of what has been said. We would all love improvements. And so would TFW. They are having to close a £150 million deficit and are having to delay any improvements that they committed too.

It’s not that “it doesn’t enter their thoughts” it’s that they’re not in a position to do so at the moment.
They have never mentioned any sort of improvement on the Shrewsbury - Manchester corridor since Welsh Government took over the franchise.

Yet, they previously mentioned the Welsh Marches line was the only profitable line they operate:
But the official said the route known as the Welsh Marches line is the only profitable service the Welsh government-owned organisation has.

So my point stands - and realistically they should be looking to enhancing what is profitable to boost ridership to help subsidise the rest of the network, which 1 additional train set shuttling between Crewe and Shrewsbury would help to achieve - freeing up capacity on the Manchester-South Wales service and enhancing connectivity at Crewe/Shrewsbury to improve the wider network's accessibility.

craigybagel

Established Member

Nantwich & Whitchurch get a more consistent service though the day in the proposed timetable, with the 2 hourly Manchester 197 operated services calling, plus some rush hour calls on the MKIVs. That serves about 90% of the people who would benefit from an hourly local service - the current 2 hourly service is pretty quiet most of the day, especially when traffic from those two stations is discounted.

Overcrowding will be relieved when nearly all services become 5 cars.

Jez

Established Member
Nantwich & Whitchurch get a more consistent service though the day in the proposed timetable, with the 2 hourly Manchester 197 operated services calling, plus some rush hour calls on the MKIVs. That serves about 90% of the people who would benefit from an hourly local service - the current 2 hourly service is pretty quiet most of the day, especially when traffic from those two stations is discounted.

Overcrowding will be relieved when nearly all services become 5 cars.
Calls at Whitchurch and Nantwich on the Manchesters arent great for long distance passengers however - I much prefer it when the train runs non stop Shrewsbury to Crewe.

Therefore id welcome an hourly stopper to pick up the stops between Shrewbury and Crewe. Cardiff to Manchester should be limited stop IMO.

Starmill

Veteran Member
To be fair I don’t think Bletchleyite was trying to suggest anything, just asking if it’s possible TFW have retimed it to allow it to connect and have a better use case for people and to improve passenger numbers on it. Which as we both said, it doesn’t.

If the 21:29 was to go to Shrewsbury and cross the 20:08 at Tallerddig it would be quite a bit later than 23:20 based on the current timetable. Perhaps the 21:50 could leave Shrewsbury at 21:30 and cross it at Machynlleth instead. But even then would still arrive too late into Shrewsbury to connect with any services to Birmingham with the last being 22:40. It also creates the issue of how does the driver get back to Mach as currently the driver who drives the 19:30 from Aber between Mach and Shrewsbury brings the 21:50 back through to Aber and then back to Mach to finish.
I can think of some answers but none very realistic given TFW’s current state.
Yes. All fair enough. No easy answer on any of that really.

Calls at Whitchurch and Nantwich on the Manchesters arent great for long distance passengers however - I much prefer it when the train runs non stop Shrewsbury to Crewe.

Therefore id welcome an hourly stopper to pick up the stops between Shrewbury and Crewe. Cardiff to Manchester should be limited stop IMO.
There's always been a tension here because of course Manchester is a pretty popular destination from Nantwich and Witchurch, enough that clearly the direct services have tempted some people to use them who would otherwise have driven. It's definitely better not to stop, of course, as amply demonstrated by the introduction of a stopping service on Sundays.

Some of the peak Nantwich stops specifically cannot be cut because there's not enough capacity on the stopping service.

craigybagel

Established Member

Yes. All fair enough. No easy answer on any of that really.

There's always been a tension here because of course Manchester is a pretty popular destination from Nantwich and Witchurch, enough that clearly the direct services have tempted some people to use them who would otherwise have driven. It's definitely better not to stop, of course, as amply demonstrated by the introduction of a stopping service on Sundays.

Some of the peak Nantwich stops specifically cannot be cut because there's not enough capacity on the stopping service.
A large part of the demand on the route, to Nantwich especially, is from Manchester and not just Crewe - and unfortunately, due to the legacy of the appalling resignalling of the line, you can't give very quick connections between a local and a fast service to get around it that way. To be fair, Manchester - Cardiff will still get every second service running more limited stop (Crewe - Shrewsbury - Ludlow), and Nantwich & Whitchurch will still get a ~hourly service alternating between Crewe and Manchester, it does seem like a decent compromise, and a much better investment of limited resources than in running an hourly local service.

What strikes me is that the proposed timetables have complete disregard to connections. I've raised it before but users of the HOWL in south Shropshire / East Powys would be prevented from making journeys to Hereford / S. Wales as the connections at Craven Arms are completely unreasonable / excessively long in the morning and evening. This will have demonstrable adverse implications for students travelling to Hereford Sixth Form who rely on the current satisfactory connection at Craven Arms. Hopefully they can review this...

Starmill

Veteran Member
What strikes me is that the proposed timetables have complete disregard to connections. I've raised it before but users of the HOWL in south Shropshire / East Powys would be prevented from making journeys to Hereford / S. Wales as the connections at Craven Arms are completely unreasonable / excessively long in the morning and evening. This will have demonstrable adverse implications for students travelling to Hereford Sixth Form who rely on the current satisfactory connection at Craven Arms. Hopefully they can review this...
The market to South Wales would be tiny. Nearly everyone will either use the bus to Cardiff, park at Merthyr Tydfil, Ebbw Vale Parkway or Abergavenny for a train to Cardiff, or simply drive the whole way.