• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TFW Mark 4/197 diagrams from Shrewsbury

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernyoshi

Hi, I assume this is the right place to put this - does anyone know which trains out of Shrewsbury towards Manchester or Chester at or around 10:20am on weekdays next week (25 April specifically) are Mark 4 or 197-run? And the same for trains arriving from these places before 17:30? Sorry for the detail of the question but I don't know if there's an easy place to find these details, and I want a ride on a new train! (It's not every day they come to these parts lol)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW has the details you're looking for (for Mark 4 sets anyway).
For example (posted last Thursday #2,353 ):
Until May weekday diagrams are:
Mon-Fri 3 diagrams
06:27 Manchester to Cardiff
11:25 Cardiff to Holyhead
16:36 Holyhead to Cardiff

06:48 Cardiff-Holyhead
11:33 Holyhead to Cardiff
17:14 Cardiff to Holyhead

05:33 Holyhead to Cardiff
10:52 Cardiff to Manchester
14:30 Manchester to Cardiff
18:55 Cardiff to Manchester

Saturday 2 diagrams:
04:35 Cardiff-Manchester
08:30 Manchester-Cardiff
12:52 Cardiff-Manchester
16:30 Manchester-Swansea

04:54 Crewe-Cardiff
08:49 Cardiff-Manchester
12:30 Manchester-Cardiff
16:49 Cardiff-Manchester
I"ve highlighted two trains which match your criteria I think. Best to check on the day to be sure.
EDIT Incorrect, I didn't read my quote properly, these are Saturday diagrams and not weekday diagrams.

Last edited:

southernyoshi

Oh thank you :) I was pasting my post into that thread you suggested while you were posting that here!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You won't find any 197s on these services for a while yet.
They are on routes from Chester to Liverpool (via Runcorn), Llandudno, Holyhead, Manchester Airport and Crewe (and one to/from Wrexham).
You'll find very similar WMT 196s between Shrewsbury and Birmingham.

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW has the details you're looking for (for Mark 4 sets anyway).
For example (posted last Thursday #2,353 ):

I"ve highlighted two trains which match your criteria I think. Best to check on the day to be sure.
Oh thank you :) I was pasting my post into that thread you suggested while you were posting that here!
The highlighted services are Saturday services. Those services won't be Mk4 until May TT on a weekday.

southernyoshi

I'm confused, that RTT link has the 10:53 to Manchester as a 110 mph diesel locomotive on 25 April...is that not a mark 4?

jfollows

Established Member
I'm confused, that RTT link has the 10:53 to Manchester as a 110 mph diesel locomotive on 25 April...is that not a mark 4?
Not to be trusted, the link might be accurate nearer the time but the other thread will be the place to look for more accurate information.
The timetable source for RTT is usually from a longer-term timetable until nearer the time, when it may be over-written by short-term changes. But there's been so much chopping and changing to the Mark 4 sets and their diagrams (see the other thread) that it's not stable or predictable.

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Not to be trusted, the link might be accurate nearer the time but the other thread will be the place to look for more accurate information.
The timetable source for RTT is usually from a longer-term timetable until nearer the time, when it may be over-written by short-term changes. But there's been so much chopping and changing to the Mark 4 sets and their diagrams (see the other thread) that it's not stable or predictable.
That won't be a Mk4 until May TT change. They were planned to go over at December hence why it is pathed as one. Will be a unit for now. Only diagrams are the ones posted above currently.

southernyoshi

Aha, thank you - crafty timetable misleading us like that! So those three are the weekday diagrams for Mark 4 then...ok :)
Are the new Merseyrail trains on the Chester line yet? If there's no new TFW trains usable yet I might go to Liverpool instead to see it all dressed up for Eurovision :)

jfollows

Established Member
Aha, thank you - crafty timetable misleading us like that! So those three are the weekday diagrams for Mark 4 then...ok :)
Are the new Merseyrail trains on the Chester line yet? If there's no new TFW trains usable yet I might go to Liverpool instead to see it all dressed up for Eurovision :)
777s on Kirkby line only according to other threads here.
EDIT Plus a few Ormskirk now too.

Last edited:

southernyoshi

Well I went to Manchester, no Mark 4s around - but I was a bit surprised that both trains I used were 153s and in half an hour at Shrewsbury, all the way there and back, and 20 more minutes at Shrewsbury returning, I only saw one 175 right at the end! I thought they'd brought most of those back - have they settled on this timetable arrangement for now & are gonna go straight to 197s when they come in (May?)

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Well I went to Manchester, no Mark 4s around - but I was a bit surprised that both trains I used were 153s and in half an hour at Shrewsbury, all the way there and back, and 20 more minutes at Shrewsbury returning, I only saw one 175 right at the end! I thought they'd brought most of those back - have they settled on this timetable arrangement for now & are gonna go straight to 197s when they come in (May?)
No Manchester services are booked 197 from May. They do hope however to start rolling them out on the services during the summer I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.