• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TfW, abandoned journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Due to flooding between Welshpool and Shrewsbury this morning the 0731 off Caersws didn't appear and seemed to be cancelled.
Because I needed to get to London I decided to abandon that journey and instead drive to Ludlow and get a train to Paddington instead.

I cannot work out how to claim for that abandoned journey and can find nothing on the website.

And now the train to Newport is late and probably won't make the 1040 connection!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Silverdale

Can anyone help, please?

An abandoned journey is one which you start, but due to disruption don't complete and where you return to the station of origin.

What ticket(s) did you have for the original, planned journey?

What ticket(s) did you use to travel from Ludlow to Paddington?

Llanigraham

On Moderation
An abandoned journey is one which you start, but due to disruption don't complete and where you return to the station of origin.

What ticket(s) did you have for the original, planned journey?

What ticket(s) did you use to travel from Ludlow to Paddington?

Original tickets are Caersws - London Terminals, Off Peak Return. (£47.90) We found out that no trains were running between Welshpool and Shrewsbury and there was no bus substitution, but no-one could get any details of what was happening between Caersws and Welshpool.
These tickets were bought direct from the TfW website.

Because of the lack of information I drove to Ludlow and purchased a new Off Peak Return Ludlow - London Terminals. (£66.60) since I was supposed to be chairing a meeting in London at 1200. Luckily the meeting start was delayed by an hour.

I have looked on the TfW website can see no method of refunding the original unused tickets.

Silverdale

You are entitled to a refund for the return ticket you couldn't use due to delays/cancellation of the train at Caersws. As you purchased the ticket from TfW, you're right to seek to claim the refund from them.

Not sure how anyone is supposed to find information on the TfW site. Seems quite haphazard, however, I used Google to locate https://tfwrail.wales/ticket-refunds

The information there directs to their general purpose "contact us form".

TfW are obliged to refund the ticket you couldn't use, but you may want to mention that to make your journey, you had to drive to Ludlow and buy another, more expensive ticket. If you make a reasonably worded request for some consideration of that, you might get a discretionary amount of compensation in addition to the refund you are entitled to.

Last edited:

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Thank you very much. Having arrived home at just before midnight I think that will be a job for the morrow.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Finally got through on the phone as their web site doesn't want to work properly and a full refund offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.