• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tfw Talent Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leospinks

Has anyone had or knows anyone who are in the TFW talent pool for a trainee train driver who's had a job offer yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dragon Breath

Not yet. I applied in March, and heard last week that I’m in the talent pool.

Email said as and when courses arise throughout 2020 and 2021, they will be in touch with further information of a potential start date.

The “2020” suggests courses starting very soon, perhaps there are a batch of successful applicants from older talent pools that will be given imminent start dates.

Sal79

I’m in the same position, applied in March, completed the last test 1st September, confirmation email a week later stating I’m in the pool. Where have you applied for?

John1927

I’m also in the pool for Cardiff.

Understand there’s a course in October but I’m assuming it’s too late for any of us who have just got in the pool.

Not sure how true it is but apparently it’ll be external applicants first? Or is that just wishful thinking

Dragon Breath

Understand there’s a course in October but I’m assuming it’s too late for any of us who have just got in the pool.

Not sure how true it is but apparently it’ll be external applicants first? Or is that just wishful thinking
Where did you hear that? Obviously good for us externals if that’s the case.

Hard not to check emails every few hours!

LCC106

Established Member
On another thread it’s mentioned that those with higher scores get on to the courses first. No idea how true that is but I’d be surprised if externals bypass internals.

John1927

Where did you hear that? Obviously good for us externals if that’s the case.

Hard not to check emails every few hours!

At the end of the MMI when asking about the next steps, it was mentioned to me but that was only because she said they’d have to recruit to replace internal. But may not be the case!

I know how you feel about the refreshing

Ghost_rider

The October course has been pushed back to November so there's still time to get medicals in along with your average notice period.

Just hoping these new spikes of the virus don't interrupt matters once again. There's also the possibility they plan on doing classroom lessons via Microsoft teams, which I believe has been done in other companies.

RedRobin

The October course has been pushed back to November so there's still time to get medicals in along with your average notice period.

Just hoping these new spikes of the virus don't interrupt matters once again. There's also the possibility they plan on doing classroom lessons via Microsoft teams, which I believe has been done in other companies.

How do you know its been pushed back? I know someone on October course from a friend of a friend and they don't know this

I heard its pretty fair they get a mix of internal and external to make it fair

Not yet. I applied in March, and heard last week that I’m in the talent pool.

Email said as and when courses arise throughout 2020 and 2021, they will be in touch with further information of a potential start date.

The “2020” suggests courses starting very soon, perhaps there are a batch of successful applicants from older talent pools that will be given imminent start dates.

The courses for Oct/Nov are booked up next one due January and potentially one every month with a mix of internal and external I believe

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
Internals places on these courses are subject to their being able to be released. It's not just driver training that's been affected by Covid, but all training - so there hasn't been many be conductors coming through. And without them, it's hard for existing conductors to be released to go driving. (The same is of course true for all internal candidates, but the vast majority of internals who go driving are conductors and it's conductors who are the hardest to replace).

Samfa

I attended my scaat verification last week for the trainee conductor role and received an email to say I’ve been successful and placed in a talent pool the same day. This is for 12 months they did say they were hopeful that courses will take place towards the end of this year or beginning of next

RedRobin

Internals places on these courses are subject to their being able to be released. It's not just driver training that's been affected by Covid, but all training - so there hasn't been many be conductors coming through. And without them, it's hard for existing conductors to be released to go driving. (The same is of course true for all internal candidates, but the vast majority of internals who go driving are conductors and it's conductors who are the hardest to replace).

Good news is that conductors has been released for Oct/Nov courses up to 5 of them so its a good start for things to get moving.

Ghost_rider

How do you know its been pushed back? I know someone on October course from a friend of a friend and they don't know this

I heard its pretty fair they get a mix of internal and external to make it fair

The courses for Oct/Nov are booked up next one due January and potentially one every month with a mix of internal and external I believe

Just what I was told from someone who works there.

In my DMI they said there was a course in October, then another starting early next year and didn't mention one commencing in November, which is now scheduled to happen.

I took this as confirmation of what I was told was true and that October's was delayed, but if your friend hasn't been informed his October course has changed then obviously it hasn't. Maybe the November course is in addition to the October course and the TfW employee got their wire's crossed??

dk1

Veteran Member
Never heard of it until this last year & I still don't really know what a talent pool actually is.

RedRobin

Just what I was told from someone who works there.

In my DMI they said there was a course in October, then another starting early next year and didn't mention one commencing in November, which is now scheduled to happen.

I took this as confirmation of what I was told was true and that October's was delayed, but if your friend hasn't been informed his October course has changed then obviously it hasn't. Maybe the November course is in addition to the October course and the TfW employee got their wire's crossed??

These courses Oct/Nov are from Jan/Feb 2019 recruitment drive and not the one from this year (acron) which was advertised. The folk from 2020 recruitment drive will start sometime next year as they are using the people from 2019 first as its a different recruitment drive.

Ghostrider are u in the pool?

Ghost_rider

These courses Oct/Nov are from Jan/Feb 2019 recruitment drive and not the one from this year (acron) which was advertised. The folk from 2020 recruitment drive will start sometime next year as they are using the people from 2019 first as its a different recruitment drive.

Ghostrider are u in the pool?

Aaah right, I didn't realise they had people waiting in a pool from last year, that's fair enough.

Yes mate I'm in the pool, I applied in March. I think they might be placing the odd person from this year's recruitment onto these courses as well.

Were you in a pool from last year then?

RedRobin

Aaah right, I didn't realise they had people waiting in a pool from last year, that's fair enough.

Yes mate I'm in the pool, I applied in March. I think they might be placing the odd person from this year's recruitment onto these courses as well.

Were you in a pool from last year then?

I have a family member in that pool so I know alot but I'm waiting myself like you in this pool. Not sure how many externals are from 2109 but I dont believe it's many. 2021 courses should be full of everyone from feb/March applications so I dont think we will have long to wait.

Boydy

I’m in the 2019 pool and still awaiting a course date, not sure how many from that pool are left, only had my mmi last month.

Slipper

I'm also in the pool, from March intake. Had MMI on the 3rd September. Was also told about courses starting all next year. Hope they still need us all with Covid going on though, any time I see a train it's empty

Slipper

The commuter trains have been quieter due to covid but some trains have been very busy due to all the public going shopping or out at weekends. The holiday destination trains have been especially busy, you must have missed seeing them trains.
TFW are recruiting due to planned increasing of services on many routes, plus the future plan to have a full timetable on sundays. So more traincrew are needed to fullfil the franchise agreement

Yes good points mate, no I have not seen a lot of trains to be fair.

Leemini

Hi guys. Any tips on the computer part of the assessment or the mmi? Got my second part coming soon

PickleTree

Hi guys. Any tips on the computer part of the assessment or the mmi? Got my second part coming soon
Computer tests are straight forward, I found the 2 hand co-ordination test the trickiest as it is the one you can’t really practice. Speed and accuracy is the key with all the tests. The MMI is the hardest part IMO as it is a competency based interview but they very much focus on the psychological aspects of your answers to ensure you aren’t making the answer up. Use the STAR method and you should be fine.

Leospinks

Computer tests were pretty straight forward . Try to relax in the interview and be as detailed as you can try to stick to the STAR format and try not to waffle about anything that's not relevant .. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.